The gar spawn is on

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadmeat

Reaction score
I went bowfishing on Ft. Loudoun Lake today and the gar spawn is on. At times I could see 8-10 gar at a time, most of them paired up or several together. I got seven in about the first hour or so, the smallest being 42" and the largest 52". After the first hour they disappeared and I spent the next three hours without any luck at all. A few days before I did some bowfishing for carp and buffalo and got a few of each but I just had to try out my gar honey hole today and wasn't disappointed.

Yeah, for me it was. After not having bowfished for seven years I figured I'd not hit much of anything but the first two shots were long ones and I got them both. Then, just about the time I was congratulating myself on not having lost my archery skills, I missed about the next eight shots or so. Kind of keeps you humble.

I've got this nasty habit of leaving the camera at home so no pics of the last trip. Going out again this week so I'll take it then (and, as usual, get skunked when I have the camera with me).

I went out again yesterday and got 5. Here's a pic of one of them as well as a couple more swimming by.

Attachments

• Gar 2.jpg
    Gar 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,841
  • Gar 1.jpg
    Gar 1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,841
They are hard to hit and they're pretty much armor-plated so if you don't hit them square on and with a sharp arrow you'll roll them like a log.

Latest posts