The Ontario Salmon Derby

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been on the boards in the past month and a half, I was too busy spending my days doing the Salmon Hunt. I was going out consistantly and picking off 25-28lb Kings but nothing worth weighing in atleast for the first 4 weeks :p. Well week 5 (2nd week of August) came in and I finally hit a huge King. Hit off a green and chrome flasher and a green fly. 80ft deep in 150ft of water. Weight at the boat was 30.18lbs, but due to the loss of blood and fluids during the transporting to the weigh in the official weight at the scales was 29.94lbs. We were in 2nd place for a day and then dropped steadily down to 9th on the 2nd last day. The friday came and we managed 10th so thats $500+ a chance at the fish off tournament with the other top 10 winners for the 7 weeks so thats 70 other boats. We came home with $500 cash and another $300 worth of tackle and a tackle box and a lucky strike net. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of that big King because the hurry to get it to the weigh in and then had to give it to the official for observation because it was a top 3 fish for that day.

I have pics of other catches that I had.

Enjoy!

200807311250490006nb2.jpg

24lb King
200807311239490004zm4.jpg

24lb and 27lb Kings
200806291910010004gi3.jpg

12lb Rainbow Trout (you can tell on my face that I was really happy) :lol:
200809130806000001th2.jpg

The 70 boats at the Championship Fish-Off

Waterwings said:
Good to see you posting again! Nice catchin' and pics. Nice pic of the boats. Were they coming in to the weigh-in?

Congrats on the $$ and prize wins! 8)
Thanks alot man! The boats were actually lining up for the start. We were 3rd in the front, behind a 18ft Starcraft with a 150hp Suzuki 4stroke and a 19ft Crestliner with a 225hp Verado. They both launched before we did but then we passed the Starcraft and caught up to the Crestliner to then pass him, we topped out at 60.2mph because the top was up.

Waterwings said:
They both launched before we did but then we passed the Starcraft and caught up to the Crestliner to then pass him, we topped out at 60.2mph because the top was up.

Cool! If you would've lowered the top it might have been like kicking-in some nitrous!
3540_boat_smilie.gif
LOL, ya that what it seems like, if everything is good we would hit around 63mph with the top down.

Man that looks like fun - thanks for the report

How do those salmon taste - people here will go catch them during the spring and fall run in Polanski and Salmon river and say they are not that good to eat

Nice report.
Good looking fish,nice that you got some $ and goodies for them.

Captain Ahab said:
Man that looks like fun - thanks for the report

How do those salmon taste - people here will go catch them during the spring and fall run in Polanski and Salmon river and say they are not that good to eat
Thanks man!

Honestly, I can say that Salmon is probably the most tastiest. ONLY if its from open water and the meat is still red and firm. Normally during the runs here in Ontario, Canada...the meat turns white and soft during the runs so the quality really isn't that great.

Jim said:
Welcome back, I was wondering what happened to you. Good job bringing home the $ and prizes. =D>
Thanks alot man. I was just so caught up and determined in this derby. Especially after the last derby I lost by 2oz lol, and last years derby this charter boat captain was talking smack so I had to show him up this year.

FishinsMyLife said:
Good to see you're still around, and nice catchin!
Thanks alot man. I just got this new Speed and Temp probe so hopefully I get to try it out this week and take some pics. I have been scouting rivers recently and still not very much movement (not in my area yet). Georgian Bay is feeling like a good idea though. :idea:

Latest posts