This winter has got to End!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97Aero

Reaction score
Got my G3 1860CCJ all rigged up and ready to hit the River. Took a look at the Potomac at lunch today in Williamsport in the slight hope that it would cooperate as it is supposed to be 55 degrees tomorrow. Not a chance floating that tomorrow as theres still ice floating down and its defiantly not safe….Guess she will spend some more time in the garage..

Crap!

Memorial day weekend is usually my first trip on the river. It seems most springs are too wet or the river too high / muddy to have fun fishing on. Give me a late July evening with the river gauge sitting around 1' and it's game time.

I try to get out on my bday (4-24) every year for the first run, been fairly successful the last few years.

March is next week then a lot of positive thinking will get us all there!!!

I just went down to SE MO yesterday to get the boat in order for a Mid March Trip, it was 60+ degrees. However all the rivers still had chunks of ice and most of the smaller lakes had ice as well. With the temps going back down into the 20's this week, i hope my mid march trip isnt a bust. :shock:

I've been out on the Potomac between Hancock and Williamsport all winter duck/goose hunting. Sick of the cold, ice and high water though. Coldest morning hunting was 4 degrees, and we float hunted New Years day with the Williamsport gauge at 6.7 and the Hancock gauge at 9.4. I feel safest on the river when it's below those levels. Ready for some warmer days, clearer water and fishing time!!

Yep, someone forgot to pay the oil bill again so back to the cold for a week or so. Saw the Potomac was halfway up to the canal towpath this morning on the way home from work.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342738#p342738 said:
BigTerp » 24 Feb 2014, 14:38[/url]"]I've been out on the Potomac between Hancock and Williamsport all winter duck/goose hunting. Sick of the cold, ice and high water though. Coldest morning hunting was 4 degrees, and we float hunted New Years day with the Williamsport gauge at 6.7 and the Hancock gauge at 9.4. I feel safest on the river when it's below those levels. Ready for some warmer days, clearer water and fishing time!!

Looking at the river last friday in Williamsport and comparing it to the gauge it was 6.5. ****. Hope you bagged a couple of geese to be out there in those conditions.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342790#p342790 said:
97Aero » Yesterday, 10:18 pm[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342738#p342738 said:
BigTerp » 24 Feb 2014, 14:38[/url]"]I've been out on the Potomac between Hancock and Williamsport all winter duck/goose hunting. Sick of the cold, ice and high water though. Coldest morning hunting was 4 degrees, and we float hunted New Years day with the Williamsport gauge at 6.7 and the Hancock gauge at 9.4. I feel safest on the river when it's below those levels. Ready for some warmer days, clearer water and fishing time!!

Looking at the river last friday in Williamsport and comparing it to the gauge it was 6.5. ****. Hope you bagged a couple of geese to be out there in those conditions.

That was at 6 a.m. By the time you looked at it at noon, I'd bet it was closer to 8'. We ended up with 3 ducks and 2 geese that day. Floated from behind my house (right below dam 5) down to Williamsport, then motored back up. Wasn't bad at all. Definitely couldn't set up any decoys or do any fishing with it that high though, but was about perfect for float hunting. The crazier thing was people were jumping in the river that morning for the "Polar Bear Plunge". Wasn't really the best conditions for swimming.

I have a long ways to go in New York. The kids and I went out ice fishing yesterday well over a foot of ice and today was a high temp of 16 degrees. #-o

You guys are right, this madness has to end. When I went to work yesterday morning it was -16, on my way home at 9:00pm it was -21 :evil: We have around 3 feet of snow on the ground and the ice on the lakes is approaching 3 feet thick! We are currently the 8 coldest winter on record, since like 1860 and are on pace to be in the top 3 coldest all time. We have had 49 days below zero this winter and have 5 more in the forecast! One thing this weather does is weed out all the riff raff. :mrgreen:

I'm itching to get the jet outboard put on the boat but it's not even worth thinking about it yet. I just picked up a newer truck and I'm trying to get that all sorted out with wheels/tires so that has been a bit of a distraction. But every time I go into the garage, there's a jet sitting on one side and my speed skiff sitting on the other side. I took the speed skiff out in early March last year but I doubt that will happen this year. On the bright side, we change the clocks this coming weekend so it will be light out later after work! Now I'm gonna want to start playing golf too!

It was 78 degrees yesterday evening and at 5 pm an arctic blast blew in and dropped the temp down to 45 in a matter of a couple of minutes...craziness.

It was 78 degrees yesterday evening and at 5 pm an arctic blast blew in and dropped the temp down to 45 in a matter of a couple of minutes...craziness.[/quote]

What I would give to have your Arctic blast right now. They held their annual FYB tournament last weekend on pool 4 on the Mississippi last weekend. Temps stayed between 0 and -8 from what I heard.

Went out to lake for couple hours last Saturday and then Sunday we had a blizzard. I must be getting old, let this winter END.