TinBoat Stern Light Recommendations?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott1298

Reaction score
What size/kind of sternlight would you guys recommend? Most of the ones for sale seem way over powered for what I need on a "little lake" tin? I'm thinking a 24" Attwood Allround Stow-Away on my 15' Jon... I know the regulations probably say it's too short, but it's comparable to the portable models in height and I like the idea of running off my marine battery. But will it be blinding when trying to operate the boat at night?

Thx,

Scott ;Your on the right track.I went with the LED mod on both ends of mine ..Just because of they use so little battery juice...And supposeidly last so long time will tell around this salt water..cva34

LED for sure; all commercial models will meet requirements for brightness. When on "short" mounts, the light do easily get in my eyes and hurt night vision...so I like 'em at regulation height but on a collapsable or removable shaft so they don't get n the way when not needed. And around here at least, safety checks require you to demonstrate that the anchor light (stern) can be operated separately from your running lights on the bow.

rickybobbybend said:
LED for sure; all commercial models will meet requirements for brightness. When on "short" mounts, the light do easily get in my eyes and hurt night vision...so I like 'em at regulation height but on a collapsable or removable shaft so they don't get n the way when not needed. And around here at least, safety checks require you to demonstrate that the anchor light (stern) can be operated separately from your running lights on the bow.

This got me thinking. I thought you always ran both bow and stern lights anytime your on the water after dusk until dawn. What is the regulation on this? Bow lights and stern light when running and stern light only when anchored?

BigTerp said:
rickybobbybend said:

This got me thinking. I thought you always ran both bow and stern lights anytime your on the water after dusk until dawn. What is the regulation on this? Bow lights and stern light when running and stern light only when anchored?

Yep, that's it. The idea is that the two different configurations give other operators a better idea as to whether you are underway.

id definately get something that meets requirements. never know when your gonna run into a dnr officer who Will enforce the regs, and when they do the citations arent cheap..

here in GA i believe stern light has to be 36" higher than bow light. so i havent bought one yet since i havent found one i like. just gonna wait till i make a trip to basspro. not to mention having that light out of your face would definatley be easier on the eyes.

Driftingrz said:
id definately get something that meets requirements. never know when your gonna run into a dnr officer who Will enforce the regs, and when they do the citations arent cheap..

here in GA i believe stern light has to be 36" higher than bow light. so i havent bought one yet since i havent found one i like. just gonna wait till i make a trip to basspro. not to mention having that light out of your face would definatley be easier on the eyes.

I'm still looking for something I like too, but I can see why out of the eyes is important.

rickybobbybend said:
BigTerp said:
rickybobbybend said:

Yep, that's it. The idea is that the two different configurations give other operators a better idea as to whether you are underway.

Did not know that...tks

Thanks for the lesson on nav light requirements. Better than getting a lesson from Mr. Green Jeans!!

What length anchor light poles are you guys using? I'll be having a rear deck on my Tracker from bench to transom that will have a pin mounted seat attached. I can see the anchor light being a real distraction while fishing from the deck if I get one that is to low.

36 inches over the bow height. That also gets it high enough to reduce interfere with night vision. But it will interfere with casting (and playing fish) during the day, so I prefer a removable or telescoping pole that get stowed till needed.

Latest posts