Today we built a trailer. Done 3-15-2009

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I didn't let this project die its just been hibernating. LOL I actually put my day off to good use for a change and got some work done. First off I have to throw in a plug for my local trailer supplier American Trailer in Poplar Bluff, Mo., I took the 4.80x8 tires and wheels back to out there today to see if they would do some swapping with me since they had just been sitting in the shop. They gave me a full refund and I picked up a set of 4.80x12s that fit this thing perfect. How is that for customer service? I bought them back in August.

I also got the taillight mounts welded on, and I split the old fenders a little and spread them so I so they would fit the taller tires better. I hope to get them welded on tomorrow night and be almost ready for prime/ paint.

On to the photos, you didn't think I wouldn't have any did you? :mrgreen:

P1190112%20copy.jpg

P1190111%20copy.jpg

P1190114%20copy.jpg

P1190118%20copy.jpg

Till tomorrow..........................

looking good man... I need to do some welding on my trailer too... I'm re-fabing my bow stop and need to add some guide mounts too..

Waterwings said:
Not many people will take the extra time to radius and grind the corners & edges smooth.
And it only takes one slam with a shin to quickly gain a hatred for "many people".... :lol: :lol:

russ010 said:
looking good man... I need to do some welding on my trailer too... I'm re-fabing my bow stop and need to add some guide mounts too..
Next time we fish the river, bring your trailer along. I am not but about 7 minutes down the road from it. Dad won't mind running a few beads if ya need.

Waterwings said:
As I've said before, you do great work! Not many people will take the extra time to radius and grind the corners & edges smooth. Attention to detail goes a long ways! 8)

Thank you sir, I'm no pro welder but I try to make all of my pieces look good before I booger weld (not that bad but nothing to show off about) them on there. :D

bassboy1 said:
And it only takes one slam with a shin to quickly gain a hatred for "many people".... :lol: :lol:

Oh that's no lie.

If me or Broncoman ever hit the Lotto and get to open up our fab shop I'll let you know. :)

We bent some tube for this on Saturday. Oddly enough I forgot my camera so no pics of the cage we bent up.

P1010127.jpg

I recognized it as a Pinto right away. The tell tale sign of that rear end was all I needed. Any plans to relocate the tank?

The tailer is looking very professional! You've done a very good job.

Wow, great job on the trailer, you have put a lot of work in it, makes me really excited to see what that's gonna look like!

baptistpreach said:
Wow, great job on the trailer, you have put a lot of work in it, makes me really excited to see what that's gonna look like!

Thanks, I am very happy with the way it is turning out. I just ordered the lights and wiring for it today and I hope to get the fenders done tonight, and start on the new winch stand. I'd like to be getting it in primer by Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Well I haven't got much done lately. I did start trying to finalize the hub situation. If I hadn't explained before, I found out that the 1 time my brand new bearings were in the water I killed them. The sealing surface on the spindle was shot and the hubs filled with water. I didn't really want to build or buy a new axle. I found these from Bearing Buddy Spindle Seal by Bearing Buddy.

spindle.gif

Hopefully this will cure my problem. I had to order them online due to the fact that no one around here had ever heard of them much less seen them. I'm hopefully going to get back to work on this thing. I need to get the boat ready to fish out of.

The spindle seals got here looks like they will work out great just as advertised. Actually never seen the advertised I had to hunt them down. :roll: I'll take some pics when I actually do the install. I have test fit them though.

I also caught a very warm afternoon yesterday and decided to get some paint prep done. I already had most of any wire brush work I needed to do done so all that was needed was to wipe the are steel down with thinner and spray the primer. So in a whirlwind of about 2 hours I got all of the bottom surfaces and sides of the tubes in etching primer (4.79 a can Wally World automotive section). @3:00 I was able to run by the house and roll the trailer out in the sun so it could warm up nicely. So at 4:00 when I got off all I had to do was change clothes and get it done. Not reall ymuch to see right now so no pics. Not sure what the weather is going to do to me in the next few days so its back to waiting but hey I'm one step closer.

Let me know how those bearing seals work for you. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 50+ yr old boat trailer and put the hubs in with regular bearing grease, not even thinking about using marine grease until after I had them all together. I'm trying to do this thing right so I'm gonna take them back out, clean 'em and refill 'em again. Also, could you post the link to where you got those things?

Your trailer (and boat) look great and I can't wait to see the finished product. I guess I should post some pictures of my build since I've gotten so many good ideas from people on this board in the short time I've been a member.

Codeman said:
Ok I didn't let this project die its just been hibernating. LOL I actually put my day off to good use for a change and got some work done. First off I have to throw in a plug for my local trailer supplier American Trailer in Poplar Bluff, Mo., I took the 4.80x8 tires and wheels back to out there today to see if they would do some swapping with me since they had just been sitting in the shop. They gave me a full refund and I picked up a set of 4.80x12s that fit this thing perfect. How is that for customer service? I bought them back in August.

I also got the taillight mounts welded on, and I split the old fenders a little and spread them so I so they would fit the taller tires better. I hope to get them welded on tomorrow night and be almost ready for prime/ paint.

On to the photos, you didn't think I wouldn't have any did you? :mrgreen:

P1190112%20copy.jpg

P1190111%20copy.jpg

P1190114%20copy.jpg

P1190118%20copy.jpg

Till tomorrow..........................

Trailer looks good. Your doing great work. I did notice the Super Swampers and Buggy in the background.