Tough Weekend to Avoid the SKUNK (Nov 7-8&9th 2008)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Jimmy (jl_rotary) and Ian (fishonlund) met me at my place .. Ian brought the Lund so we all hit the ramp in Lewes at about 10:15pm .
We hit the CG Station in Roosevelt Inlet as this is always a back up in case "nothing" is biting but we found the lights all off and no fish playing on the surface .. The backup plan is out :(
Next stop was the Pier again to just look .. It seemed like slack tide so we went with our original plan to hit the Outter Wall .
We round the corner of the lighthouse and its a tad rougher than I like but we gave it a shot without 1 bite .
We stayed out there for about an hour and still nothing .
We gave up and headed back to CHP and fished the Pier . I finally shake that dreaded SKUNK with a little schoolie .
1002428ew6.jpg

We fished for about another 2 hours with no more fish . We had Stripers breaking under the lights but with the winds we didnt want to chance going into the wood in Ians boat . We ran into Drew and Judah wo were in the "wood" and slaying those schoolies .
We gave up around 4am . The ride back was a bit rough but we managed ..
Ian headed home and Jimmy and I went back to my place for a few ZZ's and some coffee but I over slept and didnt get up till around 11am .

At noon Jimmy and I hit The Broadkill for some Freshwater fishing . We ran into the locals including Ron (Oldmanofthesea) and Jeff (Bambeklr). Ron was tearing up fish using grass shrimp .. He even caught a tagged LMB and the youngster with him landed the exact same tagged LMB 10 inutes later .. Pretty Odd ;)
Jeff on the other hand had the hot lure and only had 1 left .. It always seems that way :) Oh well Jeff got a nice stack of Crappie and I ended up with 3 Crappie and 1 nice Gill .. Everyone else got a big Skunk .
Jimmy and I went to BK for dinner and then back to my place and waited till nightfall to try IRI .

We hit IRI at about midnight and found 1 car out front so we slip around back and find Drew and Judah out back .. They had not had 1 bite .. I figured as much but we also tried without a bite . Drew and Judah left to hit the rail and Jimmy and I werent far behind . Jimmy did however shake the 2 trip Skunk with a Flounder and only fish caught out back ..
1002429pd2.jpg

Drew wanted to leave to find some fish and I told them I'd call when they turned on ;)
They were pulling out of the lot when I hooked up so I gave them the call "to rub it in a bit ;))" . I ended up with 2 Shad and 2 Stripers .
1002430qv2.jpg

1002431kz6.jpg

We headed out back at sunrise to try the "new" spot but it was taken while we rigged up so we headed back home for coffee .. On the way I asked Jimmy to stop so I could check out a FW pond Drew and I have been talking about hitting for years .. I ahev never seen this water up close and decided it was time . We pull into a nice developement and we see a Doe walking down the Street .. The another and then a nice 10 pointer ... AWESOME sight :) Of course my camera is in the bcak of the car .. I get out and get the camera without locking eyes with the Buck (I kept asking Jimmy "Is he still there ?") I get the Camera and take a pic but he is too far away ..
1002432hn3.jpg

I decide to video but just as they come by me the red light dies :(
height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://s276.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=https://vid276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/Hengstthomas/100_2433.flv"></embed>

https://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/Hengstthomas/?action=view&current=100_2433.flv

We followed them into a park ..
1002434sv0.jpg

1002435hi8.jpg

We check the pond but saw WAY TOO many signs and I knew this wasnt a place to fish .. I also know it has some NICE fish ;)
We hit my place for some coffee and grab the FW rods and hit the Broadkill once more .
I recieved some more flies from Bryan and even a few small Shad Darts .. I thought this would be a great time to try them :) I got a few nice Gills and some nice Slabs ..
1002436bx0.jpg

1002437su0.jpg

Jimmy finally got a fish from the Broadkill as well . We gave in around noon as Jimmy had to get back home .

Not exactly setting the water on fire but atleast I managed to avoid the skunk everywhere I went ;)
I cant wait till that water clears up :)
It was great to finally fish with IAN again and I Hope its not as long before we do it again .. Heck what was it 3 ? 4 years ? .. Jimmy alway a pleasure .. I hope to see you both again real soon .