Trolling motor for primary source of power?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a 1236!! There is one on craigslist here now for 200. They are a dime a dozen around here in nc. 1436 are 300 to 400 with trolling motor.

guido611 said:
Hey guys this is my very first post and I'm very excited to join the website, a lot of great stuff on here. My question today has to do with selecting a trolling motor for a boat. I have never owned a boat and plan on purchasing a 12ft flat bottom with 32in floor. I don't think the boat weighs more than 100 lb's. I have looked around craigslist and these are the only types of boats that seem to be in my price range. Also, i don't have a trailer and cant afford one right now so 12ft boat seems suitable for me since i can just toss it in the back of the pickup. My question is will I be able to get away with just using a 55lb thrust minn kota trolling motor mounted on the transom? It will most likely just be me and a friend fishing. our combined body weight is no more than 330lbs. We will be fishing mostly small state lakes and our local susquehanna river ( central PA). The river is big but quite shallow where we are and not much current. Do you think I will be able to get any considerable speed? Is this motor too big for a small 12ft boat? Anybody have any experience with a 12ft jon boat only powered by electric? Gas motors are out of the question considering all the local lakes are electric only.

A couple of things to consider:

1. At 330 lbs + 2 batteries + gear in a 100 lb boat you're going to be close to the maximum capacity of the boat (if not exceeding). Be careful with selecting a trolling motor that will be your only source of propulsion that will require two batteries. It might be better to have 1 battery + rowing as backup.

2. If you are planning to be electric only, watch the speed vs. range equation. Full speed will drain the batteries faster than at slower speed, limiting range. If you're just going out a short distance it shouldn't matter, but if you're out on the water the whole day, changing locations all the time, it could make a difference. It might make more sense to choose a trolling motor that will go marginially slower but will not require a large draw on the battery (i.e. something in the 30 to 40 lb thrust range). Above all, know the performance characteristics of your trolling motor, such as how much range and speed will you get with a XX lb thrust motor using a YY mAH battery at each trolling motor speed setting.

Hey Guido...I am in New Cumberland. I have almost zero experience myself but I think I might be leery of getting on the Susquehanna with just a trolling motor. If you do, take it slow and be careful. I would be interested in hearing how you make out. Nice to know there is some one else on here that is close by.

Latest posts