What is the correct wire size?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
I need some help. I am ready to move my battery to the front of my 14 foot boat. I am running a 55lbs 12v MinnKota Traxxis TM. The quick connector is 10 gauge wire as is the wiring coming off of the TM. Since the run is basically 14 foot one way, what is the proper size wire to use so I dont burn down my boat? This will be the only thing hooked up to the battery and the battery is in a MinnKota power center protected with a 50 amp fuse. Any help is appreciated.

8 AWG would work, 6 would be best.
You'll probably need something like a Junction Block to join the 10 you've got to the new 8 / 6. Best to put a rubber boot on that too.

You might be able to use a plug & receptacle, and wire your existing 10 gauge to the plug, and the new leads to the receptacle.

If you go that route, and use this Minn Kota MKR-18 plug/receptacle you should be fine. But you'll also have to order this MKR 18A adapter if you use 6 AWG on the plug side.

My opinion don't matter. Minn Kotas might. https://www.minnkotamotors.com/General/What_gauge_wire_and_fuse_is_needed_for_my_motor_/]Minn Kota Motors

Colbyt said:
My opinion don't matter. Minn Kotas might. https://www.minnkotamotors.com/General/What_gauge_wire_and_fuse_is_needed_for_my_motor_/]Minn Kota Motors
According to this chart, you need 4 ga.

OK. the chart says that for a 30 ft run, I need to use 4 AWG. I will closer to 23 or 24 when all is said and done. I have found a plug for the 6 AWG. Would you trust the 6 AWG? I have also been told that I can run 2 sets of 10 AWG and still get the same result. What have you all done. I am confused. I did not think that this would turn into a science project.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. What I ended up doing was going to the marine dealer and he is making me a 14 ft long 4 AWG cable with battery connectors on one end and a TM plug on the other. He is also going to wire the plug to my TM. I am getting this all done for $60 which I think is a very good deal. All I have to do is lay it in my boat. Once again, thanks for all the assistance.

Tim

I just picked up the fabricated cable from the marine dealer. I had him put an extra 3 feet onto it so it is 17 feet long. I fugure this way I will have enough to run it under or around the seats. Grand total it came to $86 and I know that it is done right. I am going to run it into the boat later today. I will post some photos.

Tim

Latest posts