What is this ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commandohorn

Reaction score
I am picking up my "new to me" Johnson 4 hp deluxe this weekend. My first Johnson! What is this control on the front beside the choke? Is it idle speed adjustment? I highlighted it in the photo.front johnson.jpg

If it's like mine, that the fuel/oil mixture... rich to lean

Mine only works turn all the way to... the right - can't remember if it's rich or lean but it's working and I'm not messing with it!

russ010 said:

Mine only works turn all the way to... the right - can't remember if it's rich or lean but it's working and I'm not messing with it!

Don't you mean fuel to AIR mixture? Any guidelines for where to set it?

leave it in the middle, when you take the boat out next adjust it small incraments untill you find a spot it runs best. rember when you adjust it you'll have to wait a minute or 2 for the fuel in the crank to burn out before you notice the adjustment

the weather will also affect your air/fuel ratio on older 2strokes so whats perfect on a hot sunny day may be alittle off on a cold day. eather or it shouldnt make a big difference

once you run it for a day pull your plug and check the color. good easy way to is the motors running to rich/lean

commandohorn said:
russ010 said:

Don't you mean fuel to AIR mixture? Any guidelines for where to set it?
Yeah, try AIR, not oil. The oil is dumped into the tank, and mixed around, so there is no changing that. The knob is connected to the needle valve in the carb. Rough adjustments are made by hand with the needle valve, then it is connected to the knob, for fine adjustments. The fine adjustments are needed as the temp changes, and as altitude changes, if you travel with the motor.

That 4.0 deluxe is probably the best motor in existence. If you don't believe me, ask anyone else who has one (and also has other motors for a comparison). Just about any small Johnson/Evinrude guru will surely put that on the very top of their list. I have a 1988 Evinrude 4 Deluxe.

Yes! I am counting on bulletproof! Gotta 10 ft jon & a 16 ft scanoe I think will be be a perfect fit. One of my lakes is 10 HP or less restriction, the other is just small. Might be my favorite engine to date....