What kind of motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybereyes

Reaction score
So my 14 ft Jon says it can take up to a 25hp motor, so of course thats what I want. But there are so many options and price differences out there. Like some say they are short shaft and some are long, some are 2 stroke and some are 4 stroke. I know my 4 stroke dirt bikes in the past have always been reliable, but for marine applications I don't know which is better. SO

For my flat bottom boat which will also have a trolling motor for shallow water applications, what should I be sure to get? Long or short shaft? 2 or 4 stroke? Are there any other things I should be looking for? I know manual and electric start, but I really don't care on that one, I would of course prefer electric start, but I can live without it if needed.

Oh and why the heck do none of the major dealers like gander mountain, bass pro etc show you their engines online. You see them in the store, but no where online can you find a listing for a boat motor aside from trolling.

Hi,long or short shaft is dictated by the height of your boat transom ,15in for short and 20 in for long..you could modify your boat accordingly...but it would be a lot simpler to by the right motor(ei,15in or 20in leg) hope this helps Mike

So where do I measure from? The top of the boat to the bottom of the boat? Oh and do you know if one is better than the other 2 stroke or 4 stroke for a 25 hp engine?

Measure from where the motor clamps onto the boat,straight down to the bottom of the boat (ei 90 degrees)dont measure on the angle of the transom it may give you a wrong reading.As far as two cycle versus 4 cycle,it is a touchy issue,two cycles are getting banned on certain lakes, and in many places in the U.S.A because of their pollution levels...;it has not yet taken effect in Canada...A two cycle will be lighter by 15 to 20 lbs depending on horse power and engine make(it may vary by quite a bit)...4cycle are quieter and may use less gasoline, 2cycle are less complicated to repair,and generally, (if reasonably taken care of) ...thougher than nails: there is two school of thoughts on these options,,,personally I prefer two cycle engines because of their simplicity,and the fact that they are not yet banned on this side of the border...new two cycle engines in lower hp are quite hard to find, I beleive they have been banned in the states,,,and are also hard to come by in Canada.You will find that on many boating sites that there is quite a debate on them options pros vs cons...Mike

Thanks for the response. It sounds like it might be easier to go with a 4 stroke if I decide to buy new, and If I go used and happen to get a good deal on a 2 stroke I won't be too upset. I will try and measure it out to figure out what I need. I thought that maybe Jon boats might be pretty common on one size or the other short or long so I thought I would ask.

Ok so I measured my transom from the top to the bottom while holding the measuring tape out. Holding it out it looks to be about 15 inches. Holding it right next to the boat it comes to 16 inches from top to bottom. Does this mean I need a short shaft (15inch)??

I'm definitely a 2 stroke fan, but I'm like you, I'd take a 4. There isn't any talk of banning them here, so check into it first!

i have had both. i'll take 4stroke over 2 anydaythey can be a little more costly but i think you save in long run on gas and oil.