WI - before the storm

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Yesterday was cloudy and calm all day long - forecast called for rain starting about 8pm. The pressure was supposed to drop, the sun wasn't warming the water and the skiers would be gone -so a friend and I set up plans to go out after work and absolutely clean up on fish. The fish however had a different view.
We started at 5pm - fishing a sandy, rise from 30 feet up to 3 feet, the break had weeds all over it, and the top was open sand with patchy weeds - my absolute favorite spot to fish - usually loaded with summer bass. I started by throwing my red and black spinnerbait with charcoal and red blades - an veritable killer on cloudy, rainy days. It was slow at first, then I pulled in 3 northerns in about 15 minutes. My buddy switched to the same color and got nothing. I managed another northern when we reached the end of the break, then we decided to do the run it again. It was slow and he put on a crawler an picked up a crappie. With the bass taking the night off, we switched to crappie techniques with no hookups. We tried trolling for one pass and I caught one, but we were getting hung up cause of my bad boat control. Finally we found some bait being chased, tossed out a bouy and held position. The crappie seemed to be 8 - 14 feet down anywhere from the sand to 25+fow off the break. Yeah, some pattern we develeped :) We fished as slow as we could and would get some hookups, but not a lot. Really light bites (like a dragonfly landing on your rod) - and I had left my sensative crappie rod at home #-o Never again will I assume a rod is in the boat. One cast I had 4 nibbles before I hooked up on the 5th bite. For an impatient person, this type of fishing is killer.
We ended the day with 9-10 crappie/good gills in the livewell. In 3 hours of fishing, we caught maybe 30 fish (bass, northern, crappie, gills) but it was painfully slow at times.

Next time, bring the right equipment!!!!

Latest posts