Wire Management/Cable Straps...any good ones?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogman Ladue

Reaction score
The majority of wiring in my boat is wrapped with 1/2" split loom and [strike]currently[/strike] was supported by GB 1/2" cable straps like this....

1d77727d-a31e-4fbf-ac24-eb9f4cc47c76_300.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5y...=-1&keyword=plastic+cable+clamp&storeId=10051

...It worked out great and looked great for about 30 miles. By the time I got to the lake, all the straps had broken from road bumps.

What are you guys using to secure wiring? Does anyone have a reccomendation on a similar product that won't break?

Those plastic GB ones break too easily. I've had better luck with these aluminum ones from GB.
f4feab85-31c8-4845-8521-5953567a0bb9_300.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical/electrical-tools-accessories/gardner-bender/1-4-in-ez-clip-aluminum-15-clam-98587.html

I've got a different brand of the 1/2" plastic ones that I use at work. They are pretty tough. I also have the cable ties with holes in them like the ones posted here. If you shoot me a PM with your address and how many you need I will send you both types for free.

I have some metal clips just like the plastic ones you posted that work great on the race car. Haven't used any on my boat though.

Palmer812 said:
I've got a different brand of the 1/2" plastic ones that I use at work. They are pretty tough. I also have the cable ties with holes in them like the ones posted here. If you shoot me a PM with your address and how many you need I will send you both types for free.

Thanks for the offer, Palmer.

I bought both types. The aluminum strap, and HD's varient of the tie strap. We'll see how it goes.

I've been using the plastic ones in my marine business for years with no issues. When you hang them, do it with the fastener at the top so the weight of the wire doesn't pull on the bend in the plastic. If you support the wire every 14", which ABYC says to do, you won' have any problems with them. It's the lack of suitable support allowing the wire to "bounce" that causes them to break, Wire loom makes for a neat job, but still needs to be secured in the same manner are sheathed wire.