Wonder what a fella could do with this stuff?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
atb said:
poolie said:
Found a place in Seattle that had pretty good prices on aluminum. I'm sure if I had looked around a little more I could have found an equal or better deal a little closer to home, but Spring's a coming and I *have* to be on the water by then so I'm getting impatient.

The place is https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=60&step=2&top_cat=60 in case you're looking. I think an 8' stick of 1.5x1.5x.125 structural angle was $13.30 and I saw the same piece in HD yesterday for $48

Poolie
Depending on your area that online metals is a good deal even with shipping. I have a friend in the metals business and I showed him my quote with shipping and he said they couldnt touch that price for the size of my order. It comes later this week so hopefully my packaging will be as good as yours was. I got 10 8 foot 1x1x1/8 square tube 2 8 foot 1x1x1/8 angle in 6061. Wish I had a drill press for drilling my brackets like yours. Good work and keep us posted on your progress.

Glad I could be of some help. This site is a great resource for anything aluminum boat related!

I plan to start a new thread once I get to the point where I drop the frame down into the front of the boat and it actually looks like a boat mod and not just a pile of aluminum angle. I hope it all comes together and looks as good as it does in my head. My biggest disappointment so far was the moment it sank in that the boat is too wide to cut the deck out of one piece of 4x8 plywood (terrible problem I know), and it needs to be 60" front to back so will have to be a two pieces. In retrospect I might put hinges on the smaller front portion and use it for another access panel.

We of course want to see what you're building once you get to that point.

-- Poolie

Just found a place local that sells:

1.25 x 1.25 angle .125 thick for $13.44/8ft stick.
1.5 x 1.5 same stuff is $14.40

Square
1.25 $27.84
1.5 $28.80

It's stocked as 25ft pieces and that price includes it being cut to 8ft lenghts.

I might have to sick Bassboy on them and make sure they are legit.

Let me know where you're talking about... I may go ahead and stock up on this stuff while Aluminum prices are down..

Metal Supermarkets

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/msc-home.aspx

I spoke with the one in Norcross 678-421-0054.

I saw that they have one in Marietta too.

Brine said:
Metal Supermarkets

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/msc-home.aspx

I spoke with the one in Norcross 678-421-0054.

I saw that they have one in Marietta too.

I went down there a few years back to buy steel for a boat trailer we were making, because I needed it quick on a Saturday afternoon, and my local guys closed at 11:30 am, and ended up coming back with an empty truck, and waiting a week. They were a bit higher than Self Recycling and Steel Materials locally, at least on steel.
However, the price you posted does not yet appear on the website. It is still more than twice what you mentioned on their website. I also talked with them about a month ago about a piece of aluminum plate, and they were higher than I would have wished.

I'll price the same materials at Self in Cartersville next time I am over there. I much prefer to support the local guys, especially after all the favors they have done for me if they are the same price.

russ010 said:
Let me know where you're talking about... I may go ahead and stock up on this stuff while Aluminum prices are down..

I wouldn't bother yet. I still think they will drop a little lower. Since I am needing 4 - 5000 dollars of material next year for my 20 footer project, I have been following what a lot of the builders on the alloy aluminum sites are saying regarding price. Right now, stuff may still be high, as it was still bought at a higher price in a better economy, but once these guys start selling off the stuff currently in the warehouse, you should start seeing a bit more of a price drop (may be the reason for the lower pricing than on the website) from the larger guys. Here is one thread on the subject.

https://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1271

One persons set up may not work for the next person.There's no need for a welder when adding decks.Use cherry(pop) rivets,stainless steel self tapping screws,or stainless steel bolts with washer and lock nuts.No need for welding.

Yeah, but I prefer welding to pop rivets or self tapping screws ESPECIALLY when it comes to something that's going to take a beating like a boat deck. IMHO I believe welding (IF done correctly) is a much stronger alternative (if you can manage it). The SS bolts are a good alternative also, but they're not that cheap either as I recall :-k . The real advantage with rivets & ST screws are that IF you had to take it apart sometime in the future, it'd be much easier to do so (unless one had a good cutting torch or a plasma cutter-natch! :twisted: )

BloodStone said:
One persons set up may not work for the next person.There's no need for a welder when adding decks.Use cherry(pop) rivets,stainless steel self tapping screws,or stainless steel bolts with washer and lock nuts.No need for welding.

Yeah, but I prefer welding to pop rivets or self tapping screws ESPECIALLY when it comes to something that's going to take a beating like a boat deck. IMHO I believe welding (IF done correctly) is a much stronger alternative (if you can manage it). The SS bolts are a good alternative also, but they're not that cheap either as I recall :-k . The real advantage with rivets & ST screws are that IF you had to take it apart sometime in the future, it'd be much easier to do so (unless one had a good cutting torch or a plasma cutter-natch! :twisted: )

I agree, welding does have its advantages in both hull construction as well as deck construction, but as a welder myself, I will say that it isn't as advantageous, especially in regard to decks, as you are making it sound to be. Depending on what sort of test you are doing (tensional, shear, torsional etc), a properly done rivet job will win certain times. Also, many of the materials that are more than adequate for boat decks of these dimensions are not practically welded. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying a riveted deck is stronger than welded, as welding does have advantages over rivets in many cases, but especially in regards to decks of these dimensions, weldings advantages aren't even close to the extent that you implied.

I do agree, a welded hull will usually be stronger than a riveted hull (we aren't talking decks anymore), but that is due to the thickness of the material used in welded versus riveted hulls, not the fact that rivets are used. Thicker metal can be welded in ways that it cannot be riveted, due to the shaping limitations, and thinner hulls can be riveted in ways they cannot be welded, due to the warping characteristic of aluminum when long continuous welds are run down it.

Just think about it, if welding was all that much better, why are the aircraft flying today still primarily riveted?

Dangit, I told myself I wouldn't get into anymore of these metal topics, lol.

Just think about it, if welding was all that much better, why are the aircraft flying today still primarily riveted?

imho one problem would be the warpage to control if welding an aircraft (yes, there are modern methods/processes to control that stuff), and welding is a whole lot more costlier, plus, it's easier to remove a damaged modular section that is riveted than to cutout a welded section.

Then again, ships used to be riveted, but are now welded, lol, and this is all I will say about the subject. 8)

Waterwings said:
Dangit, I told myself I wouldn't get into anymore of these metal topics, lol.

imho one problem would be the warpage to control if welding an aircraft (yes, there are modern methods/processes to control that stuff), and welding is a whole lot more costlier, plus, it's easier to remove a damaged modular section that is riveted than to cutout a welded section.

Then again, ships used to be riveted, but are now welded, lol, and this is all I will say about the subject. 8)
I knew I would catch some flack for that line. 'Course, I stole it out of Lund's brochure, and y'all know how well I respect them (not being sarcastic either).

bassboy1 said:
I wouldn't bother yet. I still think they will drop a little lower. Since I am needing 4 - 5000 dollars of material next year for my 20 footer project, I have been following what a lot of the builders on the alloy aluminum sites are saying regarding price. Right now, stuff may still be high, as it was still bought at a higher price in a better economy, but once these guys start selling off the stuff currently in the warehouse, you should start seeing a bit more of a price drop (may be the reason for the lower pricing than on the website) from the larger guys. Here is one thread on the subject.

https://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1271

I've been pricing some local places today for rectangular 6061 stock and they are right at half what these online sites mentioned in this thread are quoting me. They are still outrageous.

I'm looking at $45+ in raw material just to build an extremely simple rod holder setup.

Latest posts