16' Alumacraft Model K build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, finally some more updates. The boat has been completely painted and the retro Alumacraft decals installed. The transom has been sealed and bolted back on. Now the floor,front deck and electrical can be done....there is an end in site......hopefully I can get this on the water soon.

Attachments

• 0707110604a.jpg
    0707110604a.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 2,787
  • 0707110604.jpg
    0707110604.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 2,787
I never thought about asking Alumacraft....good call. I got mine on eBay. there is another place online that has the actual decals for the 50's era boats. I just liked the oval, and the colors matched my paint scheme....these ones are for a 60's era boat.

OK, so a complete bathroom remodel last summer stopped the project dead in its tracks. Got started again today. I put the floor together the other day and sealed it. I decided to go with an epoxy paint on top instead of carpeting. Here's the floor....hoping to pick up steam this week.

2012-03-20192733.jpg

2012-03-20192750.jpg

I've thought about using that epoxy paint for a floor as well but was concerned how slippery it would be when wet, have you tried it out yet? I have a similar product on my garage floor and it gets pretty slippery when wet.

I got some of that non-skid stuff to mix in the epoxy. Hopefully it works. if not I'll have to figure out something else. We've got a similar texture to the floor in the bay at my station, its not that slick.

JFDBasser said:
I got some of that non-skid stuff to mix in the epoxy. Hopefully it works. if not I'll have to figure out something else. We've got a similar texture to the floor in the bay at my station, its not that slick.

I added the non skid stuff to my garage floor coating project. Worked great! Remember garage coating kits in the box are not UV resistant and will fade.

Very nice job! Looks great! Nice pics on that drain plug, the previous owner of my model F removed that hardware and patched over it so I have been trying to find out what it was supposed to look like.

Got some more done today. I ran the conduit under the floor to run my wiring for the TM and electronics. The main runs from bow to stern are in, but not connected yet. I put the floor in, it just sits there for now, not sure how I like it, so it's not permanent yet. Mounted a few misc. items like the lights and bilge pump, need to figure out where to put my bus and switch. Started framing the front deck and figured out how to mount the TM. Still lots to do, but there is an end in sight.

2012-03-25192025.jpg

2012-03-25192050.jpg

2012-03-25192035.jpg

More progress. I got the front deck cut out. I think I'm going to carpet it. I put a hatch in forward part of the front deck, should work out ok. I also picked up a motor for her yesterday. I found a nice '58 Evinrude Sportwin 10HP for a great deal. the motor is in great shape, fires on the first pull and runs smooth. It fits the '54 boat well.

2012-04-02190038.jpg

2012-04-04135247.jpg

2012-04-04135019.jpg

Well, I've spent almost every free minute this past week trying to get the boat done. I have about an hours worth of little things left to do. All the decking is done, electric, etc. etc. etc. There are things that didnt turn out how I wanted, or werent practical. I figure I'll fish it for the season and make changes from there. Here she is with a few comments on the photo's.

Splashwell.jpg

Splashwell area ended up being MUCH smaller than I intended. The battery box, switch and Fuel tank just barely fit in there. I didnt realize how much room I would loose with the way the splashwell is designed. It's not the ideal place for the switch box, and I already want to move it to the bow, but it's going to stay for now.

Swith.jpg

I used a 6x6 electrical box with a seal for my switch. Everything fit nice, I put two holes in the bottom for the wiring, I've also got my bus bar in there. I'm hoping this works out, so far everything functions.

Floorspace.jpg

My favorite part. a full 8' by 4' of floorspace. I have three little kids that will be fishing with me, my goal was a wide open floor with no trip hazards......

Frontdeck.jpg

Here's my front deck. Not sure where or if I want to mount the cup holder....it came in handy on my last boat, just don't know where to put it, any suggestions? The electrical box cover on the front is access to my breaker for the TM. The graph is OLD, but it still works, the TM is a MinnKota powerdrive55, should move the boat good.

Breaker.jpg

Breaker, I think the switch box will get moved up here next season also

Hatch.jpg

Here's my only storage bin. I will pretty much only be using this at my sportsmans club for bluegill so I bring next to no tackle with me. The sole purpose of this box was to store my TM pedal under lock and key. I added the lock to the hatch.

Almostdone.jpg

Here's where she stands right now. Only left is to replace my trailer lights, install the guide-ons, and give it a clean up before it hits the water. I'm thinking about making some support braces like Hanr did on his Alumacraft. Be a nice place to mount a rod holder. Any comments/suggestions?

Man! What a transformation! I actually wish my drain plug was like yours. And I love that motor! I wish I could afford to collect old motors like that. There's an evinrude similar to that here..what'd you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking.

wcbond4 said:
Man! What a transformation! I actually wish my drain plug was like yours. And I love that motor! I wish I could afford to collect old motors like that. There's an evinrude similar to that here..what'd you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking.

I paid $400 and it included the pressure tank. You can find some cheaper from time to time, but this one needs no work, which I like. I agree with you, I love those old motors. My boat is rated for a 35hp, the sportsmans club I belong to has a HP limit, hence the 10hp on my build. I'm gonna keeps my eyes out for something bigger that I can restore though, might be a fun project now that the boat is done.

The drain plus is really cool. When I got the boat there were soo many leaves, etc. that I didnt think it had a plug at all. I never thought to look under the boat. The fitting under the hull is pretty heavy duty, should hold up.

Latest posts