16' Alumacraft Model K build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's FINALLY done. I didnt really have much left to do, so I was able to knock the rest out two nights ago, I was on duty yesterday, so here she is.

I added angle alum. supports to the gunnels (idea stolen from Hanr, thanks man). Planning to install a rod holder like Hanr's also.
Support.jpg

Here's the livewell. I put this together a few years ago. I leave my boat at my sportsmans club and always take my battery, so I made a livewell that I can move to my truck and keep running on the way home. I have a small battery operated pump to fill the cooler for now.
livwell.jpg

Here she is from the stern. The storage compartment up front was big enough for the TM pedal, some rope, and a throwable cushion.
Sternview.jpg

Final shot of the boat, she is 100% ready to hit the water. Last step of the build was the standard Tinboats.net ladder stabilizer guide on's. The look like they will work great.
done.jpg

It's been a TON of fun and came out really nice. Thanks for all of the great ideas from my fellow Tinboats members.

Thanks for the comments. I ran the boat this weekend, worked great. The flooring wasnt slick and the boat is surprsingly stable, it leans a bit if you stand at the gunnel on the front deck, but not bad at all. The drain plus leaks a little, probably had a little over a cup of water in the bilge area after 6 hours of fishing, not bad at all, definately something I can live with.

Working on some rod holder brackets for the oar locks right now, I'll post pictures when I get those done.

The floor is a rustoleum epoxy garage floor kit. I added the non-skid grit to it also. It worked out nice, not slick at all. Not sure how it'll hold up, but if I get a few years out of it, it's worth it to me. My boat spends most of the year at my sportsmans club, so cleaning carpet is a pain for me.

Here are some rod holders I made. My boat has two sets of oarlocks so I thought it'd be nice to have rod holders that I could move around to each oarlock.

They are made of 1/16th aluminum, painted them to match and lined with EVA foam to protect the pain.
rodholder1.jpg

Rodholder2.jpg

rodholder3.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

I had some motor problems. Basically, it wouldnt stay in gear. Some rapid (not needed) parts ordering ensued and now I have a forward gear and clutch dog I don't need (yet). Thankfully before I pulled the lower unit I noticed that the bracket that the shift lever mouts to was broken in two. Ordered that part and she was back in business.

I also found a better plug for my antiquated drain plug. I started with what is pictured below and a 3/8" brass MIP plug, it worked, but water seaped up the threads. Found that a 1/2" snap plug for my cooler in my Ranger fit perfectly, no more leaks.

file.php

plug.jpg

Took her out yesterday to clear my head after my grandma passed away following a long fight with cancer. My Grandparents must have been smiling on me. The motor ran great and I'm pretty sure my Grandpa guided these nice gill to me. Ended up with over 20 nice frying sized gill and one monster readear in less than two hours.
2012-04-22185751.jpg

Looking forward to getting my kids on the water and teaching them to fish. My grandma always had a smile on her face when I drug a fish into her house from the pond in her backyard, still have the lure that had to be removed from my grandpa's arm in the ER when I was learning how to cast.

Thanks to everyone here at Tinboats, I would have been lost without this valuble resource.

Congrats on the build and the catch. Sorry to hear about your Grandma, but it's great to hear how she was part of the experience. I still think of all the times I went fishing with my Grandad. Good stuff fo sho.

Thanks Brine, love your build by the way.

Made another change to the boat today. Made a simple anchor pole. Just a section of PVC with straps to attach it to the transom and a 6' section of aluminum flag pole. Looking for a fiberglass pole, but this will do for now. I used it today, it worked out great, simple to use and held the boat well in the soft bottom. Cost me about $1.50 for the straps, had the rest of the stuff in my basement, can't complain about that. The straps are bolted all the way through the transom, it's not going anywhere.

anchor1.jpg

anchor2.jpg

Latest posts