1648 grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grays

Reaction score
So I've had this 1648 grizzly for about 2 years now and I am wanting to put a floor of some sort down with carpet and add some storage kinda like the roughneck boats have up the side. My question is what type of wood to use for the floor and sides I dont want this stuff to decay every year. Treated plywood with treated 2x4? I have seen pictures of people with what looks like white wood in there boats. Any help or ideas will be great thx

NO TREATED wood. It will eat up the aluminum. (oxidize's it) like rust on steel because of the chemicals in the wood. The same thing will happen when you put aluminum and steel together. I work on semi- trailers and when we put aluminum and steel together, you have to put plastic or clear box tape between them to keep this from happening. Marine grade is best or you could use regular with resin coating. Other people will chime in soon enough.

Many here will buy regular old plywood, and put a couple coats of Thompson's water seal on it. The wood is going to rot sooner or later, but sealing the wood and using a boat cover will greatly help increase the wood's lifetime.

ok thx for the comments. I am actually about to head to lowes but before I go, are there any suggestions for adding support under the floor between the rids? I saw one pic where it looked like they added some blue insulation stuff.

grays said:
ok thx for the comments. I am actually about to head to lowes but before I go, are there any suggestions for adding support under the floor between the rids? I saw one pic where it looked like they added some blue insulation stuff.

I used the pink building foam insulation. I think it was about 1" think. I just cut it to fit between the ribs. I did it for floatation not for support though.....but it probably did give it a little support. If it's just sitting on the ribs you probably don't neet any support if you go with 3/4". That's what I did. 3/4 Exterior(not treated) plywood and some water sealer then carpet.

Well im back :) Got some exterior plywood / carpet / glue / 2x8 to put between the ribs and some thompson water seal. Now comes the hard part since I am about as dumb as they come when it comes to carpeting lol.

Well all the wood is cut and drying from the seal. The sealing says to wait 48 hours for it to dry and one coat will do the trick. From your all's experience is 1 coat good? ( took me all day what would take a carpenter 20 minutes lol )

one coat should do it good. I generally try to put down a coat, then go back over it with another while it's still wet. It shouldn't take 48 hours for it to seal, bu depending on your location and the weather, it just might.

I just got through sealing my decks last night, and part of them were dried, but the biggest one what still a little tacky. I said to heck with it and went ahead and carpeted over it...

Well I managed to get the carpet on the 3 pieces of plywood today. That glue is freaking messy! it got on everything from my shoe to the staple gun lol. Now to pick what size wire to run for my trolling motor from the front to the back ( 16.5 feet ) and how to hide it.

Latest posts