16ft Mirrocraft V-hull build!!**Finished!!!**

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking better everyday. I am considering that stuff you put on garage floors for my decks....the stuff you put different color chips in, probably a grey or light blue color. Someone else did that and it kinda looks like an old shrimp boat deck. I like that commercial look, it hides dirt and blood. As far as the outside goes I am considering using a spray epoxy primer followed by a light blue Medeterian metal flake by awlcraft. I still have a bunch of rivet work thru the hull before I even think of painting.

Wow how things change!! I just committed to buy my buddies 2001 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke with electric start, tilt and trim, and remote controls for a song. I know all the history on this motor. My buddy purchased it to replace the blown merc that was on a boat that we bought and fixed up together back in college. This motor is like new, shortly after he bought it I moved away and for the most part it has been sitting ever since. I'd be surprised if it has 100hrs on it. I'm pretty stoked, looks like I'll get to take full advantage of my console!!

So my 91 30hp Evinrude is for sale $950, I'll post an ad in the classifieds. Bigwave, I think this 30 would look good on your boat!! :mrgreen:

Wow a 40 four stroke yamaha, Now I am real jealous.....with electric start too.....Man that thing is gonna fly with a 40. Hmmm 30hp on mine, is it a short shaft?

bigwave said:
Wow a 40 four stroke yamaha, Now I am real jealous.....with electric start too.....Man that thing is gonna fly with a 40. Hmmm 30hp on mine, is it a short shaft?

Yep it's a short shaft, and the Yamaha is a 2 stroke.

Wow 40hp on this tinboat, and I thought I was hp crazy haha...This thing is gonna fly...and be tons of fun! Clean build thus far keep up the good work! =D>

Gators5220 said:
Wow 40hp on this tinboat, and I thought I was hp crazy haha...This thing is gonna fly...and be tons of fun! Clean build thus far keep up the good work! =D>

The boat is actually rated for a 40 so I'm not doing anything crazy, but yes it will be fast!!

The funny thing is that when I first started this build I was looking for 15-20 hp outboards to power this boat. It was from advice I got here that led me to purchase the 30. I had no plans to go bigger but, my buddy must have asked me a dozen times to buy his motor. The last price he offered was to good to pass up!!

Untitled-6.jpg

It's dirty but looks like it will clean up nice and look awesome hanging off the back of my boat!!

Almost forgot!! "Go Cocks"

It is always good to have buddies with boats......aren't you glad you kept the console? That motor is going to be perfect for your boat. =D>

Ha, well not crazy then, is that 40hp a 3 cylinder model? If so I'm so jealous and with those cubic inches it's going to fly no doubt, as opposed to a 40hp or 50hp johnson which is only 2 cylinders...

fool4fish1226 said:
Sweet =D> How much longer before the water test

Well the new motor with remote steering and controls has changed my plans a bit. I'm now going to make the boat a center console. There will be no raised deck in the rear just a flat floor all the way to the transom.

So water test will be a few weeks out.

Gators5220 said:
Ha, well not crazy then, is that 40hp a 3 cylinder model? If so I'm so jealous and with those cubic inches it's going to fly no doubt, as opposed to a 40hp or 50hp johnson which is only 2 cylinders...

You know I'm not entirely sure! I'll have to look it up.

A lot of the 40 to 50 hp yahama's especially anything older are 3 cylinders, in which case although it may say 40 hp you have to think how much more hole shot you'll get with those extra cubic inches! and I'm quite jealous sir!

Gators5220 said:
A lot of the 40 to 50 hp yahama's especially anything older are 3 cylinders, in which case although it may say 40 hp you have to think how much more hole shot you'll get with those extra cubic inches! and I'm quite jealous sir!

I know I've skied, and pulled skiers behind this motor, and that was when it was bolted to the heavy 16' fiberglass boat.

Sold the Evinrude this morning to a guy who saw the craigslist ad. I got my full asking price which was a bit higher than I listed it for on here!! I even ended up making a bit of $ on it, maybe I've stumbled into a little side business 8)

I should be able to pick up the Yamaha next weekend. It feels weird having owned the Evinrude for over a year and never actually using it :( but the Yamaha will most definitely make me :-D.

Right on, I guess I will start working on mine again this week. I cant wait to see that yamy on yours....makes me jealous. :twisted:

bigwave said:
Right on, I guess I will start working on mine again this week. I cant wait to see that yamy on yours....makes me jealous. :twisted:
Man I'm jealous of both you guys.
I need to put together some cash for one. Just real nervous about getting a used one.but that's what its gonna have to be.

Awesome boat by the way.

Hey Moberg, What kind of paint are you going to use on the hull.....I am getting real close to start painting mine. I think I am going to play around with my sprayers this weekend. I am leaning towards using high build faring compound 545 primer, followed by awlcraft paint. I know you have experience in spraying paint. My question is, Will a sears 4gal compressor have enough constant flow using the regulator to spray the paint uniform? I have two different guns, one is hvlp devlis bliss, and the other is a gravity gun from harbor freight. Which one would be better for the application? I am pretty good at spraying lacquer, but I have never sprayed paint on metal. I am sure the technique is similar. I appreciate the advise.

Attachments

• paint gun.JPG
    paint gun.JPG
    1,018 KB · Views: 1,084
  • spray gun2.jpg
    spray gun2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,084
bigwave said:
Hey Moberg, What kind of paint are you going to use on the hull.....I am getting real close to start painting mine. I think I am going to play around with my sprayers this weekend. I am leaning towards using high build faring compound 545 primer, followed by awlcraft paint. I know you have experience in spraying paint. My question is, Will a sears 4gal compressor have enough constant flow using the regulator to spray the paint uniform? I have two different guns, one is hvlp devlis bliss, and the other is a gravity gun from harbor freight. Which one would be better for the application? I am pretty good at spraying lacquer, but I have never sprayed paint on metal. I am sure the technique is similar. I appreciate the advise.

I'm certainly no expert. I've sprayed a couple race cars with a cheap HVLP gun from northern tool with decent results. The rule with race cars though is they only have to look good from 50ft @ 50mph. So I can't help recommend a gun, if it was me I'd play around with both of them and pick the one that you prefer. When it comes to spraying paint the same rules apply whether you're using a can or a gun. Prep is the most important, then put down a light tack coat first, that will insure the next thicker coat won't run. Keep the gun the same distance and angle from what your painting throughout the entire stroke, and never point the gun at what your painting when you pull the trigger, start the flow of paint and then move it onto the surface. Follow the re-coat directions on the can of paint and you should be fine.

IMO I don't think the 4 gallon compressor will be sufficient, I think you will at least need a 20 gallon. I could be wrong though I've never tried it with anything less than a 50 gallon.

As far as my paint I'm using ace rust stopper enamel on the outside above the steelflex. I used enamel hardener and rolled on the first coat. I was very happy with the results. I'm waiting till all building is complete to put the last couple coats on, I might spray those as it'll be much faster. I used rustoleum hammered white on the inside of the boat, and regular old rustoleum smoke gray on the gunnels both from the can. I used dupicolor self-etching primer throughout. I chose those paints because I know the boat will get scratched and dinged and I wanted to easily be able to make touch ups. The race cars taught me that things are only freshly painted until you use it the first time. Last time I freshly painted a car some @sshat tried to go 3 wide into a corner on the second lap of the cars first race post paint. I ended up with a new stripe of paint on both sides of the car and they were different colors.

Hey Moberg, I just read my previous post....I am such a bonehead, I meant to say 4hp 25 gal compressor. I hooked up both guns and they both work great.....The 25 gal works just fine....with cheap ole latex. I think with the right reducer and a good primer coat either will spray just fine.

Latest posts