16ft Mirrocraft V-hull build!!**Finished!!!**

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inlovewithsurfin said:
Haha... Oops! That's still pretty sick though! Gotta be a lot of fun!

It is a lot of fun!! Unfortunately both cars have been doing a lot of sitting lately!! I haven't been to the track since November :(

You are way ahead of me on the boat build but maybe one day after I finish mine we could find a lake and put two mirrocrafts on it!

I'm seriously considering borrowing an aluminum mig and welding my entire seams before I go further, what do you think buddy?

Buddychrist said:
You are way ahead of me on the boat build but maybe one day after I finish mine we could find a lake and put two mirrocrafts on it!

I'm seriously considering borrowing an aluminum mig and welding my entire seams before I go further, what do you think buddy?

It is probably unnecessary, I'd fill the boat up with water first and check to see if you have any leaks. After 38 years mine only had one small leak from the keel near the bow.

moberg12 said:
Buddychrist said:

It is probably unnecessary, I'd fill the boat up with water first and check to see if you have any leaks. After 38 years mine only had one small leak from the keel near the bow.

I talked to my dad and he agreed, I'm gonna splatter paint the inside and give it a new OD green exterior. I've got an aircraft rivet gun available from a buddy so if I ever have a rivet pop loose I've got something for it for sure. Commercial tools are the best!

Mo, beautiful job on the mod. I have a 76 14' mirrocraft that I want to make mods to and will start this winter when the snow flies. When you stripped your boat did it flex at all, I noticed you have a tie down strap across the boat on page one, was this to keep it from flexing or just keeping it on the trailer. You haven't posted in awhile, have you gotten it wet?????????????????????

AB14 said:
Mo, beautiful job on the mod. I have a 76 14' mirrocraft that I want to make mods to and will start this winter when the snow flies. When you stripped your boat did it flex at all, I noticed you have a tie down strap across the boat on page one, was this to keep it from flexing or just keeping it on the trailer. You haven't posted in awhile, have you gotten it wet?????????????????????

When I gutted the boat the sides did flex out a bit. The straps in the picture were just for trailering the boat, but when I was doing my framing I did use straps to bring the boat back to the correct width. Once I got most of the framing done I took them off and the gunnels did flex back out a bit. I'm planning to reuse the gunwale bracing so I'll use the straps again when it comes time.

I haven't taken it out yet but I am getting really close!! My new steering cable came in last week but was missing the helm converter so I'm waiting on teleflex to send the replacement. I was told it would ship out today so hopefully I'll get it this week. I also got a lot of work done this weekend, I need to take some pics and update this thread! If all goes as planned I might try to take the boat out for the first time on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Headed outside to put in a couple hours right now!

Well time for an update.

Untitled-16.jpg

battery one mounted with perko switch

Untitled-15.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Front deck with one coat of epoxy

Untitled-13.jpg

rear deck

Untitled-12.jpg

Almost looks like a usable boat!!

Untitled-11.jpg

port side

Untitled-10.jpg

starboard side

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

all vertical cuts complete

Untitled-17.jpg

this little guy is lucky!!

Last things left to cut are the hatches. The forward hatch in the front deck is for battery #2, the wires have been run to it but I haven't purchased the battery yet. The middle hatch in the front houses battery one and the perko switch. The outer hatches are just for storage, they're sized for tempress hatches but for now I'm just going to use plywood.

There will be a large hinged hatch in the middle of the back to access the fuel tank, and two hatches one on either side. Both of those are also sized for tempress hatches, but will just be plywood for now.

You can see in the pics that in front of the console is framed in to house my cooler/bait tank. That was a last minute change that I'm really glad I made. Originally I was just going to put a hatch there for storage.

I've got a lot of work left but I can finally see the finish line!!

I spent the weekend working on the boat and I'm almost done :shock: It has been a long time coming but I'm definitely taking the boat to the lake this weekend.

Untitled-20.jpg

view from the bow

Untitled-22.jpg

front deck, hatches still left to install

Untitled-19.jpg

looks comfy

Untitled-18.jpg

like a glove

Untitled-21.jpg

the helm

Untitled-23.jpg

Untitled-24.jpg

FF, 12v power and switch panel all hooked up

Untitled-27.jpg

I really like the way this turned out

Untitled-25.jpg

Stern deck

Untitled-26.jpg

stern light

Things still left to do:
-final paint on the gunwale, inside and outside of boat
-install cleats
-secure gunwale braces
-install rod holders
-install cup holders
-apply the numbers
-install hatches (hinges haven't shown up yet)
-hook up controls and steering
-little bit of cauking
-get those darn stickers off my seats :evil:

Probably only a couple hours left, I still can't believe it!!

The decks look awesome Moberg. I like what you did with the cooler. Great job.....can't wait to see a pic of her in the water.......how much did that paint run you for the decks?

bigwave said:
The decks look awesome Moberg. I like what you did with the cooler. Great job.....can't wait to see a pic of her in the water.......how much did that paint run you for the decks?

Big and Fla lets bring your boats back to the top with some updates :beer:

Latest posts