1957 Johnson 18 horse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Buck

Reaction score
I just bought an 18 horse Johnson made in 1957. It came with the original gas tank, which is nice, however it sits higher than the seat itself. I am going to be putting a back deck and would like to use a gas tank that set lower than the back bench seat. Now to my question. The gas line that runs from the motor to the gas tank have three prongs. One for Air, one for the gas, and the other appers to just be a locking mechinism. This gas tank also runs off of air pressure, buy using a pump on the gas tank. Can I convert this to another gas tank with a primer pump and how do i do that, gas conectors that I see only have two prongs that plug into the motor. Sorry this is probaly a silly question, but i am new to this. Any help will appreciated.

Also how do you get pictures up, I want to show you guys pictures of my new boat, but can't get it figured out.

Thanks

Marc

Wow guys, thanks for the help. Do you also know the site to order the fuel pump and carb kit? I may just take it to our local motor man here in town. I would probaly screw something up. I did not know that it would consit of all of that, however, I could probaly do it, but never been much of a mechcanic, lol. I will keep you guys updated.

Also thanks for the help on the uploading of pictures. I will try to get those up tom.

I had a 1958 Johnson 18 hp and I converted it to a single line by taking the bypass cover and fuel pump off of a 1966 Johnson 20 hp powerhead that I had. It was an identical bypass cover except that it was tapped to run the fuel pump. I just switched them out an ran new fuel lines and it ran like a champ. Hope this helps.

I did the same conversion on a 57' 5.5 hp evinrude.. it is fairly straight forward and simple..did a complete restore of the motor..

P1010016.jpg

Latest posts