1957 Lowell Lightweight Full Restore/Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no idea...I even found them listed on Amazon. Thanks.
How do I measure the cables? Total end to end length with the pictured ends or just the cable without the ends? They are listed in 1ft lengths starting at 9 and just my cables are a little over 10ft. Do I buy 10 foot or 11 foot?

Here is what I have for the ends
Photo Jan 26, 9 26 27 AM.jpg

I then have the same cable housing ends as in the picture-the brass and black adjustable plastic.

For Replacement of Existing Cable:

If you removed the old cable, measure for replacement cable as follows:

Measure cable from tip to tip (without ends) and round up to next whole foot, if necessary (aftermarket cables are sold in foot increments).

Thanks...I have the housings but the cable (the solid wire that moves) was cut off before I had the boat.

Looks like there was a change in ends in 1979. Most ends I have found so far a permanently attached unlike the older ones that are held by a set screw.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/teleflex-cc170-control-cable-assembly-400-series/

Thanks! Found that pre-1979 are the 400 series. Placed my order

Now I have to get 50 years of grease and paint off the controller.

Photo Jan 07, 4 57 24 PM.jpg

Controls can be as much work as restoring a motor... I just got mine done:

IMG_0870.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,102
OK now you need to post or link to more pictures of your boat. On my list is building a flat wood floor (no carpet)...

Project update: I have received the 2 11 foot remote control cables, cleaned up the remote control insides and removed layers of paint. Almost all of the inside of the boat has been sealed.
Also received the rivet gun and airframe universal rivets to start replacing/repair those.

Next I plan on building a better mount for the remote control since the was just held in place with long bolts that held it off the side to clear the top rail. Not a good way to do it.
Another issue is over the years the remote control has been mounted it 4 places leaving 4 set of three holes that I now need to fill. They are too big for rivets so not sure what to do there.
I am also going to have to wire it for navigation lights since we will be using it after dark a lot. Found some very low draw, retro looking LEDs. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRBLRWO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice hull, love the style. Now that you have a pneumatic buck riveter you can probably find a buck rivet large enough to fill the holes. Take a look a jay-cee sales. www.rivetsinstock.com. Some thing I learned restoring old airstream trailers. With aluminum hulls you can cover some serious blems with a patch and some creativity, looks like its suppose to be there! Your plank floor idea makes some serious sence & looks good. I'm restoring a similar hull and was going to just go carpet. Like your idea much better. Looks good,durable, faster dry, less rot concern & lift out panels. Have a local mill that saws out cedar any way we like. THANKS.

Lots of progress. Pics because people like pics:
Transom wood all replaced; both interior and exterior. Painted knee brace to match remote control-no pic of that yet :|
Photo Feb 27, 9 36 15 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 27, 9 36 11 AM.jpg
Replaced windshield header; it had be cut off at some point :?
Photo Feb 19, 1 35 22 PM.jpg
Repaired and reinstalled handle at bow, ordered a replacement stern handle to be copied from the existing one from a local foundry.
Got some electrical done but still waiting for more parts. All LED so battery life will be good.
Removed paint from all the brass fittings that had been painted over.
Photo Feb 27, 9 36 46 AM.jpg
Cleaned up bow and transom exterior aluminum following instructions from people who restore Airstreams so now nice and shiny , replaced more rivets.
Photo Feb 13, 4 34 15 PM.jpg
Have in hand all the teak
Photo Feb 25, 8 26 24 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 25, 7 37 52 AM.jpg

No pics yet of deck made of marine plywood going in. You can see it in last pic before I started cutting it to shape (from hell that was). Just got it sealed when it started snowing so dry time went from 24 hours to ~4days. Will not be able to get that in boat for a few days now. Going to make look like a 57 pick-up truck bed with WOW strips. Have to make those still as well get floatation foam under it.

Next is the restoration of the original Attwood steering wheel, finding some cleats that will fit, getting bench seat made, running cable for steering. AND then the hardest part...a motor.

Sadly I must sell this boat, I have too many boats. Here is the Spokane, WA Craigslist listing:

https://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/d/spokane-1957-lowell-lightweight/7293361782.html

As you can see I did get the restore/rebuild completed (even though I did not keep this post updated). I have used it for the last 3 summers without issue, it was registered in Idaho until 2020. If interested please reply here, PM me, or via CL email relay. Thanks, Eric

orttauq said:
Sadly I must sell this boat, I have too many boats. Here is the Spokane, WA Craigslist listing:

https://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/d/spokane-1957-lowell-lightweight/7293361782.html

As you can see I did get the restore/rebuild completed (even though I did not keep this post updated). I have used it for the last 3 summers without issue, it was registered in Idaho until 2020. If interested please reply here, PM me, or via CL email relay. Thanks, Eric

SOLD