1965 Arkansas semi v project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shmelty said:
TOY BOAT said:
Since we purchased it, I have replaced the wood on the benches, added seats, a humminbird 565 fish finder, ]

ff=fish finder :D
LOL. I should have got that. I have a fish finder to tell my speed, water temp, battery voltage, and let me know what is under me.

Hey Bill,

What kind of wood did you use to replace the benches? Also, what did you use to seal & waterproof the wood? Thanks

TOY BOAT said:
Hello to all.
My name is Bill. This is our first boat. We have been enjoying it almost every weekend since we bought it two months ago. It is a 1965 Arkansas v-hull that came with a 1989 Evinrude 15hp tiller. Since we purchased it, I have replaced the wood on the benches, added seats, a humminbird 565 fish finder, new fuel line, 25 lb trolling motor, tuned up the engine, replaced the lower end oil, and put a fresh coat of evinrude navy blue on the engine. I also replaced the lights and rewired the trailer, and installed new bunks.
future plans include power tilt and trim, paint, electric start, lighting, decking, and carpet. Maybe even a console with wheel and controls.
I am thinking of a build similar to this one. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15880

Here are some pictures of it the day I picked it up.
SSPX0208.jpg

SSPX0209.jpg

And some of it now
SSPX0306-1.jpg

SSPX0307.jpg

SSPX0315.jpg

mmarz4evr said:
Hey Bill,

What kind of wood did you use to replace the benches? Also, what did you use to seal & waterproof the wood? Thanks

I used some 3/4" maple plywood my brother inlaw had lying around. I coated it with regular polyurethane. I need to coat it again before I carpet the boards, as the edges were starting to separate after a few times out. My first boat has come with a few mistakes including a fire. :roll:

I have a boat i just picked up yesterday that is just like this one can you tell me what the weight capacity, hp rating and how many persons it suppose to hold this is a 14 foot right?

cartech5 said:
I have a boat i just picked up yesterday that is just like this one can you tell me what the weight capacity, hp rating and how many persons it suppose to hold this is a 14 foot right?
There is no tag of any kind on the boat. But I would imagine a maximum of 3 people, and according to this thread below, It would be 30hp max. I think a 25 would move it good, as the 15 I have now pushes it to 23mph with two people and gear. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12144

Finally got to move the boat over to finish the paint.
This was the first time these two met. :lol:
SSPX0037.jpg

Got her painted tonight. I started with a two tone white over silver, but I found myself grabbing the metalic out of the bottom of the silver can, and mixing it with the white. Now the boat is metalic white. Or pearl white if you choose.

Pics to follow.

Jdholmes said:
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
You got me.
I had a very bad day. I started taping off for the second color, using painters blue tape. I peeled the tape to reposition it, and the tape took the paint off. Used Rustolium oil based paint through a gun, diluting 5% with mineral spirits like I always do. I can only assume the paint has not dried completely or did not bond to the rustolium water based primer that is for aluminum. I am not sure yet if I will have to re strip the entire boat down and start from scratch.
SSPX0048-1.jpg

That really does suck.

How many hours had passed before you put the tape on it? If it was more than 24-48 hrs I would assume there was a bonding issue.

On the up side it does look like a nice shine to the paint!

---
I am here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.086505,-115.063742

I think come spring I will strip it down, and leave it natural aluminum. I just have to find a good clear since I won't use a primer.

Latest posts