35HP Evinrude on 14ft jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nathanielrthomas said:
Well I worked out the formula and bought my new engine. My 1448 should scoot across the water pretty good now. Any of you guys have any idea how to install this thing? I cant find the clamp bolts anywhere...

Dude, I just about spit Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
nathanielrthomas said:
Well I worked out the formula and bought my new engine. My 1448 should scoot across the water pretty good now. Any of you guys have any idea how to install this thing? I cant find the clamp bolts anywhere...
I think your going to need a jack plate.

I think your gona need some Jack Daniels!

Rat....I'm with ya bro.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
nathanielrthomas said:
I think your going to need a jack plate.

And maybe a hydrofoil...

my 14 ft richline is rated for 25hp. that would be nice since the 9.9 doesnt do much.

I was looking at buying a bigger boat for my motor but sold bout an hour before I got to look at it :( so i decided to go to work adding some renforcement steal to the back end and building it up so it actually sits about where my short shaft motor did. What you guys think?

Attachments

• Boat Motor Pic 1.JPG
    Boat Motor Pic 1.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 964
  • Boat motor pic 2.JPG
    Boat motor pic 2.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 964
  • Boat Motor Pic 3.JPG
    Boat Motor Pic 3.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 964
  • Boat pic 4.JPG
    Boat pic 4.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 964
Just be careful. I dont know if I would open it up to full throttle. I have a 25hp 2stroke on my 1448 and its a little too fast when I open it up all the way. Kinda scary. Have you ran it since you put the motor on?

Nope hoping to get the chance to put it in the water this weekend..thinking that I am going to set a safety chain on the motor the first couple times out:) just in case.. I''ll let ya know how it turns out...if i make it back [-o<

nathanielrthomas said:
Just be careful. I dont know if I would open it up to full throttle. I have a 25hp 2stroke on my 1448 and its a little too fast when I open it up all the way. Kinda scary. Have you ran it since you put the motor on?

Oh come on... I have a 40HP on my 1648 and its no where near scary enough :twisted:

OP, I think you'll be okay if you add the proper support. I wouldn't think twice about opening it up, I just wouldn't turn tightly at WOP. You should also be sure that the wave following the boat when you cut out the motor at full speed won't swamp you out.. I've always wondered if it could happen and you're likely to be testing it soon :wink:

I hate to be the one to bring this up but if the motor hp is more than the boat is rated for then...
#1 It would be impossible to get insurance on it
#2 If an accedent were to happen any insurance already on the boat would not pay any claims based on operating an "overpowered" boat
#3 In Wisconsin it would is considered Illeagl to opereate an overpowered boat and you would be subject to a fine (ticket) if a DNR inspection were to occur on the water (checking for fishing license, number of life jackets, any illeagl fish, etc. etc...

dyeguy1212 said:
nathanielrthomas said:

Oh come on... I have a 40HP on my 1648 and its no where near scary enough :twisted:

OP, I think you'll be okay if you add the proper support. I wouldn't think twice about opening it up, I just wouldn't turn tightly at WOP. You should also be sure that the wave following the boat when you cut out the motor at full speed won't swamp you out.. I've always wondered if it could happen and you're likely to be testing it soon :wink:

Dyeguy,
You have a console in your boat, and if you hit a wave funny you can just correct it while holding on tho the steering wheel. I can push my boat a little over 30mph with a tiller, and one rough wave can bounce me to the point where i have no choice but to let go of the tiller or lose control should choose to hold on to it, especially in a flatbottom that doesnt cut the water. Simply put, a tiller is not as easy to control when you get in a mess, and you have a modified v boat too, which helps a lot in rough water. Thats why the same boat is rated at a higher HP limit when you have a console versus a tiller. Trust me, 30mph+ in a 14' flatbottom is fast enough, and he could be pushing over 40mph in his boat. Its not safe. Im not gonna tell him to give it hell only to have him crash and injure himself. Sorry if Im being a pansy, but what do you think the insurance company is gonna say when he crashes into another boater and find out hes is running an illegal set up? No coverage, law suits, hospital bills that wont get paid, etc.

DeerNinja, just do us all a favor and be very careful if your gonna run your boat with that motor. Nobody on this site wants to hear about an accident.

Im just lookin out for everyone, because I sure dont wanna be on the lake when Deerninja comes barrelling down the water at **** near 50mph in a 14'whatever" flatbottom. It might not scare you, but its gonna scare me. Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I dont take this lightly. I got a buddy that lost his leg last year in an accident in boat that had too much power for him. The number one rule on this forum should be SAFETY FIRST, because a lot of us modify our boats beyond what they are capable of or rated for.

nathanielrthomas said:
Oh come on... I have a 40HP on my 1648 and its no where near scary enough

But then again dyeguy, i know you michigan boys are a different breed. I have a good friend from Cadillac, MI and some of the things he does with his snowmobiles is absolutely insane and crazy fast. Im not much a speed demon if you cant tell. No hard feelings man.

-Nate

nathanielrthomas said:
Thats why the same boat is rated at a higher HP limit when you have a console versus a tiller.

I've never seen that.. have an example?

I wasn't looking at it from a baja-ing stand point, I was just looking at it from a speed/control stand point. Do I think its a good idea? No. I'm just saying it can be done.

And for the record, I never said anything about insurance, law suits, or anything like that. I'm just looking at it from a "can it be done?" type of standpoint.

dyeguy1212 said:

This: https://www.tritonboats.com/boat_detail_new.asp?bid=58

vs

This: https://www.tritonboats.com/boat_detail_new.asp?bid=54

Same boat except one of them is side console and one of them is tiller. The hp discrepancy is pretty standard.

dyeguy1212 said:
nathanielrthomas said:
Thats why the same boat is rated at a higher HP limit when you have a console versus a tiller.

Not to choose side but he correct. If you look at the same boat without a side console the HP rating will be less than one with a side console. For instance an Alumacraft 1650 AW SC (side console) is rated for up to 60hp but the 1650 AW TS (tiller stear) is rated fror only 40hp.

Back on point I agree that it is a little neglegant to grossly over power a small john boat. But in the end people usually do what they want versus what they should.

Nevillizer said:
dyeguy1212 said:
nathanielrthomas said:

Not to choose side but he correct. If you look at the same boat without a side console the HP rating will be less than one with a side console. For instance an Alumacraft 1650 AW SC (side console) is rated for up to 60hp but the 1650 AW TS (tiller stear) is rated fror only 40hp.

Back on point I agree that it is a little neglegant to grossly over power a small john boat. But in the end people usually do what they want versus what they should.

No need to justify it. Honest question, I've just never noticed it before. No need to justify saying someone is wrong. Whats with all the "feelings" on this site lately? :roll: :mrgreen:

Don't know. I was reading a post by boater123 and caveman and him have been going at it on couple of differant threads about boaters boat finagleing back and forth with igea etc. Just figured I would be careful. (You know, talk softly and carey a big stick)

Nevillizer said:
Don't know. I was reading a post by boater123 and caveman and him have been going at it on couple of differant threads about boaters boat finagleing back and forth with igea etc. Just figured I would be careful. (You know, talk softly and carey a big stick)

Gotcha...

Well my internet ego is bigger than your internet ego. I'll fight you any time, any where, for any reason. :BS: