Badbaggers SeaArk 1872 Modification & Restoration Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well out of boredom, I put together my stick anchor pin. I ordered the parts online and figure I saved about $45 vs buying a premade. Just need to let the 5200 cure and get some floating line from Academy Sports $4.99 for 15' and I'm good to go.

Attachments

• anchorpin.jpg
    anchorpin.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 625
Badbagger said:
Lol, I ran out of room in the garage and I've got a second pile going in the family room :LOL2:
Back when I lived down that way, I was a regular at the flea market. Some decent stuff now and then
and cool to poke around.

Yeh and the scenery is not bad ether if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Well FINALLY opened up the HDS 12 Touch since it's a birthday present and today's the day. The **** thing is HUGE and really easy to navigate screen to screen with. Bought the 83/200 transducer along with the LSS-2 transducer for side scan.
This and my Garmin GPSMAP 720 will give me two onboard GPS systems and if you want to count my phone, 3 total. I've got a lot to play with while I wait on my Ark.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

BB

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 599
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 599
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 599
Country Dave said:
Bro that’s bad ***,
Congratulations =D>
x2, BB that chart looks real nice.....when you buy any of the new lowrance, do they come with that chart? The detail from the pic looks killer. You might just be changing my mind with lowrance.

Thanks and yes, Insight Mapping is included. This thing is killer. Made by Navico, the same company who build the Simrads.
These are basically exactly the same as their Simrad counterparts. The ONLY difference is the Simrads use a beefier internal frame structure to "make it heaver and seem beefier". The components are identical. This is from the mouths of in house techs at Navico.

Thanks Dave, really impressed with this unit and I've played with it for about 30 minutes in the demo mode. It does everything except make scrambled eggs :LOL2:

Lol hey, I haven't read the manual yet and it will surely tell you where you can find them. Hell it tells you where the nearest fuel point is and where there's fuel.... there be eggs :LOL2:

Since you have the time invested in this unit, what is the best unit for my big boat......I know the garmin technology say up to a couple of years ago. I will be getting the dust off of my 21 center console in a couple of weeks. I need to find a new gps/chartplotter for it, but dont really want to pony up that much for the 12" screen. I would say a 6" screen would be fine.

P.S. Hey BB you got a pic of you in a white shirt and camo pants......it would be real funny to see a triple threat snook avitars.........come on man we could be 'The Three Snooketeers............... :mrgreen:

I'd go with the HDS Gen2 7 Touch - My source has them for $1609 shipped with the Side Scan Transducer and the 83/200 Sonar Transducer. If you don't need the SS Transducer, $1400 and that's a shipped price. A really sweet setup. Exactly the same as mine but in a 7" unit. Lol, I don't have the photo like that but **** it man, give me a little time and it's going to happen! I also have a Garmin GPSMPA 720 which I'll be using for strictly GPS, nice unit indeed but I wanted Side Scan capability and Garmin does not offer it and HB in Saltwater is prolly not such a good thing from my research and the Lowrance has a better image.

After going back and forth with tabman on tht forums aka Tom from Bennett Corporation, I decided to go ahead and give these tabs a shot. I know that the SeaArks tend to porpoise at higher speeds and the 4 blade prop and tabs should resolve that, I want to keep the bow down as much as possible and the tabs will do that. They'll improve the hole shot but the Etec will make that happen all on it's own, they'll help get the boat on plane faster and she'll plane at slower speeds and lastly, with over 300 lbs of batteries in or fairly close to the stern, keeping the stern as high as possible is important and these will help with that. At $140, hard to pass on and I've spent more than that for a meal. I couldn't find any reviews on these, they're too new. However, I did read a LOT of reviews on the Smart Tabs and they do work well for the most part. The biggest complaints were related to poor construction. The Bennett tabs are a big step above the Smart Tabs in construction. Ordered the SLT10 tabs.

https://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=274

Attachments

• SLT10.jpg
    SLT10.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 773
Bro I know it’s not a money thing but why don’t you water test her first when you’re done and if you have an issues with porpoising add the tabs. That’s the only way you’re going to know if it made any measureable deference.
I don’t think you’re going to have an issue, and most of the time porpoising is a result of the boat not being trimmed right. Just a thought bro, you can always add them later.

I'm going to run her first without them and see what happens. But based on a lot of research and talking to Ken at Prop Gods, he gets a whole lot of folks with these tanks swapping props out etc due to porpoising. Same same on the Etec owners group site that I frequent. If it's straight, I can return them and if not I'll install them. In the past year plus of researching SeaArk boats, it's a fairly common issue. Bennett sells to SeaArk direct and they install a whole lot of these at the factory. But back to your post, thank you =D>

Yeh bro all good,

If anything you find you do need them and then install them, you’ll know how much they helped and that would be some good firsthand info for others.

Hey bro if you do end up having an issue with porpoising you may also want to consider negative trim wedges.

I had to put them on my Mako. I just couldn’t get enough negative trim to keep the bow down. I think I got them from Bob’s. It was no accident I did it on porpoise………… :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
I kill myself.

Hey thanks Dave. For grins I put my Garmin GPSMAP 720s next to the Lowrance 12 Touch. Jest a lil bit off difference in size :LOL2:

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 733

Latest posts