Boat prices

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many an old car I tried to buy when I had a route out in the country for UPS, sat in a field and rusted out over the years. They were all going to restore it they said. Sad to drive by them every day and see them just rotting. Never got restored. Some asked me years and years later if I was still interested, but by that point they were too far gone for me.

Prices in my area are all over the place. Seems nobody has any idea what anything is worth. 12-14' tinnies from $125-1000. With trailers and/or motors: $700-5000. No major differences in any of them. Good deals get snapped up almost immediately. Overpriced crap sits around, but after a few weeks or months the owners many times will settle for less than half the asking price. Esp right now with the cool weather moving in. Got an empty trailer that's begging for a boat and am looking to upgrade my primary boat. Been looking all summer. Still looking. I could have grabbed a bargain or two, but they just didn't seem quite right. Willing to wait until the perfect boat comes along. Money in hand, checking the ads several times a day.

I live right in the middle of the unbuilt area. Three boat listed in Henryetta are total garbage with no titles. The few I have found that are not listed the owners were out to lunch on price. Found a nice 9.9 2 stroke and the guy wanted $5,000.00 I just laughed and walked away. Am more interested in a motor than a boat. I keep hearing the same story over and over " It ran good last year" Or "I have no way of running it right now"I took the top off of one motor that "Ran last year" and it was full of Brown Recluses it was obvious that the motor had not been run in a long time. Then the story that really gets me "It Runs Good But It Might Need A New Water Pump " or " It Might Need Some Carburetor Work" Am going to continue looking but it is getting very disappointing.

Yikes! I would be frustrated too. Guy with the used 9.9 for $5K should take a look at prices of new motors.

Out of curiosity I spent some time looking at local used boats. There were a couple what I would consider good deals in the 16'-18' range. Those in the 12' -14' seem to carry a premium. That size is popular and in demand it seems.
The dealers near me seem to carry mostly 14' boats, some 16', but yeah, the 14 seems to be popular. No difference in the regs or titling though in NY.

I looked for about six weeks in upstate NY and northern PA, constantly checking on FB marketplace and CL. A couple boats that I targeted, I lost because I didn't jump on them fast enough. Eventually I found a nice 2017 Alumacraft 14 tiller with a factory floor that had never had a gas outboard on it, just moored in a small lake in PA with a trolling motor. Beautiful shape, very little wear at all. Bought it from the original owner with the troller and original trailer for 2700, then bought a new Yamaha 25hp with electric star and power t/t. I have no ability or desire to deal with small engine repair. I looked online at hundreds, maybe thousands of boats, and never saw any "screaming deals" for anything in nice shape. I'd rather pay a fair price for something that has no issues than save a few bucks and get the surprise later on.

When I saw the Alumacraft on FB on a Friday evening, I was down there the next morning. And yes, there were others who had contacted him and waiting to see if zi bought it.

Last edited:
Aluminum is down. High of just under $3900/ton back in Feb 2022, down to under $2200/ton. Aluminum is back to it's price in 2017/2018.
Those are scrape or unprocessed aluminum...sheet aluminum and tempered aluminum sheet is still high compared to a few years ago. It is the processing that makes the cost high. Many auto makers are now using aluminum components which keep the price up.

The dealers near me seem to carry mostly 14' boats, some 16', but yeah, the 14 seems to be popular. No difference in the regs or titling though in NY.

I looked for about six weeks in upstate NY and northern PA, constantly checking on FB marketplace and CL. A couple boats that I targeted, I lost because I didn't jump on them fast enough. Eventually I found a nice 2017 Alumacraft 14 tiller with a factory floor that had never had a gas outboard on it, just moored in a small lake in PA with a trolling motor. Beautiful shape, very little wear at all. Bought it from the original owner with the troller and original trailer for 2700, then bought a new Yamaha 25hp with electric star and power t/t. I have no ability or desire to deal with small engine repair. I looked online at hundreds, maybe thousands of boats, and never saw any "screaming deals" for anything in nice shape. I'd rather pay a fair price for something that has no issues than save a few bucks and get the surprise later on.

When I saw the Alumacraft on FB on a Friday evening, I was down there the next morning. And yes, there were others who had contacted him and waiting to see if zi bought it.

Good find! Are you going to scrape up that pretty boat and get Susky mud on it? ;)

Need pics to prove it !!! I gave up tillers a number of years back due to bad shoulders. My jon is still a tiller but doesn't see much use anymore. Primary boat is steering wheel all the way!

Bought it from a carpenter. He redid the floor. Marine ply and glass. Rest of the boat is really in pretty good shape. Even the original seats aren't half bad. Wiring is a mess. Guy was a good carpenter but a lousy electrician! I'm good at that though, so I'll straighten it all out.

Trailer needs a coat of paint, no big deal. Biggest problem is the guy let it sit all year and now it just coughs but won't start. So pretty sure I'll be flushing the tank and cleaning the carbs. One thing I have to figure out is how you choke the big Merc. Anybody know?

Attachments

• Crestliner 19.jpg
    Crestliner 19.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
Cleaned up the interior a little today.

Attachments

• Crestliner 20.jpg
    Crestliner 20.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Crestliner 26.jpg
    Crestliner 26.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Crestliner 28.jpg
    Crestliner 28.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Crestliner 30.jpg
    Crestliner 30.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 0
The ignition switch does push in. Are you supposed to hold it in while cranking?

The ignition switch does push in. Are you supposed to hold it in while cranking?
no just press it once and then turn the key to start... you pressurize the fuel line with the bulb then pressing in the switch pulls in a 12v solenoid and squirts some fuel into the carb(s)