Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished the 1448 last night. Going to put her up for sale now. I really hate to part with it. :cry: I’ve caught a ton of fish out of that boat but I really don’t have room for another boat and I could also use the money for some stuff for my new project.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,796
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,793
This is a great forum and it’s a great place to get ideas and trade techniques. I’ve already learned a lot just by looking at and reading some great rebuilds thread. This is how I find the center of an area or surface. Also how I center whatever I’m installing in the center, in other words center on center. There may be a different way but this always works well for me.
First I measure the length and just divide the measurement by two. Then I make a few marks at the half way point, put a straightedge on it and mark a line across it. Then I just do the same thing for the width. Were the lines cross is the center.

Then I make an outline on a soft piece of cardboard or alike by putting something on the edge of “in this case hatch cover” and transfer it over to the cardboard by pressing down on it. You can use shoe polish paint whatever, I just used some wax I had laying around.

Then just make your cutout along the outside edge and you have your template. If the cover fits in to the cutout then you know it’s all good.
Then I just do the same thing I did with the surface that’s going to be cutout. Measure with and length of the template, make you lines with a straightedge and you now have that center. Put a hole in the center of the template were the X is and then center the hole of the X on the surface that’s going to be cutout and now you are center on center. Like I said there may be a different way but this always works well for me. . Pics are out of order but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,937
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,937
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,937
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
Bass n flats said:
Are you going to be lining your compartments?

Just going to prim, paint and line the bottom with a removable mat. Just don’t want to have any bare aluminum exposed. I was pleasantly surprised there wasn’t more pitting from all the water that was in the boxes. A little bit but it looks like the transom took the biggest hit.

That is the weirdest thing I was drawing out some ideas for new deck layouts and I am planning on putting some compartments in the same place

I spent the morning working on the transom. It’s going to be a full transom not like the ¾ one that came out.
I made a template out of some cheep press board. $8.00 at HD. A couple of little tweaks and it fit perfect. Not bad for just making a few measurements, well not bad for me anyway. :LOL2:

I wire wheeled the front side of the transom. Look at the deep pitting :cry: JB weld to the rescue. I will sand it down tomorrow night and put on the first coat of self etching primer, a couple good coats of that, then some paint as well.
The outside of the transom is getting some 5200 were I closed up a couple of holes in the front with the above mentioned JB weld. :p I’m also going to steel flex the outside of the transom as well as the sponsons and hull bottom.
Here is the first piece of 0.125 I cut from the template. Making a little progress. O did I mention I got all of the foam out of the boxes. \:D/

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,849
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
Badbagger said:

Thanks BB,

I really like the hull it’s made pretty well and it’s going to be a good boat for me. I think Lowe boats make a pretty good product but there are a few things they could have done better. If I was to grade them “Like they really care” :lol: Overall the grade is B.

I can’t for the life of me understand why they wouldn’t have sealed up the transom core/wood. :shock: It’s just a little over 10 year’s old. The rot started at the top of the core and that cap has never been off before so, I know it’s not like it’s been apart before or it came from the motor mount holes. I know Thompson’s water seal and alike doesn’t play well with aluminum but why not fiberglass resin or some kind of epoxy? O and would it have been that far out of range of cost efficiency to put some paint or something on the bare aluminum. [-X Just venting. Ok I feel better now.

So where's the latest progress ? There's GOTTA be some haha! What's that hull rated for anyway engine wise?

Badbagger said:
So where's the latest progress ? There's GOTTA be some haha! What's that hull rated for anyway engine wise?

I haven’t really had a chance to do much. Work has been busy. I did sell the 1448 and I’ve ordered my Jack plate. Now I have room at the house to bring the 1752 home where it will be much more convenient to work on.

I’ve also decided to fab my own sponsons/float pods/bla bla bla :LOL2: There are a few companies that are building them but I just want to make my own. Here are a couple of links if anybody is interested.

https://www.boydwelding.com/category/products/float-pods
https://www.explorebeavertail.com/flotationpods.html

O sorry BB,

Hull is rated for 80 HP. Only 35 ponys les than whats going on it. But when I'm done the transom will be twice what it was when it rolled off the line, :)