Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Badbagger said:
Good deal. Careful if you try to insure it, you're overpowered and may not get a policy written.

Well I hope I don’t offend anyone in the esurience industry but most esurience is BS. They will be more than happy to collect your premiums but God forbid you make a claim and now you’re the bad guy, and it’s like pulling teeth to get anything done. ](*,)

Besides I have redneck insurance, if it breaks I fix it. :)

Lol, I know what you mean. They do take your money. The only reason you wouldn't be insured/covered is liability since the boat is technically overpowered by 33% and if there was an issue and someone else was hurt, injured or worse. I've read too many horror stories about uninsured boaters hurting/killing someone in a overpowered boat and those folks lost their homes, life savings and the like. And NO, I don't work for any insurance company lol, I'm a PI. Keep posting those pics and progress updates. Looks great.

Badbagger said:
Lol, I know what you mean. They do take your money. The only reason you wouldn't be insured/covered is liability since the boat is technically overpowered by 33% and if there was an issue and someone else was hurt, injured or worse. I've read too many horror stories about uninsured boaters hurting/killing someone in a overpowered boat and those folks lost their homes, life savings and the like. And NO, I don't work for any insurance company lol, I'm a PI. Keep posting those pics and progress updates. Looks great.

Thanks for the words of wisdom BB.

The only boat I’ve ever had insurance on was my 33 Wellcraft, and the only reason I did was because I financed some of it and they wouldn’t do the deal without it. I take my son in law and grand kids fishing with me as much as I can and believe you me safety first in everything I do.

In some ways 35 extra ponies might seem like a lot but in realty it’s not. If you’re reckless you can get in trouble with a 9.9 on a 10ft Jon. I’m pretty anal about things and believe it or not safety is one of them. I’ve learned a few good lessons the hard way over the years. #-o

Ok I changed my mind again. :LOL2: I went ahead and ordered the Sponsons/ Flotation Pods from Beavertail. I got the medium pods. “No handles” I just figured instead of making them myself it will leave me more time to do other things I need to get done.

Besides I don’t have a plasma cuter and I would really be doing it twice.
First I would have to cut and mock up everything with some other material, get it all fitted and then go back cut all my pieces from aluminum stock and them weld them to the transom. This way all I have to do is weld them on right out of the box. =D>

Attachments

• mediumpods.jpg
    mediumpods.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,133
  • Pods-Main.jpg
    Pods-Main.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 3,133
Poormans Boatright said:
Guess, you don't need me to pm you the dimensions off my boat anymore then? Since you decided to buy the prefabed ones.

No bro but I do really appreciate your help. I really have a lot to do and to make those would have put me way behind. The price isn’t bad and the reviews were all good. Pics when I get them.

Hello everyone, Marry Christmas.

Well the hustle bustle of the holiday season has not afforded me much of an opportunity to work on my project. However with that being said I did find a little time and therefore, I’ve made a little progress.

The JB weld that I applied to the pitted area of the inside panel of the transom was sanded down. For anyone who doesn’t think that stuff is tuff, try and hand sand it after it’s been curing in the florida sun for a week. :lol: I had to do exactly that. There were some spots I couldn’t get two with my grinder/sander so I had to block sand them by hand. ](*,)

I also got all three of my front hatches cut out and most of the foam removed. One in the center front of the forward bulkhead were the front deck starts, that’s where the trolling motor battery is going to go. The other two on top of the front deck as far back and to the side as they could go. I forgot to snap pics of that. Next update.
I was also able to get my wood cut, bonded and fitted. I will seal the wood core up in epoxy resin as soon as I get a chance.

I used two pieces of ¾ in 5 ply hardwood and bonded them together. It’s going to be a full transom not like the ¾ that came out.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,084
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,084
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
Hey thanks guys,

You never make as much progress as you think you’re going to for a given time but hey, you just have to keep chugging along. I got my Jack plate now I’m waiting on the float pods from Beavertail.

I was able to get the transom wood sealed up in epoxy resin; I also got the rest of the foam removed from the front deck. I guess the biggest thing that’s behind me now was sanding the floor for the aluminum primer. I think it was about 4 hours. #-o When I paint the rest of her I’m going to spray it but I want the floor paint on THICK THICK THICK.

O yeh I’m going to roll on the steelflex as well.
Next she gets a bath with the pressure washer and then I can prime the floor. A little cold today to play in the water.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,021
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,021
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,021
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,021
Happy New Year’s y’all,

She got a pressure wash today and I got a couple of thick coats of primer on the floor. Pretty happy about that. I don’t even know if I will put some paint on top of it or not. Just want to protect the aluminum and help keep her quiet/reduce any hull slap. I’m going to frame up the floor a little bit so I won’t even see it.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,998
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
Gators5220 said:
Man that sucker is lookin sweet!

Thanks Gator,

Well quick up date,
I got the aluminum for my floor supports/stringers yesterday. 1 ½ X 1 ½ X 0.93 square tube. I cut a couple of section last night and they’re going to work out good. Unfortunately I’m going to have surgery tomorrow morning to remove a wisdom tooth. :(

I don’t guess I’m going to be feeling up to working on my project for at least a couple of day. Maybe by Sunday I’ll feel up to cutting the rest of the stringers and putting down some paint on top of the primer. Yeh I decided to go ahead and do that. The paint is not that expensive and I’ll feel better about the floor having a little bit more insulation.

They'll hook you up with some good medicine amd you'll be on your feet before ya know it. Boat looks man

Latest posts