does anyone have this little harbor freight trailer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh870

Reaction score
i cant afford the harbor freight boat trailer and i cant find anything used, so i was thinking of making one out of harbor freights smallest trailer. i have a couple questions for anyone who owns one, first, can a leaf be removed to soften the springs? and can someone tell me the inner diameter of the tongue? if anyone has a link to someone making a boat trailer out of one of these that would be great. thanks

Attachments

• image_24294.jpg
    image_24294.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4,981
I used to have one of those. It is only 36x48 inches. You can take a leaf spring out but it is easier to just adjust the tire pressure a little to keep it from bouncing around. Tongue was not a box channel, it was more of a C channel, whole thing is pretty lightweight.
Tim

I would get the 4x8 "heavy duty" one if you want to go that route. They come on sale and I got mine for about $280 out the door. It was a decent trailer and would do fine for a tin boat for sure. I had my dog box mounted to mine which weighs close to 600 lbs and it held it fine and that was with the bottom leaf removed.

i actually had the 4x8, but i sold it over the winter figuring i could buy a real boat trailer. #-o turns out i cant.

I've seen small boat trailer that look just like that but with very long tongues. Also guys put longer tongues on them to haul kayaks. IIRC the trailer is 48"x48". I wouldn't worry about the springs and always run the tires at max inflation.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I've seen small boat trailer that look just like that but with very long tongues. Also guys put longer tongues on them to haul kayaks. IIRC the trailer is 48"x48". I wouldn't worry about the springs and always run the tires at max inflation.
thats what i was planning but cant find steel square tube long enough.

the trailer in the picture should be 36x48 iirc, or at least at my local HB they are. For the tube, you can get it by the foot at a local metal distributor. My old 12' aluminum had a square trailer with the long tongue and it worked out just fine.

I had the 4x8 one, but sold it this last winter. Don't really need it since we have a minivan now, I can fit tons of stuff in the back of that.

i have one of the "boat trailers" like that. did very well when i used it for the jet ski i used to have. the one i had had 2"x 4" tongue.

I just bought their boat trailer. I have a 12' aluminum. Put it together in about 6 hours. Took my time and drank beer haha. Have only used it once but very impressed with the quality. Use their super coupon any single item 20% off. $300 shipped to the door got it in two days. Can't beat the price. I added a winch to the front and done.

tomorrow is 25% off so i am probably just going to get the same 4x8 trailer i had, but i will take a leaf off each side this time. will probably get the small one later and make it into a proper boat trailer and build a camper on this one. thanks for the replies!

so i got the 4x8, and i got it mostly together, and well....

Attachments

• IMG_20150405_151615016.jpg
    IMG_20150405_151615016.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4,864
Now that you have your immediate need for a trailer taken care of you should put a trailer wanted listing on CL in the wanted and boat sections.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Now that you have your immediate need for a trailer taken care of you should put a trailer wanted listing on CL in the wanted and boat sections.
well i did, but now i dont have the money so i took it down. i didnt get this trailer together yet, having some large fitment issues

I bought the same trailer a few months back to build my dox box trailer with. Putting that thing together is a PAIN to say the least and like you said, it seems like nothing fits like it should. One thing that I did that I STRONGLY recommend with these trailers is that once you get it all put together, take a wire wheel, clean up ALL joints and weld the crap out of it. Took an hour or so to do this but it took almost all of the sway out of the trailer. Good luck.

i had no problem getting my last one together, but i sold it. this one was crap, the brackets for the tongue were crooked so it wasnt going together. had to take it all apart and bring it back. on the bright side i may have finally found a boat trailer! guys bringing it by today

Looks good, just add a tongue jack.
How are the tires, lights, bunks and bearings and seals?

Latest posts