G3 1548 "My take on a classic"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hunterguy86 said:
Looking good!

Can you go into a little more detail on the bow mounted trim switch. I'd like to do that same mod.

Thanks hunterguy. I was just going to send you a PM, but I figured there might be someone else out there wishing to do this mod. So, here it goes.

This is a pretty simple mod, but one which you will use often. The switch I used is made by T-H Marine. You can buy it through many boat accessory retailers. Cost ranges between $29-$35. The switch has three wires coming from it. One purple, one light blue, and one light green. The purple wire is your "hot", or power. The light blue wire is "up". The light green wire is "down". Obviously, the wiring diagram may change from one model of controls to another, but I think these colors are fairly standard for the industry. I've included a picture of a wiring diagram for a newer Yamaha. Maybe it will help.

Before starting any work, make sure the battery or power source is disconnected. Identify the location that you want to mount the switch. It comes with two black screws, but I replaced them with quality SS ones.) From the 18" pigtail that comes off the switch, extend each wire using water proof butt connectors so that they reach the controls. Make sure you leave a little extra room to work with. You can always trim the excess off later. I like to put a dab of dielectric grease on all connections for peace of mind. Heat shrink tubing or liquid electrical tape will help prevent water from entering the connection as well. Make sure you route all wires so that they are protected and out of the way. I used flexible wire loom, or conduit that runs down the channel on the side of the boat. Some use PVC for this. Once the switch is mounted, and all wires have been run, it's time to open that control box. Remove the screws that affix the controls to the boat, so that you can access the back cover. Remove the screws that hold the cover in place to reveal the wiring inside. In my case it was easy to identify the three wires I needed to connect to. There was a Light green wire, a light blue wire and a red wire coming from the motor and running into the control box. These correspond to the green, blue, and purple wires running from your new switch. Avoid using wire taps to make your connections, as they can bring problems down the road. Splice into the wires with good solid butt connectors, and waterproof them the same way you did the others. Do not rely on the control box itself to protect the connections. Once all connections are made, reconnect the battery and test the trim switch on the bow. Then test the trim button on the controls and the one on the motor to ensure everything is working properly before starting reassembly. If everything checks out, replace the cover on the control box, and mount it back to the boat. Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC01818.jpg
    DSC01818.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 1,208
Brock T said:
Do you ever fish around Bogue Field? I was stationed there during my enlistment. We had pretty good luck with the reds!

Semper Fi

I actually haven't. I've been stationed here for over 10 years, but usually I don't fish any further north than the New River Inlet. I usually target reds, flounder, and sea trout from New River down to Bald Head Island. I really need to get up there though.

Thanks for the info! So you made the connection in the control box. I was going back and forth between there and at the motor. That's a big help.

hunterguy86 said:
Thanks for the info! So you made the connection in the control box. I was going back and forth between there and at the motor. That's a big help.

My pleasure. I think connecting in the control box is the way to go. Connections are closer to the switch (less wiring), protected by the control box and are hidden to provide a clean install. When you get yours mounted, be sure to post some pics. Good luck!

Really cool job You've done, something to be very proud of. =D> =D> =D> I hope You now have uninterrupted time to enjoy it. Nice "Tin Indian" in the garage, is it Poncho powered, or BBC?. If it wouldn't be so hard on it, imagine the look on peoples face at the ramp, when You came in with sounding like a Pro Gas car ready for a burnout, with a boat behind it! 8)

Thanks for the comments novaman. There is a BBC between the fenders. It's displacing about 500 cubes. They say there's no replacement for displacement. So, are you really a "Nova" man?

Hello all,

So it's been quite awhile since I've visited the site. Mostly due to the tempo at work and the cold weather. Well, now it's spring, and I thought I'd share some new upgrades that I worked on over the winter.

My trolling motor is a nice Minnkota Riptide saltwater with 55 lbs. of thrust, but it's only a 12V model. After a long day of fishing, the battery will be laboring pretty hard to pull the boat around. Even with my blue top Optima, I sometimes get back to the ramp with only 25% juice left. What I really hate is that I always worry about running out of power. When I'm out on the water, I just want to think about fishing and enjoy myself, so I came up with this fix:

I decided to double up on batteries to extend my trolling motor's performance. I wired up the batteries in parallel to keep the system at 12 volts, but effectively doubled the capacity. I built some aluminum hold down brackets to keep them from bouncing around. These, coupled with the Yeti tie down straps, make for a pretty secure mounting. I installed a ProMariner ProMite 3 bank on board charger to keep everything topped off and ready for the next outing. As a precaution, I wired a single circuit switch between the positive jumper cable connecting the batteries. I turn the switch off when charging, which separates the batteries. When I'm ready to fish, a simple turn of the switch connects the batteries together again. My cause for concern was that each battery is fed by its own 12V lead coming from the charger. I believe that if I had kept the batteries in parallel while charging, I would actually be sending 24 volts into the system (12v + 12v). Obviously, this would not be good. The instructions that came with the charger weren't really clear. They show how to hook the system up on two batteries in series, but not parallel. Any members out there who are more knowledgeable on electric circuits, feel free to comment. Anyways, I feel confident that what I did will work just fine, so long as I don't forget to turn the battery disconnect switch to the off position before charging. I will post some pics of the install tomorrow. Feedback welcome: Positive or negative.

23mako said:
Good deal on the upgrades. I really like your rig.

Thanks 23mako. I appreciate it!

Here are the pics I promised from the post above.

Attachments

• 1341186686209.jpg
    1341186686209.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 1,129
  • DSC01882.jpg
    DSC01882.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 1,129
  • DSC01881.jpg
    DSC01881.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • DSC01880.jpg
    DSC01880.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 1,129
23mako said:
True story on maximizing space. Does that floor get hot on your feet?

Truthfully, the heat's not bad, but it is rough. If you have soft feet, it is not comfortable to walk on bare foot. Luckily, I have gnarly feet, so it's no problem. My wife and daughter always wear some kinda sandals, though.

I have something like this in my boat and like it a lot. Keeps cool and is easy on the feet. Also allows water to drain rather effortlessly.

https://www.rubbercal.com/Dura_Chef_Interlock.html

First off nice job on everything! A couple of questions. Where did you find the over sized cup holders, one that size that can hold a can in a coozie is nice. And B, where did you get the fiberglass poles for the anchors?

https://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm

That is where I got mine.

fishingmich said:
First off nice job on everything! A couple of questions. Where did you find the over sized cup holders, one that size that can hold a can in a coozie is nice. And B, where did you get the fiberglass poles for the anchors?

Thanks for the compliment, fishingmich. I got the oversized cup holders at West Marine, but you can find them at Boater's World, Bass Pro Shops and other boating supply stores as well. They come in super handy, especially in the summer. Without a coozie, your drink will stay cold for what, 3 minutes?

I got the fiberglass poles from an online pipe, plastic and metal supply store. If you do an Internet search for "solid fiberglass rod stock", you will find many options. Look around for the best prices. Mine were sold in 12' lengths, but the shipping costs for something that large are ridiculous. The company I purchased from offered convenient "cut to length" options in order to keep shipping costs down. That worked perfectly for me, since I only needed 8' lengths anyways. I ended up with a 4' piece of scrap that I'll probably never use, but it was worth it. I love these things. No more fluke anchor. I fish shallow water mostly anyhow, but if the fish are deep I just drift for them. Cheers, and good luck.

Hello again everyone,

I'm so stoked that Spring is finally here, and I can't wait to get out on the water! I went ahead and pulled my boat off the trailer the other day, so I could do some trailer maintenance. So often, we upgrade our boats, but neglect the trailer. If you've ever beaten on an axle spindle that had a disintegrated bearing practically welded to it at night, in the rain, on the shoulder of Interstate 95, then you know the importance of keeping your trailer in tip top shape. (True story BTW) Anyways, here's a list of some of the things I replaced:
New wheels and tires (High speed)
New hubs and bearings
Bearing buddies added
New leaf springs (Old ones were rusted out)
Recarpeted the bunks (side and bottom)
Replaced a lot of rusted iron hardware with SS
New winch strap (old one was dry rotted)
New trailer jack

I did all of this over a few weeks to spread out the cost. Figure a few hundred bucks to purchase all the parts if you do the labor.

On a final note, I just renewed my registration for three years and the new decal came the other day. I could'nt stand the way the previous owner had painted in the letters to fill in places where it had rubbed off. So, before applying the new decal, I decided to redo the registration number. I scraped off all the old stickers and sanded the area smooth. I masked off the area and painted it. First with aluminum primer, then with two coats of white gloss. Once dry, I affixed the new characters. Came out pretty nice. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC01892.jpg
    DSC01892.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 1,064
  • pic 13 - Copy.jpg
    pic 13 - Copy.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • DSC01890.jpg
    DSC01890.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 1,064
  • pic 12.jpg
    pic 12.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 1,064
Hey guys,

Well, I finally got out on the water for about two hours today. It's the first time I've had the boat out this season. It's just been so darn cold! Anyways, I wanted to test out some of the new mods and upgrades I had made, so out I went. I didn't even bring my fishing poles, but I did bring the wife! I must be coming down with something. Haha I did full speed runs with the current and against it to see how the new SS prop would perform. I was able to muster a best speed of 31 mph, but my RPMs were hovering around 5000-5100. That is way too low for my Yammy, which will be happiest topping out between 5700-6000 RPMs. Now I have to get a new prop to replace my new prop. What a pain. The one I ran today is a Solas SS that measures 11" diameter by 13" pitch. I am probably gonna go with the same prop in an 11" pitch. This should get my RPM's where they need to be, and top speed should increase. I bet she'll do at least 35 mph at WOT with the RPMs just under 6000.
I also fooled around with my new Lowrance Elite 7 HDI fishfinder. I'm pleased so far, but I still don't really know how to use all of the features. I mainly cruised around to see what speed I got the best picture at, and the top speed I could maintain without losing the bottom image/depth reading. I also played with the settings, and learned how to set waypoints, etc. I'm pretty happy. All in all, it was a good day even though I had higher hopes for the new prop. You know how it goes...two guys could be running the same boat with the same motor, but put the same prop on each boat and sometimes you get different results. It's like voo doo. haha

Attachments

• DSC01901.jpg
    DSC01901.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC01896.jpg
    DSC01896.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC01900.jpg
    DSC01900.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 1,046