Holmes 14' Valco project! Edited with lots of pics!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Awesome, right now I'm redoing a U13 13' valco. I've faced almost the same problems you have here. The transom was hell getting the staples out. Right now i just cut out my middle seat and im getting prepped for painting. afterwards im putting in a total deck from front seat to the rear seat already have the decking between the front seat and bow done when i got the boat. I do a lot of tournaments so im also adding in 2 livewells. was going to go the cooler route but now I think im goin to go ahead with a rubbermaid container. Mounting a bow mount foot control and a front pedestal seat, as soon as painting, decking and carpeting are done. Motor is a 1978 9.9 johnson was a long shaft but we just got done cutting it down to a short (the long was driving me nuts taking it back and forth to the lake). but until christmas is done kind of on hiatus on it until money starts flowing again.

@tsohg - Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your build on here.

Here are some updated pictures!

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 870
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 870
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 870
Ok...don't know why those pics are upside down! I was not upside down when I took them, honest. ;)

Happy happy, joy joy - look what came in the mail today! Thanks Jim!

lure.JPG

Also I got an exceptional deal on some tackle at a yardsale a couple weeks back!

I had zero gear, having moved here from eastern Canada - sold/gave away everything we owned back there. So, I had been keeping an eye out for good yardsales for fishing gear. CHecked out one that claimed they had fishing rods and as I showed up I seen a greedy reseller loading his van full with about thirty rods - some with reels. He got them for $50.

I was a little dissappointed and was talking to the owners saying I had just come out for them and they were like, "We have a bit of tackle for sale too, you know!" So I look at it and it turns out this is all their sons stuff. He doesn't live there and they just want rid of it.

I didn't even haggle over the price...I was too excited. I probably could have gotten it for less....but check this out. All this gear and the two tackle boxes for a whopping $10!

tackle1.JPG

tackle2.JPG

Wow nice haul. I had to completely restart my selection too. about 2 years ago Ex wife took it all! I will post some pics as soon as im able. What did you do to that floor? is that bedliner?
I was thinking about bedliner for the rear section of the boat were i keep my battery and my gas tank. then possibly under the area i have my livewell setup in. nother question how much paint have you used so far primer wise?

I used Rustoleum self etching primer...think it was 4.77 at Walmart. I used either 3 or 4 for the entire interior....I would say 4 to be safe.

The floor is Rusoleum truck bed liner. It went on great and feels like the adhesion was excellent...nice hard coat....so far. I believe that was three cans, I went over it a couple times.

Picked up a couple plastic Bucket seats off Craigslist today for $15. Not bad to start me off! I figure When I get myself a nicer one I can just move the rear one to the middle...Will post pics inevitably.

check around at your local pawn shops .For your fishing tackle they can have some great deals!

ok cool was going to go with the self etching primer from walmart. most of my floor will be decked over here real soon. got a small spray gun and was going to coat the inside with rustoleum metal enamel gloss grey. the spray gun i have is technically a touchup gun so i think im going to be spending alot of time mixing paint. got lucky on finding a bowmount today 41lb motorguide magnum footcontrol i found for $150. Didnt have 150 so sold old shotgun to a friend whos been wanting it. last part i have to do before i start the paint process is im going to pressure wash the inside out due to the mass of aluminum shards and paint dust on the inside. then a vinegar wash and the primer. Very excited. Ive already got the marine carpet set aside. Father had it sitting in his shed for years.

Congrats on the troller. Always nice if you can get a deal, and trading something you don't need for something you want is great.

I found the rattle cans with the little two dollar handle sprayer worked great...super easy. I don't find it a big enough job to need anything else, but I suppose it would make a nice finish to use a bigger sprayer.

I found the pressure washer sprayed stuff around and didn't get all the loose stuff out of the boat for me...what was great was taking it down to a 'do it yourself' car wash and using the super powerful vacuums there. They sucked it clean!

I have not really decided on carpet or a nice gloss paint for the inside yet...haven't committed to carpet or finished wood on the benches yet either...tossing it back and forth.

After ALOT of time on the water in this baby. Im definately going with carpet. especially having it free.

Nice gloss paint on the inside shouldnt take much. But since i got the sprayer doing it this way costs half of what it would if i rattlecanned it.

wish i had a good diagram to show what im doing to it. When i first decided to deck it. I loaded up Sketchup and drafted the whole project out on the computer.

Now a Valco is very hard to do so many curves. But was VERY useful for figuring out distances and measurements

Oh and for the pressure wash we tip the boat on its side and just blow it all off. hopefully that will get it all!

Makes sense...I was alone and don't know practically anyone in Vegas yet...at least not close enough to get help.

Take a screen shot of the sketch up image...or just send the file to me and I can if you don't know how. I love sketch up....I would love to have the file for my selfish purposes anyway!

Back to the drawing board realized i made a big mistake early on in my drafting. now got to rethink this but same overall just got to figure out the why that happened. When i had originally designed the decking supports i drafted out many different builds. when i seen this build here i knew i had found a winner. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18442 this is a beautifully done valco. and i loved how simple his deck was made. Problem is his shape for a 12' seem to be a little different then my 13' . I think my boat may be a little older, the front of mine slopers in and drops alot faster then his seems to? I still want to use that deck plan but may have to modify it a bit pictures coming today!

Allllllrighty then! Big update.

My wife has been jonesing for me to get the boat water worthy before her family comes for Christmas, cause she wants me to take her Dad and her sisters boyfriend out fishing.

I of course did not argue, and so I have been trying to get enough progress done the past week and a half to get it on the water.

I decided for now to just put in bench seats. It will be easy enough to take them out when I can spend on the plywood for the deck, just a few bolts.

That being said, I did not splurge on nice wood I just grabbed some knotty pine, cut them to size and slapped spar urethane on them so they will at least last as long as I need them to.

I also picked up a couple piano hinges for two of the benches, that way I can flip them up for temporary storeage.

WICKED DEAL ON MY STAINLESS HARDWARE FOR THE TRANSOM! Went to West Marine, filled up my baggies and when I cashed out, I was chatting with the guy at the counter, he types in the numbers for the washers and nuts and then tosses the bag with the bolts at me and says, "These ones are on us." What?!? Awesome! The bolts were the most expensive part, so I ended up only having to pay $11!

Got the transom on, sealed holes with 5200, bolted down the transom support, sealed seams with 5200, GOT MY MOTOR BACK TOGETHER!

So pumped about that - for whatever reason, I did nothing different that I know of, when I tried putting the lower end back up, it worked this time....score!

Painted the interior with Machine Grey from Rustoleum - the only high performance grey enamel I could find at either the Orange Box, the Blue Box or Wally World...found it at the Orange Box. Went on like a charm and seems nice and hard so far.

Also sanded down my anchor mate a little, it was covered in surface rust, and painted that the grey, and the bow cap got a coat of white to match what the outside will look like.

The transom repair seems to be A1 and much stronger.

5200 takes way longer to dry than I figured...it has been several days and last night was still tacky.

Last thing, I think - picked up two bucket seats off Craigs for $15.

Pictures forthcoming, and hopefully more updating soon.

Questions...where is the best place to buy anchor rope? Transom trolling motor...which side would you mount it on?

Attachments

• anchor mate.JPG
    anchor mate.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 857
  • IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 857
  • IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 857
  • boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 855
  • transom.JPG
    transom.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 855
  • transom2.JPG
    transom2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 855
I have mine ion the opposite side i sit on, so when im runnin down the lake and the TM is folded up its not hittin me on the head. Looks Great!

Thanks for the input!

I climbed into it yesterday to give it a hands on test. Seems to work better for me on the starboard side. On the port side i found it inconvenient to lift the main motor tiller up over the troller when turning.

I will not permanently attach the cutting board material plate I made to the back, just use the pressure to hold it in place...that way i can change it around if i decide.

Now that is looking good! wish my transom went in that nice looking. mine got pretty banged up because i didnt cut the aluminum.

Looks like I am going to need a new kill button for my motor...anyone have a parts Johnson or know a cheap place I could get the piece? It's a 9.5 hp oldie.