Holmes 14' Valco project! Edited with lots of pics!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any opinions on leaving out the rear support braces that attach to the bench?

I have put the front two and middle two on, but would prefer to leave the rear ones out if the boat performance won't suffer.

I would think the front four would be the most important for removing flex...

Jdholmes said:
Any opinions on leaving out the rear support braces that attach to the bench?

I have put the front two and middle two on, but would prefer to leave the rear ones out if the boat performance won't suffer.

I would think the front four would be the most important for removing flex...

If you're looking to save some space, I've seen angled aluminum braces used for support. Just a thought.
Here's a video of what I'm talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iEmU3UQ8K0

That's not a bad idea...it is less about space and more about appearance to be honest. the front and middle ones connect to the rear of each bench, but then the rear brace connects to the front of the bench. It looks weird.

My wife liked the idea of the angle bracket...she wasn't so excited about me leaving the rear bench supports out completely.

She also thinks we should paint the motor cowling something fun...I'm not so excited about that idea. ;)

This is how she (the boat) looks today.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327199235.504830.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327199235.504830.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 721
On a side note, got a sweet yard sale deal today! We are looking into doing some primitive (ish) camping...like doing a little two day fishing trip up the Colorado and camping on shore.

Been watching Craigslist, and stopped into a moving sale today.

Nabbed a Coleman tent (which looks to have been used once maybe), a lantern, an extension cord, a staple gun. A carpenters square and a wicked cooler for a whopping grand total of $18!

The cooler is really perfect to use as a live well if I want to...as you will see in the pics it is a flip top, which I have never seen before, and it has a ruler embossed on the tip. Love it!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327199595.652732.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327199595.652732.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 720
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327199611.476081.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327199611.476081.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 720
Hey man,

I did think of yours...you do have L channel that attaches to all your benches though...little different cause mine only had the angled ones to begin with. I think I am going to attach something on the rear that looks like yours.

The boat is looking good JD. Heck of a score on that tent and other items. I use to have a cooler exactly like that one. If you're still looking for that kill switch, try ebay. I've got a 75 merc 20hp and I'm always keeping an eye on ebay for any items I need. One item I see often are kill switches for mine. Have you considered another pulley for for that anchor line? Looks like it could use one about even with the front edge of the front seat. That should change the angle of the rope so it's not in the way for the front seat.

I use to be boat poor, but I recently inherited 2 Gamefishers (12' and 16') and traded for a 15' Fisher. I just started the tearout on the Fisher.

Hey JMichael,

Thanks for the compliment and advice. I had thought about doing a second pulley. Though it actually wasn't as much in the way as it looks in the pic I did decide to take another look today. After looking at it again I figured with a little jimmy rigging I could just move the one pulley further up. In order to do that without having the rope run I took my dremel and used the cutting wheel to shape the cowel that mounts on the bow.

It does look better now - thanks for the nudge.

And also, congrats on your boat!

So I finally got to test my motor today! At first I was ticked cause I couldn't get the primer bulb to fill with gas. I chalked it up to both of the ones I had being too old and so I went to Wally world and dropped $50 on a new fuel line setup with the Johnson end.

At first it seemed like that one wasn't going to work too, but all of a sudden it started surging in! So I gave the rope a few pulls...nothing...gave it another one or two and she made a bang cough like she wanted to turn over...I gave it a sec cause it startled me a little ;) and on the next pull she fired up!

She stalled after about ten seconds so I pulled again and she was good after that.

This is a 9.5 Johnson from the early 70's and has sat for about three years. That is beautiful.

It did smoke like crazy though...I figured that was cause it had set so long + I was in a garage so the smoke was kind of lingering.

She shifted fine through the gears...and water seemed to be coming out the hole all right.

I did notice the area right above the cavitation plate felt fairly hot after I shut it down...is that normal for bucket testing or should I be concerned? I did check the impeller before starting and it seemed fine...and changed the lower unit oil...but that's about all I have done to it...

Thanks JD, I'm really looking forward to my "new to me" boat.

I'm in the same situation you are in that my engine is old (75) and it had sat for an unknown number of years. After cleaning the carb, fuel pump, new oil in the lower, new plugs, and putting it all back together, it fired up reasonably quick. To my surprise, the water pump was working perfectly as the tell tale hole was showing. For the little bit of cost to eliminate the risk of an old impeller failing and seizing the engine in the middle of a fishing trip, I bought a rebuild kit for my pump. I'd recommend you do the same. It's a small investment to protect your motor. As far as the lower unit getting hot, I'm not sure. If that engine has exhaust out the prop, and in that small amount of water, it may well get pretty warm. If you're uncomfortable with it, I'd probably try to trailer it down to a ramp where you can do a test run with it sitting on the trailer and see if it's hot when you pull it out.

Yeah I will pick up a rebuild kit in the next little bit...It looked and felt great for now...just an extra cost I don't want to get into yet with my budget.

Same as taking it to the lake to test. I have to buy my registration on the boat, plus a national parks pass to go get over to lake mead...still need my fishing license too and because it shares shores with Arizona I need tags for both states. :p

Oh well...it has to be done probably in the next two weeks.

Thanks for the comments guys! I agree It is time for a bigger test - she will see the lake soon.

Two things to update...this morning when I went to the garage there was something weird looking where the motor had dripped dry...I don't know if it is just oil residue from being run in a small tub of water or something I should actually be concerned about...

It's quite thick, gooey, and a pale greenish color...

The other picture shows the prop is quite greasy as well...

Check out the pics.

The other pic is an update on my kill switch situation. I didn't want to spend $20-50 on an factory replacement so I am jimmy riggin my own. Just bought a $3 momentary (normally open) push button, a washer to make sure it doesn't go through the larger factory hole, some wire and a couple connectors...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327881938.427604.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327881938.427604.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 490
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327882075.108739.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327882075.108739.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 490
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327882086.041389.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327882086.041389.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 490
The only potential problem I can see with using that switch is if it's not weatherproof. If you got caught out in the rain or water splashed up on it while you were out, you might find yourself stuck where you are until you could get it dried out or disconnected.

Hey! Thanks for the input.

I don't see the issue, though. Even if it did get damaged, which is unlikely because it is kind of recessed, it wouldn't have an adverse effect on the performance of the motor...it's a kill switch. Maybe you thought it was my starter?

Technically I don't need it, I can just pull the choke and flood the motor if I really needed to. That's how I have been shutting it off the past couple days.

Latest posts