If you live in Pa. Don't buy a trailer without a title

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in PA and it’s up the individual but, I’ve had little luck with the no title trailer situation.
I wouldn’t bother with another one.

Also, calling it homemade is a viable option but then you are the maker. Legally it’s another undesirable situation if it is part of a accident. Of course we may never encounter that towing to a local lake. But if someone is injured nobody is off the hook.

Now that Vermont stopped doing titles for other states (for missing titles), it’s just even more unlikely PA residents can do any of this in a timely legal fashion.

My two cents.
Good luck.

I have noticed more and more trailers at the dock are registered in Maine, here's why. Home - Maine Trailer Registrations
"Maine Trailer Registrations is a licensed Registration Agent for the State of Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles. We are able to register and title trailers for in and out-of-state individuals, as well as all size businesses from Maine to California – this means YOU!"

In Ohio we don't have titles for trailers(at least not for 16' and less). If you bought it new it will come with a COO, but still not get a title just plates and a registration. If you buy it used without a title you fill out an "Affidavit of ownership" and you get plates and a registration, still no title. I don't know about the homemade route as I've never done it. I have registered new trailers from Indiana and Ohio and used from Ohio/KY. No problems.

As far as registering old boats(without titles or modern ser. #'s) or any that doesn't have a title or registration, those have to be inspected at a Div. Of Watercraft office. They will make sure it's not stolen, issue a new Ohio hull ID #(you get an actual #plate that you have to attach to the boat) and a registration. We also don't title boats under 14' in Ohio.
I went thru all this with a jonboat and a 1959 Aerocraft FP12. Even though I had a KY title for the FP, Ohio said nope.

To that end, I understand states wanting to title and make sure the trailer/boat/motor... aren't stolen. But what happens when you're the rightful owner and you simply move to another state. Or you inherit a boat with no title. Are you just SOL in those states? Seems a pretty sh!tty stance from the state.

Jeff

Last edited:
I have noticed more and more trailers at the dock are registered in Maine, here's why. Home - Maine Trailer Registrations
"Maine Trailer Registrations is a licensed Registration Agent for the State of Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles. We are able to register and title trailers for in and out-of-state individuals, as well as all size businesses from Maine to California – this means YOU!"
Interesting. Any idea what this costs? Or how long it takes?

I had a similar frustration in Ontario Canada. I purchased a boat and trailer a couple years ago, no ownership paperwork for either. Small boats in Canada aren’t titled (unless commercial) just need to request a license number from the feds with signed bill of sale as proof of ownership; got that no problems.

Trailer, different story. First time I went to the local MTO office (DMV equivalent) I knew they wouldn’t give it to me but wanted to know what I needed. They found no record of this trailer in the system so the clerk said I just needed Bill of sale (check), signed affidavit stating I bought the trailer from its legal owner, and a weight.

Note that this trailer is a 1962 Ward’s Sea King which means it predates the modern VIN system and only has an 8-digit serial number on a nameplate riveted to the back (which a previous owner had painted over probably as part of registering it “home built” - more on that later)

So I return in a couple days. Different clerk. This one is very hesitant, doesn’t like the non-standard VIN so they make a few calls and tell me I need to have it inspected by a “trailer dealership” to look for evidence of any other VIN or other way to identify a former owner (?), and/or contact the manufacturer to find out who the original owner was. They tell me stolen trailers often have VIN tag removed and another (false) tag added, but “true” VIN may be engraved elsewhere.

Stolen, really? I bought a beat up old trailer for $100.

Fine. I sorta know a guy with a dealership, so I take it there, explain the situation. By this point I’d done some research, determined the age based on the serial number, determined that Wards stopped selling trailers in 1986 and went bankrupt in 2001 so any records of original owner are long gone.

So my dealer guy takes this info, does an “inspection” and writes me a letter confirming the info on the trailer is correct.

He also does me a solid and contacts another local MTO office where he knows someone, and discusses the situation with her to ensure his letter contains the needed info.

Then I show up to that MTO office, letter in hand (plus my affidavit) and get my papers and a license plate in about 10 minutes.

At several points along the way various people told me “just register it as home built” and no doubt that’s what previous owners did to avoid the hassle. Silly me trying to do this above board. What frustrated me the most was, first; that no other owner bothered to title it properly, second; that the first clerk made no reference to a need for an inspection, and third; the second clerk had no idea that VINs didn’t exist in their current format before 1980 and questioned the legality of my purchase. But if it’s truly so easy to register a “home built” trailer then wouldn’t I just go that route if it were stolen??

The moral of the story: buy a trailer with title, or make sure you know a guy who can smooth things over on your behalf.
The authorities make it such a pain. I have found different answers from clerk to clerk, but getting to one who works with you is essential. Getting it done prevents the buyer from dealing with that pain. I hate the taxes we pay here in Washington to do it, but it beats having the ownership questioned.

I live in PA and it’s up the individual but, I’ve had little luck with the no title trailer situation.
I wouldn’t bother with another one.

Also, calling it homemade is a viable option but then you are the maker. Legally it’s another undesirable situation if it is part of a accident. Of course we may never encounter that towing to a local lake. But if someone is injured nobody is off the hook.

Now that Vermont stopped doing titles for other states (for missing titles), it’s just even more unlikely PA residents can do any of this in a timely legal fashion.

My two cents.
Good luck.
I did a private purchase in s/w PA & just to make sure I got home with no tickets I did the transfer of ownership of boat & trailer & got a temp plate/REG. Hmm thought would be a bit less since only lasting I think it was 60 days 90 days somethin like that a "throw away plate". when all said and done, I think my Wallett was like $80.00 plus shy. then I had to do the tax. in NY , in PA/ kinda funny was hunting season plenty of folks out but didn't see one officer!a smooth ride home and a nice boat too !

I live in PA. I bought a crappy old trailer with no title for $75 in Feb 2020. I found it on Offerup. This is right before COVID broke out and prices for everything went up. My 13 year old son and I stripped it down to the frame and replaced everything except the axle and hubs. We spent $410.56 on parts (see below) plus $132.50 on PA registration and title. I paid $20 to get it photographed/inspected. No charge to get it weighed. We could have purchased a decent 2nd hand galvanized trailer with title for less than what I have invested in this. But, it is like new and I keep it in the garage. I have great photos of my son working on it.

CostTaxTotal
18-Feb-20Trailer$ 75.00$ -$ 75.00
4-Mar-204 lug 8" Tires56.993.4260.41Amazon
7-Mar-20Bearing Grease4.980.305.28Amazon
7-Mar-20Winch Hand Crank19.991.2021.19Amazon
8-Mar-20Rustoleum Marine Paint12.140.7312.87Amazon
8-Mar-20Rustoleum Metal Primer9.980.6010.58Amazon
8-Mar-20Submersible LED Light Kit23.751.4325.18Amazon
9-Mar-20Plastic Fenders30.701.8432.54Amazon
14-May-20Light boxes21.981.3223.30EBAY
6-Mar-21Safety Chain7.000.427.42Harbor Freight
15-Mar-21Bunk Brackets41.992.5244.51Amazon
15-Mar-21Stainless Staples13.470.8114.28Home Depot
16-Mar-21Galvanized Fender Brackets21.681.3022.98Home Depot
16-Mar-21Galvanized Bolts3.920.244.16Home Depot
19-Mar-212 x 4 Bunk Boards20.971.2622.23Home Depot
19-Mar-21Galvanized Bolts2.020.122.14Home Depot
26-Mar-21Heat Shrink tube1.980.122.10Home Depot
29-Mar-21Bunk Carpet5.990.366.35Home Depot
29-Mar-21Galvanized Bolts4.080.244.32Home Depot
7-Apr-21Galvanized Bolts12.960.7713.73Home Depot
$ 391.57$ 18.99$ 410.56

Bought a trailer in NJ and brought it home to PA. Had a bill of sale from the previous owner. Depending on the DMV you go to they will do a inspection for a builders VIN plate. I spray painted my new to me trailer up a bit. Put on new lights and chains. So I took the trailer to a DMV that does inspections. She came out and looked, wrote some stuff on her clip board. We walked in and she says that`ll be 175.00 and your VIN plate will be sent via USPS. 2 to 3 weeks later my VIN plate came and I pop riveted it to the trailer. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.