Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboys518

Reaction score
I recently bought a 14 ft jon boat , I live in pa and the notary requires both party’s to be present to transfer title , the seller gave me the title and tag for trailer and title but never signed them at a notary , I can’t get ahold of the guy now , so idk if anyone has any idea what to do, thanks.

Should have checked that before leaving. Each state has different requirements, best to discuss this issue with the title bureau..
Yeah I kinda learned that the hard way , first time buying anything with a title honestly lol so had no idea about it , and I asked the guy multiple times , he just said I’m ok and if need be sign his name , I honestly would but it has to be notarized

I recently bought a 14 ft jon boat , I live in pa and the notary requires both party’s to be present to transfer title , the seller gave me the title and tag for trailer and title but never signed them at a notary , I can’t get ahold of the guy now , so idk if anyone has any idea what to do, thanks.
Step one......the obvious one is to keep trying to reach the seller. Step 2 is do you know anyone (family, close friend) in another state? Perhaps you could title it there and then..........eventually transfer it to Pa. Complicated a little but it works.

Did you meet the guy at his house? Or in a parking lot somewhere? If at his house go there in person. If at a lot somewhere then I'd make application for registration via the Abandoned boat law...
https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/058/chapter93/s93.17.html
Met in a public spot , I do have his address but he’s 3 hours away and honestly I’m not gonna just show up , thanks for the info might just follow the abandon boat law , might just file it now or give him another week to respond

To transfer a boat title in Pennsylvania, you need to1234:
  1. Bring the title and registration of the boat. If it was never titled, you must bring a seller’s registration card, or a seller’s official affidavit of ownership issued by their State Jurisdiction.
  2. Bring your PA driver’s license or PA ID card.
  3. Bring a Bill of Sale (notarized if there is no title present).
  4. Fill out an Application for Pennsylvania Boat Registration and/or Boat Title (Form REV-336).
  5. Pay all registration fees, a schedule for which is included on Page 2 of Form REV-336.

Yeah I kinda learned that the hard way , first time buying anything with a title honestly lol so had no idea about it , and I asked the guy multiple times , he just said I’m ok and if need be sign his name , I honestly would but it has to be notarized

Oh boy. Are you sure it is his name on the title & registration?

To transfer a boat title in Pennsylvania, you need to1234:
  1. Bring the title and registration of the boat. If it was never titled, you must bring a seller’s registration card, or a seller’s official affidavit of ownership issued by their State Jurisdiction.
  2. Bring your PA driver’s license or PA ID card.
  3. Bring a Bill of Sale (notarized if there is no title present).
  4. Fill out an Application for Pennsylvania Boat Registration and/or Boat Title (Form REV-336).
  5. Pay all registration fees, a schedule for which is included on Page 2 of Form REV-336.
Yes the problem is getting the owner that’s currently on the title to sign it at a notary

Oh boy. Are you sure it is his name on the title & registration?
Yes pretty positive , Facebook name is the same , looked him up found his address name matches all my researches on the guy , 99% sure name on title matches his legal name … don’t really feel compfortable showing up to his address , 3 hours away and not really the best area

Yes pretty positive , Facebook name is the same , looked him up found his address name matches all my researches on the guy , 99% sure name on title matches his legal name … don’t really feel compfortable showing up to his address , 3 hours away and not really the best area

Send by certified mail a short letter explaining your dilemma and ask him to give you a call.

Usually there is a form from the state that you fill out, requesting him to release title to the boat, and you must send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

Call the state and tell them what happened, and let them direct you. That is the easiest way, by far, if you want to resolve this, and he refuses to respond. Ask them in a friendly way, and they will probably make it easy on you.

I recently bought boat in PA and we went to insurance broker who is also notary, they are all over PA. If you can't get in touch with the person you can always register in New Hampshire, as long as you confirm you will use in NH more than 50% (wink, wink), you won't pay sales tax either! But they don't issue titles, which is needed when selling boat to get top dollar. So best bet is try to reach seller and maybe mail him the docs if he agrees. Good luck!

I recently bought boat in PA and we went to insurance broker who is also notary, they are all over PA. If you can't get in touch with the person you can always register in New Hampshire, as long as you confirm you will use in NH more than 50% (wink, wink), you won't pay sales tax either! But they don't issue titles, which is needed when selling boat to get top dollar. So best bet is try to reach seller and maybe mail him the docs if he agrees. Good luck!
Did the insurance broker require the seller be present ?

This just reminded me... I had a title issue, and ended up registering the boat in NC to resolve it. I happen to fish in NC, so it's okay. Most states will accept a title from another state, but not sure if your title states that it MUST be notarized right on the title.

Again, I would call your state and explain the issue and see what they say. I'm sure this is a common occurrence. There is probably just a waiting period and then you will get your title.

A "friendly" notary could fix this for you immediately. Back when titles were requited to be notarized in my state I always kept track of the notaries in town. Have to say though, you almost have to be friends, or friend of a friend with a notary to make this happen.

FINALY got ahold of him through his wife , who thankfully speaks English suppost to meet up with him Thursday , thanks everyone for the help , lesson learned for sure

Latest posts