Johnson 6 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
So finally getting around to reviving a little OMC I've had in the shed for a year. So far all I know is it has no spark on either cylinder. Motor has no kill switch, so guess it's time to pull the flywheel. With no top mounted pull start, there doesn't seem to be any threaded holes. So am I stuck with the hammer/pry bar method of removal? There are 4 blind holes that aren't threaded. Tempted to run a tap into a couple so have something to bolt the flywheel puller to. Anybody got any better ideas?

Probably could, is that OK to do though? I'd hate to mess it up.

Attachments

• Johnson 6 09.jpg
    Johnson 6 09.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnson 6 15.jpg
    Johnson 6 15.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
I would think it to be OK as long as you don't damage any of the teeth. Or if pulling from top don't damage the rope groove.

From your pics, it looks like there is a nut that holds the fly wheel. Removing that will possibly reveal the threaded holes for the fly wheel remover. I have some old OMC manuals. If you can tell me the year of motor or the Model number I may be able to figure that out and offer further assistance.

I would think it to be OK as long as you don't damage any of the teeth. Or if pulling from top don't damage the rope groove.
Here is what your dealing with... https://www.ebay.com/itm/233645932526
and I know.. cuz this is MY listing..
a large ice cube made in a dixie cup sat on the nut for 1/2 hr b4 I used the impact wrench... have fun...
they are GREAT little engines...I have had a few..

From your pics, it looks like there is a nut that holds the fly wheel. Removing that will possibly reveal the threaded holes for the fly wheel remover. I have some old OMC manuals. If you can tell me the year of motor or the Model number I may be able to figure that out and offer further assistance.

Attachments

• Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks gentlemen. Never would have expected to find threaded holes under the center bolt. It does seem like a nice little motor. So simple it's almost amazing. Compression is pretty good too, 80/80.

Latest posts