left or right hand retrieve

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbass

Reaction score
How many use the left hand retrieve models? I can't seem to get used to right hand and actually its not the reeling but the hook set or rod action with the left hand. marshbass

Hi Marshbass,
Im the exact opposite LOL! I tried lefty, but it's just too weird for me. Im a righty with everything except hockey......go figure.

I am a little off... I am right handed but all my spinning reels are set up lefty and my bait casters are set up righty.

Left hand.

That's what I always retrieved with using spinning reels. When I started using baitcasters it seemed absolutely ridiculous to use the other hand so I didn't. And am glad I didn't.

And yes, I'm right handed.

Left hand retrieve all the way!! I just wish they made throw away lefty baitcasters more available in baitshops, wal-marts or any other store that sells fishing supplies. It seams the only left handed reels these stores carry is 100+ dollar reels, yet they will have tons of throw away righty reels....go figure

I am right handed, but I was raised on spinning reels, and the classic way for those to be used is left hand retrieve. When I started buying casting rods, I didn't want to have to change all that, so I only have lefty casting reels now. Last friday, we went out for about 30 minutes, before a lightening storm popped out of nowhere, and I had forgotten my casting reel, and we had a spare spincast reel in the truck, so I put it on my casting rod, and felt so weird having the right hand retrieve. I don't know if I will ever be able to go to a righty reel.

I run left hand retrieve on all my reels:
spinning
b-cast
fly

I'm a righty.

spinning: righty (the reel handle is on the left-hand side)
baitcast: righty (where the handle is on the right) but I made a HUGE mistake. From now on, it is going to be left-hand retrieves. So much easier not to move my hands after the lure lands in the water. I could potentially lose a fish that way too if it strikes the moment it hits the water (which has happened a lot on my spinning rigs).