Little Texas Modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauldanielm

Reaction score
This is my 14' MirroCraft that I got from my dad who lives in Texas. :p He has had if for years and decided to give it to me this past December for Christmas and I have been waiting for it to get here since I live in Virginia now. :( Finally got it over the summer and me and the wifey fished out of it just like it is for about 3 or 4 months. I decided that I didn't like how we had to have everything either on the seats or out on the floor. I decided to Mod it up to my liking. My wife is actually going to help me with this its going to be a group project so I hope she doesn't quit on me when we first start. All input is welcome with this mod. Please post lots of things about it. I had more pics of it before I started but an update on my iphone made my iphone go back to its original setting so lost it all. UGHHHH :fishing2:

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 4,159
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,159
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,159
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,159
So here are my thoughts.

1) Make storage for all of the fishing gear that I have.
2) Build a deck so that the bottom of the boat is flat. (very nervous about this because I have never built anything in my life)
3) Wanting to put up lights in the inside so that I can see when we go fishing at night.
4) Want to paint it and make it look new.

I want to keep it simple to make it easy for me to do and I am on a tight budget

Welcome, You will have all the help you need right here on this site. There are many mods to look at to get some ideas. Ask lots of questions and you will learn how to make the boat the way you want it.

P.S. there is a secret mirrorcraft club here on this site.......Good luck.

I look forward to the build. I noticed that your wife had a SFA shirt on, did yall go to school there? I gaduated in '98 from there. Good Luck on the build.

My wife went there for about 2 years. We were dating during that time. Then we got married and she came to Virginia with me. Miss Texas

Well I was supposed to start this weekend but due to rainy conditions not going to happen. Very disappointing. Well Maybe it will quit raining today a little later to get a little work done on it. Hopefully. :oops: :(

Welcome to the site and congrats on the boat!

I can't be sure, but those look like pressure treated 2X4s in the picture. Don't use those if they are. Short story is that type of wood will ruin your boat as it causes the aluminum to pit.

If you are going to paint, I would do that first since you have a blank slate. The boat will be light and easy to maneuver around. You can always touch up where you had to drill and rivet any mods.

If you're going to use wood - remember that it adds weight and treat it with minimum 3 coats of spar urethane. Use exterior grade plywood or marine wood if you can afford it.

Aluminum is more expensive, but it is also faster to work with as you don't have to seal it. It will also last forever. It's lighter obviously too.

Remember to add foam for floatation in case you get swamped (it's also a requirement legally I believe).

Have fun and take your time and you will be happy with the results!

The wood I got was from Lowe's 2 x 10 x 14 #2 Prime Treated Lumber is that the pressure treated wood you are talking about? I read about that on other post around but when I went to Lowe's it never said pressure treated. :shock:

Primed wood and pressure treated wood are different. If it is primed wood I would think that it would be ok. Primed wood is paint ready and should not be pressure treated. I am not even sure if there is such a thing as primed pressure treated wood.

pauldanielm said:
The wood I got was from Lowe's 2 x 10 x 14 #2 Prime Treated Lumber is that the pressure treated wood you are talking about? I read about that on other post around but when I went to Lowe's it never said pressure treated. :shock:

Judging from the wording "Lowe's 2 x 10 x 14 #2 Prime Treated Lumber " I would assume that it is grade #2 prime, pressure treated lumber. See this link: https://www.lowes.com/pd_201525-432...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Ringo Steele said:
pauldanielm said:

Judging from the wording "Lowe's 2 x 10 x 14 #2 Prime Treated Lumber " I would assume that it is grade #2 prime, pressure treated lumber. See this link: https://www.lowes.com/pd_201525-432...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

+1 Ringo you just beat me to it

2 x 4 x 8 #2 Prime Treated Lumber

•For use in above ground contact
•Used in residential, commercial and industrial applications
•Easily painted or stained
•High-quality oil- and latex-based paints/stains are recommended
•Hot-dipped galvanized or stainless-steel fasteners and fittings are acceptable for use with Alkaline Copper Quaternary (ACQ) treated wood •Standardized by the American Wood Protection Association
•Top choice #2 prime lumber has virtually no wane, which provides a very high appearance

Thanks everyone for the info :!: :!: I thought I didn't see it but there it is black and white.. ](*,) :oops: . Guess tomorrow I will go and return the wood for the Top Choice 2 x 4 x 10 Whitewood S4S Dimensional Lumber which is actually cheaper than the one I got. Again thanks that would have came out bad later on down the road.

FINALLY!!!! After going back to Lowes and deciding to hold off on the wood for now and to paint the boat first. I am painting it in two colors. Top half is a meatallic blue and the bottom is going to be black. I have pics for the top right now but have not had time to post them yet. We are painting the bottom this weekend. I have a question If I use a truck bed liner for the bottom do yall see any problems with that? I want it to deaded the sound on the bottom. I know that is what the foam is for but i want to deaded it even more.

Well here are the pics I promised. Going to paint the bottom half this weekend!!! Cant wait.

Attachments

• IMG_0052 (2).jpg
    IMG_0052 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,274
  • IMG_0050 (2).jpg
    IMG_0050 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,274
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,274
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,274
Well Hurricane Sandy is really messing things up for me this weekend. Probably wont be able to paint the bottom again this weekend. If its not school its the weather. We shall see though.

I found some pics of my boat before we started this project. Here they are.... Does anyone know where I can find the Sea Bird Logo for my trailer?

Attachments

• boat1.JPG
    boat1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,231
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 1,231
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 1,231
If you haven't done so yet, make sure there are no leaks before adding any type of bedliner to the floor. I used something similar, and yes.... it does help with sound deadening. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Latest posts