New Aluminum Floor in 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as cutting the aluminum goes you can use a jig saw with a metal blade on the sheet, it will work just fine. No need to custom order any material sizes...that will bring your total up. The only tools I used for cutting are a jig saw, sawzall, cordless drill for the corners of the cuts, and a grinder w/ cut off wheels.

Well the only updates I have done to the boat was putting a new go-devil surface drive engine on the back of it.(I will try to get pics up)

countryboy120406 said:
what'd you use for a filler in between the ribs? i really wanna do this to my 1650 but my rib width is 49" in the back wider than a sheet. so im kinda stuck on mine.

Can you tell us how you did the between the ribs work? This is a really nice job, even more so because you did such a good job between the ribs. I hate having crap get caught in the gaps between the floor and ribs and you solved it. Will you put something over the alum floor or just paint it? Some here prefer metal or liner floors but I like to fish bare-footed when I can and like carpet for that reason. I'm sure carpet glue would do for that part of the job.

I covered the gap between the edge of the sheet and the side of the boat with 1 1/2"x1/8" aluminum. Cut each one to fit and riveted them in. If your gap is wider just use wider flat stock. This part takes some time, a lot of cutting and measuring of small parts, but it really makes the floor look finished. As far as any floor covering I'm just going to leave it painted and call it good.

Here are the pics of the new motor and pics of the fill in piece that goes between the sheet edge and the edge of the boat.

Attachments

• 100_0182.jpg
    100_0182.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,229
  • 100_0184.jpg
    100_0184.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,229
Looks really good Tdub. I just cannot get past the cold aluminum floor, too much time barefoot in a tin canoe I guess. I will probably go with varnished plywood and vinyl carpet in my 18X60 Duracraft. One of your threads from Teammuir I think, showed a little of a really neat console. I would like to see more photos of that. Thanks.

Well I can't say the floor is cold, due to the fact there is a layer of insulation between the bottom of the boat and the new floor (see pics page 1). Plus the o.d. green paint in direct sunlight will offset any chilly feet.

I did this same thing!! I used an old aluminum road sign that I bought at the local metal yard.

SU1HMDAxNjEuanBn.jpg

We then proceeded to cut it to size and used the trimmings to extend it because my open floor plan was a little longer than the sign:

boat011.jpg

boat010.jpg

pics016-1.jpg

looks like we had the same idea for supporting the middle of the supports:

SU1HMDAwMTUuanBn.jpg

I went a slight different route than you in finishing the aluminum. I carpeted mine. It really cuts down on the noise in the boat and feels good one bare feet ;)

391996674.jpg

392441681.jpg

i think the aluminum is a WAY better way to go than wood flooring!

I like them floor thats ben put in those boats.I has ben wondering what them old road sign weigh?I use alimimum in me boat but it was not thick like road sign but very lite in weight.Thick road sign be tuffer but me thinner alimimum is holding up good.I have son thats putting floor in on old 1442Fisher marine but is needing alimimum,i tell him about road sign.Maybe you tell the weight of road signs please?

jcb said:
I like them floor thats ben put in those boats.I has ben wondering what them old road sign weigh?I use alimimum in me boat but it was not thick like road sign but very lite in weight.Thick road sign be tuffer but me thinner alimimum is holding up good.I have son thats putting floor in on old 1442Fisher marine but is needing alimimum,i tell him about road sign.Maybe you tell the weight of road signs please?

i think mine was 55 lbs

tdub said:
Hey guys
I paid $120 for a 4x8x1/8 sheet of aluminum and $42 for the 2x1x1/8 aluminum "C" channel(16'). This was alot cheaper than I thought it would be.

That is an awesome price.. I found Aluminum Architectural Channel 2"x1"x1/8" for 63.97$ for 16', so if I need 32' that is 127.94$..ughh

Flooring is about 206$ too

Good news, found a local place that will sell it to me for about 125$ for the 4x8 sheet.

Tdub can you please confirm that you were using astm alum arch channel?

dixie_boysles said:
I did this same thing!! I used an old aluminum road sign that I bought at the local metal yard.

SU1HMDAxNjEuanBn.jpg

We then proceeded to cut it to size and used the trimmings to extend it because my open floor plan was a little longer than the sign:

boat011.jpg

boat010.jpg

pics016-1.jpg

looks like we had the same idea for supporting the middle of the supports:

SU1HMDAwMTUuanBn.jpg

I went a slight different route than you in finishing the aluminum. I carpeted mine. It really cuts down on the noise in the boat and feels good one bare feet ;)

391996674.jpg

392441681.jpg

i think the aluminum is a WAY better way to go than wood flooring!

Did you put any type of blocking/backing below the base of your pedastal seat?