new boat project with pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend has a 1997 Lexus LX450, which is very similar to those Land Cruisers. They are built like tanks! Not many factory vehicles came with beefy solid axles front and rear, e-lockers front and rear, and a very reliable and torque-y motor! His is lifted 5", has the stock 4.5 inline 6 gas burner, and rides on 37" military takeoff tires. He also had a custom rear bumper made (incredibly beefy) and is working on a crazy skid plate for the underside. He beats the snot out of that thing offroad on the weekends and then drives it to work everyday during the week. They are just very good vehicles that are built to last....Kinda like the way your boat is shaping out to be.

Yeah, I wont have anything but a landcruiser. Here is a pic of the finished product.

I got the trailer half welded out with the tilt mechanism built, a few more gussets and things then its all for the rollers, which is going to take more time to build than the frame. All the roller brackets, axles and placement has to be right.

Here are some pics. I have built this is exactly off the 3d plan that I posted about. So far everything is perfect.

0048.jpg
0039.jpg
0040.jpg
0041.jpg
0042.jpg

Update, got more of the trailer welded out, started messing with the rollers. Got a couple mounted, and got the axle and wheels test fitted. Once 2 more keel rollers are on I need to put the boat on the trailer to work out the wobble roller positions.
0043.jpg
0044.jpg
0045.jpg

Got the boat on the trailer easily. Now try and dodge the rain while fabricating the rest of the roller mounts.
0048.jpg
0049.jpg

Hey man I’ve been checking out your build, very cool mate.

That hull looks like it’s bulletproof. Lots of freeboard and it looks pretty wide as well. Looks like it could handle some nasty water. Keep up the good work…………………………………………….. =D>

Is this it. No more pictures? I'm sure we'd all like to see the finished product. I've really enjoyed watching the boat develop and I hope to see it upon completion.

dodge2013 said:
Is this it. No more pictures? I'm sure we'd all like to see the finished product. I've really enjoyed watching the boat develop and I hope to see it upon completion.
There is plenty more to come, its only been a few days since the last update.

In the mean time between rain, Ive got all the roller brackets made and finished the design on the rooftop camper rack. Tomorrow Ill fit all the wobble rollers.

Stay tuned...
trailer plans.jpg

What a Crafty Idea you have going there. :D
I can see where that would be handy for some guys camping out in Bear Country.

So many times, we'd wanted a 'more sturdy' place to sleep in, and keep our food inside while we were away hunting or placer mining.

Update... Got the wobble roller brackets finished and welded out as well as all the keel rollers in position and welded. Once I get the latch for the tilt mech made, the draw bar stiffeners, jockey wheel etc and some tie down rails it will be ready for paint.
0050.jpg
0051.jpg

bit of an update, Ive been flat out doing a turbo install on the landcruiser but now that's done, Ive managed to get the trailer painted and assembled. Ive had to skip the camper at the moment due to lack of funds. Just need to get this on the road so I can get away and go fishing. The guards are a little different from the plans, all that's left is the wiring and lights plus a transom saver at the back for the motor. Its been a bit hard to get much done. It was 47 deg C here yesterday.
0053.jpg

47 C...holy pie....-11 C here today,I think we should split the difference.

Finally got the boat on the trailer, just need a few minor jobs done, like the trailer plug for the lights. Also got most of the carpeting finished, tho I had to work inside in the air con as once again it was close to 45 deg.
0054.jpg
0055.jpg
0056.jpg
0057.jpg
0058.jpg
0059.jpg

I noticed something about your trailer. Your rear hanger looks too far back. The shackle should be slightly rearward at the bottom. The spring eye bolt should be behind the shackle mount bolt. With the shackle slightly forward the spring can push upward and hit the frame.
I'm certainly not trying to be a know it all, but rather trying to be helpful.

I don't have my book, but I can look up the correct measurement if needed.

BTW you have done some solid work and it looks like you are well on your way to a great boat.