new boat project with pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply.

I assume your talking about the rear shackle angle? In the earlier pics it was at full extension with no load. Now that it has the boat on it sitting on the ground the shackle is verticle. I didn't look up any dimensions when doing the fab. As I understand the rear shackle cannot travel upwards, ever. The front is an eye so as the spring compresses the shackle will go backwards as the springs straightens out. I like to see the shackle as close to verticle as possible when in the rest position. You could be right, but I don't think it will make one bit of difference. Check the attached pic as to how it sits now the boats on it. Remember too that the boat is practically empty and will have more weight once all the parts are in including fuel tanks etc.

Thanks.
0060.jpg

Finally got the carpeting done. I dropped all the parts into place ready to be fixed into place. I think it looks great, cant wait to finish it off.
0061.jpg
0062.jpg
0063.jpg
0064.jpg

gysu8y9u.jpg

What a great looking boat! One of the best jobs I have seen on here. Railing is really sweet, did you ever mention the manufacturer of the hull?

Hi thanks for the reply. Its made by DeHavilland here in Australia in about 1972. They were a aircraft manufacturer that also made boats from the 50's till the early 80's when they were bought out by Boeing Australia I think. What ever grade ally they used is by far the best Ive seen. No corrosion or pitting anywhere, just amazing.

This will look even better when the seats and electronics are in. It would have been a nice fun project except its the middle of summer here and we just had a week of 42-47deg C and no shed or workshop for shade. Its nice to know that I designed and built everything myself and it turned out exactly the same as the original plans showed.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338077#p338077 said:
huntinfool » 07 Jan 2014, 06:22[/url]"]https://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/07/gysu8y9u.jpg
The link doesn't seem to work.

I did a little google search of De Haviland boats, found a few. They all seem to be in Aus, too bad none have migrated over here. What did you do about the floatation foam, did you use pool noodles? If so did you take any pics?

Im off in the morning for a nice 1200k drive. First test for the new wagon and trailer. Ill finish the boat once im there in the next few weeks.
0065.jpg

update, I have got the console almost finished, it turned out pretty good. Ive made it a bit lower than the original plans to make it easier to put a boat cover over the top. Its going to have a flat top which will be carpeted so the boat cover wont get torn. Ive got most of the electronics in, still need to do a bit more wiring. Ive also sourced the flotation and seat mounts which will be purchased when I get some coin. More updates soon.
0067.jpg
0066.jpg
0068.jpg

Your console looks great! How is the steering cable routed? Looks like its going down and under the floor. I am adding a CC to my build and thinking I will be routing my cable in a similar way, just wondering how hard a time you had doing it.

Thanks

Hi, the steering cable goes through the gunwale? to the motor as shown in this pic. It was a tight fit but I got the cable the exact length which is hard to guess without the console already built. Its a Teleflex quick connect system.
0069.jpg

Update, I got more of the console done, all that's left is to mount the solar panel on the front and the gps mount. Its not the nicest looking console around but it does the job. Most importantly it was cheap to build compared to buying one anyway. There's also lots of places to mount extra stuff like drink holders etc.

0070.jpg
0071.jpg
0072.jpg
0073.jpg

Ditto, I think it turned out well. You might want to scuff the polish off as I think it's gonna glare a good bit.

Update, I have finally got all the bits to finish the job. Just in time for a 7 day holiday where it will be thoroughly tested.

So I have 50 polyethelene pool noodles to go under the floor, all the seat mounts and boat cover to go on and the remote bracket kit for the motor, which must be made from solid gold as it cost over $300 for a few little bits and pieces.

When it stops raining I will be getting it all finished up. Stay tuned.

I have finished the build now, I have all the electrics working and have 3 fuel tanks and a backup 8hp Suzuki all installed. Here are some recent pics.

Attachments

• 0074.jpg
    0074.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 606
  • 0075.jpg
    0075.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 606
  • 0076.jpg
    0076.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 606