new old princecraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewinder

Reaction score
Hi there, newby here, but been lurking a bit.

I just picked up this 16' princecraft, on a nearly new trailer, and a old 74 9.9 Evvy.

the motor may be beyond help, no spark, but decent compression I think ( will put a comp tester on it when i drag it home). I felt the boat/trailer was worth the price.

Wanted something hi sided for the coastal bays in NH, for low money., as pictured, was $795.00

So the hull looks better than the pictures show, no dents, corrosion, and the floor paint is barely worn off

But the ply seats are history, which leads me to ask is reg outdoor ply from Lowes ok for replacing the seat tops? Also the transom ply seems solid to a screwdriver punching on it, tho it needs a good scraping and sealing. Looks like replacing the transom would be not to bad a chore.

If any of you referb types care to look over the pictures and suggest things to do to make her prettier and better, please reply. I've read a lot of post here thd there seems to be a lot of expertise in keeping these old girls on the water.

thanks for looking

paul

Attachments

• boat 001-001.jpg
    boat 001-001.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,483
  • boat 003-008.jpg
    boat 003-008.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,483
  • boat 005-006.jpg
    boat 005-006.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,483
  • boat 006-007.jpg
    boat 006-007.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,483
  • boat 009-002.jpg
    boat 009-002.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,483
If it were mine I would remove all the wood , seats and transome and put in new. When all the seats and such are out, shine the bottom and give it all a nice new paint job. If you don't do it now it all have to be done later. Try to remove the transome in one peice or cut come cardboard and make a templete for the new one. You can use the plywood from the Borg stores. Glue 2 sheets of 3/4" together ans seal all edges and sides, paint and install. Points and condenser or coils may be bad in the motor, not hard to change.

Looks like a real nice boat for the money. I agree, take everything out that will come out and give it a real good cleaning - inside and out. Then sit in the boat for hours and hours thinking and sketching how you want it to look ..... thats what I do :lol:

thanks for the comments, I think the transom will come out in one piece, agree, I'll do the transom too.

Having to wait till Wed to drag it home and get my grubby hands on it!

got a lead on a 15hp motor, 12 y/o with about only 50 hrs on it, for real short money. 12y/o is better than 37 years old! will find out 2nite

I picked up the 15hp merc today, it's a 2001 2cy with around 50 hours on it. It's a long shaft, so I'm going to have to raise the transom. If you look at the pic of the stern and imagine a straight line from the corners, that would raise the transom 4 1/2 inches. So as I'm going to replace the transom anyhow, I will make the wood even with that line. And then wrap the top edge with two pieces of aluminum with overlapping L bends at the top edge. Also I'll put aluminum angle iron vertical pieces, just inside the transom to floor brackets, running to near the top of the transom, and another angle iron right on the other side. Bolting them to each other, one set inside and one set outside.

Does that make any sense??? It does to me, I can see it in my mind. haha

I'll be picking the boat up tomorrow, and will post pics of the boat later when I remove the seat tops, and transom.

Any other suggestions on my plan to raise the transom would be welcomed. There are a lot of talented tin boat modders here, and i learn something every time I get lost in all the different topics here.

Some progress

got the seats and transom fitted, going to coat them w/epoxy resin and then install. I ripped the steering station out and will replace th ply front and rear sides. Will leave it off till I get some Merc controls and maybe an electric start kit, it it is hard to start (my old arms would appreciate a starter lol)

here's a pfd (at the botom of thepage) with some more pics, and a picture of bow art on a PT boat I'm going to steal.

happy Easter

Hope to get it wet in a few weeks

Attachments

• rebuild.pdf
    525.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Day_57_-_PT_Boat_Bow.jpg
    Day_57_-_PT_Boat_Bow.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,278

Latest posts