New project and a pick of the last one

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassun

Reaction score
Well I happily found this site last year and went out and purchased my 1st fishing boat. It was a 14' shallow sylvan bare bones. I put floor in and a few storage compartments. It made it through the year and was good to us and spent the winter in our garage. I went out yesterday and got a great deal on a 15' Crestliner with all the storage that i had wanted. It will need to be re carpeted, I'll add in some more storage, seats, ect.. The only issue is that my motor is a short shaft so for the time being i will make a jack plate to get the motor low enough. And next year pick up a 25 long shaft.

Here are some picks,
Kassun

Attachments

• new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 999
  • new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 999
  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 999
I traded my old boat in and paid difference (boat was priced at 1500. I got a pretty good deal, because the 16' lund they had reserved for me was sold out from under my salesman. My boat came with a Minkota 42lb thrust bow mounted motor, but it doesn't have a petal to operate it, so I'm not sure if it works or not. It didn't come with an out board. But I have a short 5 1/2 Johnson and a 9 short Evenrude that will get me around for the time being. Of course the transom needs a long shaft so instead of cutting it down I went out and bought a jack plate so I can lower the shorty down in the water lower. I will look later this fall or next spring for a long shaft 25 or 30. Oh and it also came with wave wackers installed on the back :). It also came with a live well, running lights, bilge pump and electric boat anchor. I will probably update the switches as well.

I'll take some picks once i get the jack plate installed this evening. I already installed my Eagle depthfinder and plan or rewiring the boat to better suit my needs.

Thanks for the feed back guys,
Kassun

My neighbor's friend gave me a 1964 Evinrude 9.5. It had sat for roughly 10 years in his garage under a tarp, but to my surprise it fired and purred on the 3rd pull. It is a short shaft and my boat takes a long shaft, so I searched at my local dealers, however no one had a stationary mount, all expensive hydraulics's. And to buy one would set me back $100.00 or more and I would have to wait till next week to get one in. So I searched and found a site online where a guy made his own out of angle iron. I picked up some iron at the local menards store yesterday and worked well into the morning. I think I finished around 12:30 am with my wife. God bless her patience:). Plus she really wants to take it out today. The only mistake I made that is not very user friendly is that there is barely enough room to tighten down the motor mounts to the mounting plate. It was very tight & interesting tightening it down at midnight. I should have made it wide enough to allow the fasteners to fully rotate. :) Lesson learned. I'll take some shots this evening to show how it turned out.

-Kassun

Sounds like that mount should be great. I have a question did you use iron or steel and mount it directly to the aluminum? Or did you use aluminum angle or at least buffer the direct contact from dissimilar metals? They reason I ask is if you bolted the two metals directly together, the aluminum will corrode. Hope it works well!

Will get some pics tomorrow, my wife and I spent all evening on the new boat. My wife had put in the drain plug, but didn't expand it all the way. So after I parked the trailer I walked down only to discover that there was water pouring out from the plug. Ran up put the boat back on the trailer and pulled her out. Re installed the plug and all was good. I will be moving the motor up a few inches because the back of the boat sits very low in the water. She wasn't fast but the short shaft definatly did a good job getting us out and back in.

-Kassun

here are those pics of the extended transform. We also added solar rope lights to both sides of the interior.

-kassun

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 781
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 781
Going after work tonight to check out a 25hp Evenrude Long shaft. Hopefully if everything goes well I'll be testing her out tomorrow out on the water in my boat. It should be a a bit of a step up from my 9.9 short shaft that's on there now, and i can take off my homemade transom extension. I'll leave the mounts in place so if the 25 goes down I'll have a backup to use while the other is being fixed.

-Kassun

Well I picked up the 25 hp Johnson after a good look over and running. The wife was pleased and said we had to take it out right away. So I bolted her on and off we went. The motor ran flawlessly and the boat just flew on the water. I'll take some pics of the solar lights if I get some time tomorrow.

-Kassun

Latest posts