Official 2011 Garden Thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BYOB Fishing said:
We planted hot peppers, big jim peppers, and bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, beans, peas, potatoes, corn and cucumbers. We've also got water melon taking over where we dug up the potatoes. So far everything is really doing pretty good. This is the first year my corn has not blow flat to the ground before it has a chance to ear out, so I'm hoping the corn plants won't be waisting their energy trying to stand back up straight and put that energy into making good corn.

Does anyone else use the fabric weed barrier between your rows? We have put it down the last two years, and it really does a good job for us. It makes the whole experience much easier when you don't have to pull weeds all of the time. It costs about $30 for enough to cover the garden, but once it's down, it's really handy.

We use it when planting tree belts, We have not used it for garden. We feel the black fabric not only prevent weed growth, it helps hold moisture & heat which makes plants grow faster, also helps control errosion. We have attachment for back of tractor that digs a furro at edges, fabric rolls off, then disc in back cover edges back up. That way we do not have to stake it. Fabric we use come in 10' width in 500 yrd rolls.

Back up everyone! :LOL2:

The first official vegetable out of the garden...............................

A Habanero pepper!

2011-07-30_09-38-03_542.jpg

My garden here in St. L, is about all dried up due to the un Godly high temps we have been having... We have made lots of salsa and canned lots of tomato's. I have had to quit watering as its now a waste of money... I take that partialy back as I still am wattering the Okra, the pop corn and the peanuts.
Dug some sweet potatoes today and we had them for dinner.... MMmmmmm good.

That is one strange looking pepper.

radishes,beet greens first,peas and carrots now and beans and cuks plus a few blueberries.

Good lookin maters Jim...We made salsa again today. It will be the last batch as tomato's are all but dried up.. I have started planting for my fall garden... Put out lots of beets, will also plant peas and squash and spinach...If the weather will just cool off we should get some good fall crops.
Jalapeno's have done exceptionaly well this year...I do love those but don'ty think I could do the really hot harbenaro's (sp).We make salsa for my wife and our friends and then I make some a little hotter for me....good hot salsa and a margarita on our front porch is the best.

Come to find out that they are NOT straight Eights but some kind of pickling cucumber.

And they are over ripe....causing them to turn that color. They were green, but I was waiting for them to grow long. Now I know better.

Every day is a school day.............