Its almost Garden time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to get a bunch of cherry tomatoes. They are called ICE. Delicious!! They ripen to a yellow/whitish color and are super sweet. FINALLY starting to get some of my full size tomatoes to ripen up as well. Have a ton of green ones. Tomato sandwiches here I come!!!

It's interesting to see the amount of delay in planting and harvesting times between the different areas of the country by paying attention to each of your harvest reports and your location.

My tomatoes have gone from producing huge numbers of ripe tomatoes daily, to a big slow down in the amount, and are just now starting to get production back up to normal. (I consider normal to be somewhere around 8 tomatoes every other day from 11 plants). About half of my cucumber vines are dying right now. This has been the typical routine over the past few years and they always seem to be all dead by somewhere around mid Aug to the first of Sep. This year I tried doing a second (delayed/staggered) planting of cucumbers to see if that would get me more cuc's later in the year. My delayed plants are just now starting to show lots of small developing cuc's and new blooms, but I'm also noticing that some of the leaves appear to be dying the same as the other plants that die. So maybe it's just too hot for them to make it into the hotter months for this area.

yes, my cucs are starting to turn yellow. my zucchini and squash have seemed to slow down. my bean plants are taking a beating or should i say "eating" from the last remaining rabbit that lives in my yard. lets just say he gets out of dodge when i start making my way to the garden.

Attachments

• garden 1.jpg
    garden 1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 970
First time gardener. Good stuff. Been in a losing battle with weeds and storms. Storm came through a couple of days ago and blew over my tomato cages, cucumber cage, and corn (3rd time for the corn). However last night we made a huge pot of salsa from a few bags of tomatoes. Canned 14 32oz jars of pickles also. Still have cucumbers all over the kitchen table. Really excited for next season. Learned a lot (cucumbers try to take over the world) and have some ideas!

Yea, there's something about sweet corn that makes it fall over very easy in some wind. Mine, at least the part not eaten by the coons, blew over a few times. I always grow my cucumbers at the base of the chain link fence around my yard, so they climb that. Never have to worry about them blowing over although it is getting to be annoying having to clean the old dead vines out of the fence each year. It does make them easier to find/pick though, so maybe it's worth it. LoL

I bet that would be a pain. But it also sounds like a good idea. I may have to try that next year and put my peas on it too.

Nice looking chilies Jim.

I fear I am starting to run out of grow time for some of my stuff. Plus there are several plants I want to keep through the winter. Somehow I got my wife in on this thinking. Perhaps it was mentioning that herbs and all those weeds she eats she calls "salad" can be grown all year... if you have a place and equipment to do it.

So yesterday I checked some stuff on ebay and noticed that I (meaning my wife with my account) have ordered a nice looking 4x8x6 foot grow tent and a few LED grow lights.

It is funny because a lot of this stuff is obviously marketed for mary production (stealth shipping, etc). I guess if Johnny Law comes to visit my grow I can part with some basil. :LOL2:

SumDumGuy said:
Nice looking chilies Jim.

I fear I am starting to run out of grow time for some of my stuff. Plus there are several plants I want to keep through the winter. Somehow I got my wife in on this thinking. Perhaps it was mentioning that herbs and all those weeds she eats she calls "salad" can be grown all year... if you have a place and equipment to do it.

So yesterday I checked some stuff on ebay and noticed that I (meaning my wife with my account) have ordered a nice looking 4x8x6 foot grow tent and a few LED grow lights.

It is funny because a lot of this stuff is obviously marketed for mary production (stealth shipping, etc). I guess if Johnny Law comes to visit my grow I can part with some basil. :LOL2:

I am interested in this, I'm serious. Keep us updated.

Since i cant upload pics from my phone this week for some reason. I picked about 2 dozen matoes, couple squash, bunch of okra and a giant zucchini. I ended up having to use a ratchet strap to hold my cages up

Well, it's been a good year for tomatoes and cucumbers but lousy for corn and peas, for me at least. We've got our first freeze tonight with the cold front that's moving through right now. I've got to get all my tomatoes (including the green ones) picked today. I'll continue to enjoy them as the green ones slowly ripen in the closet but I'm already making plans for next spring. Hope everyone enjoyed the fruits of your labor in the garden this year.

Jim said:
I hate buying grocery store tomatoes!
I hate everything about store tomatoes. I will buy them from the roadside stands/vendors (which come from local farmers), but I all but refuse to buy them in the store unless I just have to have them. They're never ripe by my standards, always green in the middle. I ended up with 12 gallons of green tomatoes and there was another 2-3 gallons of small ones that the mower mulched.

Latest posts