Its almost Garden time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been loosing from 6 to 8 tomatoes a day to this pesky mockingbird. It has avoided my attempts to shoot it by flying off every time I open the door and it won't get close enough for a shot with the pellet gun if I'm outside. Yesterday I looked out the window to see that "momma" mockingbird has brought "junior" out with her and is teaching "junior" how to eat tomatoes. Big mistake. With mommas attention focused on junior, I slipped out the other door with my pellet rifle and put a stalk on them. Services for the two were brief and I look forward to being able to enjoy the fruits of my labor now. :mrgreen:

After setting out my racoon traps, I haven't had any more visits from those pest. Although I picked my first ear of corn yesterday, I'm probably not going to get much corn off of the first 4 rows. They were hit really hard by the coons. I've got 2 more rows that just started showing the first signs of silk this past week so hopefully I'll get to enjoy some of that. I'm leaving my traps out until the corn harvest is over.

Carolina Reaper in DWC hydro.

I'm going to bring this one indoors in the fall and see how long it will live.

reap.jpg

My garden is too pathetic to post a pic. I thought I was a gardener but compared to you guys I'm just a poser. Really nice gardens.

VinTin - man, that's a nice garden. I assume you live somewhere in the south. By June 9th I'd barely got my garden all planted. My soil is clayey and wouldn't dry out so I could get it prepared. I've really gotta deal with the quality of my soil this fall so I can get an earlier start next year.

BigTerp - looks like you are using the Square Foot Gardening method. Wondering what your experience has been. I've read the book but never have tried it. It seems good for limited space but maybe it's just a good way to make the most of any sized garden.

Jim - you like the peppers; I seem to remember you growing them in past years too. What do you do with them?

Had to google that one, had never heard of a Carolina reaper. Now that I'm aware of what it is and it's reputation, what do you do with something like that? :lol:

bobberboy said:
BigTerp - looks like you are using the Square Foot Gardening method. Wondering what your experience has been. I've read the book but never have tried it. It seems good for limited space but maybe it's just a good way to make the most of any sized garden.

It's been a learning experience. I had to do a lot of research to figure out what and how many of each plant I could plant per square foot. Also had to figure out harvest times to maximize my yield. I made a mistake by planting my carrots on the south side of my onions. Was figuring on my onions being taller than my carrots. But the opposite was true. Once the carrots starting shading my onions they pretty much stopped growing. I got a lot of pool ball and smaller sized onions that taste great, but they would have been much larger had I planted them differently. I get decent yields for the size of my garden (4'x4') but I'm considering adding another box for next year.

JMichael said:
Had to google that one, had never heard of a Carolina reaper. Now that I'm aware of what it is and it's reputation, what do you do with something like that? :lol:

Good question.... I am going to feed them to my wife and see if I get the usual reply, "Spicy a little bit."
In the past I gave here a ghost chili, but it did not get the response I was hoping for. She took a bite, made the reply, and threw it in her somtam with a bunch of thai chilies.

She's Thai and likes spicy, but I may get her on this one. :twisted:

SumDumGuy said:
Good question.... I am going to feed them to my wife and see if I get the usual reply, "Spicy a little bit."
To take a phrase from my kids, OMG! You've got to make a video of her trying that. I hope she don't beat the crap outta you but either way it should make a great video. =D>

Jim, I've seen some absolutely huge Zucchini squash before but I've never see a yellow squash that big. What type of (squash I'm assuming) is that big yellow one. I see the typical crookneck in the back, I think, so the big one has me wondering.

JMichael said:
Jim, I've seen some absolutely huge Zucchini squash before but I've never see a yellow squash that big. What type of (squash I'm assuming) is that big yellow one. I see the typical crookneck in the back, I think, so the big one has me wondering.

They are called Gold Rush....I guess they are supposed to be picked by the time they reach 8 inches? I was away and pulled it when I first saw it.

https://parkseed.com/gold-rush-hybrid-squash-seeds/p/05331-PK-P1/

You get asparagus the 2nd year. My mom planted some a couple years ago. She was not happy this spring when i walked through her garden eating all of it raw......
Here is a pic of yesterdays harvest. The squash, zucs and some of the beans went to the elderly couple across the street

Attachments

• 20150713_203741.jpg
    20150713_203741.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 894
Those green beans sure do look tasty. I'd like to have some fresh from the garden and steamed.

I've been giving a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers away to family and neighbors. But there have been a few times when I had more than they were taking. In those cases I have been taking a sack full of each out to the local rehab center/nursing home for their patients. They really enjoy the fresh veggies.

Out of my first 4 rows of corn that I planted, I only got 4 ears of corn and the coons got the rest. :evil: The 2 rows that I planted later are showing good silk and they may have a chance of growing to maturity now that I trapped a second coon last night. It's taken a long time to get him, but hopefully he is the last. I'll leave my traps out for a few more nights just in case though.

Not the most ideal kinda of day to do it but I tore out the 4 rows of corn that the coons demolished and after a good tilling, planted 4 rows of purple hull peas. I hope I get more from them than I did from the corn that use to reside there. :cry: Have been thoroughly enjoying my tomatoes and cucumbers though.

Peas.JPG

1 day of 90 degree weather and the garden goes nuts. I pick maters early before stink bugs get on them

Attachments

• 20150720_190610.jpg
    20150720_190610.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 871
Looking good, makes me wish I had planted some squash, but looking at some of the other stuff on here like the green beans, makes me wish I had more garden space. LoL I've enjoyed an abundance of tomatoes for the last few weeks. But it appears that I'm going to have a lull in production now. I've got about a half dozen or so tomatoes that are of any size and turning red right now but after they are gone all I have are some up and coming green ones that will take a while to reach maturity. I can only hope that they will produce enough to keep me satisfied but I definitely won't be giving any more away for a while.

Latest posts