Saturday on the Skuke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbirocz

Reaction score
Mike and I headed up to my cabin to try for some smallies. I have not done all that well at this spot so far this year, so I was hoping for a better trip. After the walk out there we found the water to be only slightly stained and still fairly low, so things were looking up. Unfortunately a cold front passed through the night before, so the fish were still tight lipped.

We both started out fishing craw pattern soft plastics, and I hooked up after 10 or 15 mins. I landed a smallie under a foot long. We went a while till the next bite, where I landed another smallie probly around 13". We continued fishing with little action until Mike hit a chunky smallie on a soft plastic craw. I then got another smaller fish on a spinnerbait, and Mike got another on the craw. All were around 12-14". This is when the kayakers started flowing. A group of 4 came through, then a group or 6 or 7, then two more. I switched up to on of Dave's small swimbaits and nose hooked it and started swimming it around.

After a while I hooked into a better fish, and landed it, it was just over 18" but pretty skinny. With all of the kayak traffic we decided to move to another spot and give that a try. We walked a few hundred yards downstream and only stayed there for 5 or 10 minutes due to an insane amount of mosquitos. We headed back up to where we started and I hooked a tiny smallie on a tube that was an inch shorter than the tube. That was it for the day, other than Mike almost hooking a few very interested carp.

While the fishing could have been better, we still had a good time.

Here is one of Mike's fish, he has my picture on his camera

71809mikeskukesm.jpg

Awesome day to trek across a mountain. Although the bite wasn't intense, I still enjoyed the views, and the opportunity to fish an awesome stretch of river. Thanks again to Jake for the invite.

Picture1825.jpg

Latest posts