Stump removal advice!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a pine stump, don't even think about yanking it out with a truck.

I made this mistake a few years ago. Figured if I left some slack in the chain, and got a little running start, it would be like pulling a tooth.

WRONG! :shock:

A couple of people watching said the back end of the truck lifted off the ground about a foot, hopped sideways about 2 feet, and the chain sparked. And it **** near put me into the windshield. Needless to say, the stump didn't move....and there was not a repeat attempt, LOL

Ended up digging around it as deep as I could, then cutting it off with a chainsaw.

Got a bunch of good fat lighter from it, enough to last me several years.

onthewater102 said:
funny thing tends to happen when METAL cans explode...bits of metal go everywhere

When I was in college the local fu<ktards were having a party and one of them thought it would be fun to throw a keg in a fire that was burning in an old steel barrel. Keg blew, barrel blew, about a dozen or so ended up in the hospital, one in the refrigerated section. Call the police on that @$$clown the next time he's out doing that.

Do you suck the fun out of everything?

PSG-1 said:
If it's a pine stump, don't even think about yanking it out with a truck.

Some trees have a tap root that goes straight down into ground directly beneath the trunk of the tree. You can cut all of the roots around the sides thinking you have cut all of the roots away but the tap root still has a firm hold on the tree. It would take a bulldozer to pull it out.

onthewater102 said:
funny thing tends to happen when METAL cans explode...bits of metal go everywhere

When I was in college the local fu<ktards were having a party and one of them thought it would be fun to throw a keg in a fire that was burning in an old steel barrel. Keg blew, barrel blew, about a dozen or so ended up in the hospital, one in the refrigerated section. Call the police on that @$$clown the next time he's out doing that.
If he wants to blow himself up, who am I to get in the way of evolution. I really do believe in Darwin. Besides we get to watch from a safe distance without any of the risk so as the saying goes "It's no skin off my nose".

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
onthewater102 said:

Do you suck the fun out of everything?
:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Not near as much fun as burnin' stuff or blowin' it up but I have heard you can use rock salt to speed the stump rotting out. Just drill large holes in it after cutting it close to the ground and fill them with the rock salt. Then wait, and wait.

Might be safer too. :LOL2:

Barefoot_Johnny said:
wow

where can the average Joe Q. Public get one of those ????
Can't..... It's an Ahab creation, that's what he makes me split his firewood with. I get beatings when it is split too big for the wood stove, or if its split too small. I think the beatings might be random.

BassAddict said:
Barefoot_Johnny said:
wow

where can the average Joe Q. Public get one of those ????
Can't..... It's an Ahab creation, that's what he makes me split his firewood with. I get beatings when it is split too big for the wood stove, or if its split too small. I think the beatings might be random.

All beatings are done on a set (and secret) schedule

Nothing is random

Edit:
That's okay guys - found it on E-Bay anywhere from $100 to $250.00.
Will be going to my Aviation Surplus Salvage store soon and If I can find
a slow speed high torque motor, gonna get me one of those things !!!!
can anyone guess about how fast that motor is turning ?? 100 RPMs ?? 500 ??
splitter drill.JPG

I viewed a few vids on them but did not pay attention to speed other than one ran on a car's wheel must have been running at idle speed.

https://screwlogsplitter.com/faq.html

A few hundred R.P.M. for a top range would be plenty enough to get tangled in I imagine. #-o
Should work on reasonably grained foot diameter stuff and under at a five hundred R.P.M. max. (my estimate).
Speed will become heat, so too much more than what is needed will be waste and risk overheating screw material.

The Stickler brand screw requires about 150-200 RPM to work right, but the manufacturer of each brand screw should be the final answer to what R.P.M. requirements fit your particular screw.
A convenient kill switch sounds like a good idea.

Waif - - that is exactly what I came up with today. I have a 1/2" electric drill that turns 600rpm
which looks way too fast . . . so I am thinking 200-300 rpm will do.
then, my second thought, what IF the point of that screw got into the palm of your hand ?????
that nightmare would skewer all the way up your arm and exit your elbow .....
so a foot held kill switch would be mandatory.
Looking forward to a rig like this. much much cheaper than a hydraulic splitter and much quieter
and smaller logs easier to handle. I need 10-12" material for my wood stove.
will post some pics after I get it all together. LOL I have all summer to work on it.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
are you in the city limits ?
how close is your nearest neighbor?
is there a "no burn" in effect in your county?

yes, the way my neighbor does it is to put a big of charcoal on it and burn it out.
couple of lawn chairs, some cold brew, hot dogs for the kids, that'll work right there.
The object is add fuel TO the stump, don't use the stump as fuel.
Pouring accelerant onto it over and over is just wasting your fuel and time.
slow HOT burn will do the trick nicely. If you have a big steel ring or half of a steel 55 gl drum
to make a fire ring, that will contain your fire as well as add the ambiance to the cookout.

True story:
when I was a kid, (1060) my dad was helping his uncle blast some stumps with dynamite
after a storm knocked down some big trees.
There was this huge black walnut stump that they first tried with the tractor.
then, 1/4 stick of dynamite - didn't budge it..
another 1/4 stick - bunch of smoke and some dirt. same result.
we went way back into the field, full stick of dynamite - - -
BOOM !!! the core of that stump went straight up, and up, and up and up - - -
then, came down, and down and down and down - - -
like in slow motion - landed on the front porch roof.
Granny came running out raising hell and screaming.
funniest thing I have ever seen since then !!!
But, could have been a totally different devastating day if it had been 15-20 feet over into the house.

but yes, get the green wood hot enough with the charcoal and it will burn right out.
It may take a couple of evenings, but, it can be a fun family time also.

.......sounds familiar...............A friend of mine was 16 when he and his father went to work on a huge Oak stump in their front yard in the 70s. After a day of digging w a backhoe it still wouldn't budge. Red clay and rocks surrounded the taproot and huge roots, some they cut w a chainsaw. Dad offered him $100 to get the thing out of the ground ( assuming he would use the backhoe ) as he went to work the next morning. Daryl dug for a few hours and then hatched a plan. He got a brace and bit w a 1" auger and drilled a hole in the center of the stump. When the bit bottomed out he welded a rebar to it an drilled some more, he added another piece until he had drilled 8-10' into the stump. Then he got a can of Black Powder and poured some in the hole, then he poured some more in the hole. Satisfied, he put a fuse down the hole and then poured sand down there, packing the last foot or so w clay. He lit the fuse and hid behind a large tree in his yard. There was an earth shaking KABOOM as the shattered stump jumped out of the hole w huge splinters of stump, rocks, chunks of red clay flying into the sky. ALL of the front windows of his house and several neighbors across the street were blown out and the debris rained down on 7 or more roofs causing damage to more houses. Mission accomplished, the stump was gone. He spent the rest of the summer and the $100 his dad gave him, fixing roofs and windows.