Stump removal advice!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle bought a piece of property that was basically a forest it had several hundred trees on it. Well he had most of them cut down and instead of removing the stumps he filled the property with a couple feet of fill dirt. Then seeded and in a year or so had a beautiful lawn with a nice house in the middle. Move forward about 6 years and he gets up one morning to head to work when he walks out his front door he sees the entire front of his pickup in a hole about 5' deep. He couldn't figure out what happened but come to find ALL those stumps had rotted away and over next few months they found about 200 holes all over the yard. You couldn't walk in the yeard for months without finding a new hole.

where'd my post go? LOL musta not hit the send button this morning
when my wife was on me to go go go to the store......

anywho, Mike - speaking of my 8N, oh you betcha that PTO has TORQUE !!!
but, I would like to have a foot controlled kill switch "just in case" anything went bad.
(and it could too, very very quickly with that wood screw gizmo).
Just yesterday, I got the 8N back together after being parted in two for
cleaning for over a year..... back together with fresh oil, fresh gas, charged the battery
and it kicked on with the 3rd try. It amazes me how an old farm tractor can
be outside in the weather for over 60 years and still run like a top !!
I parted it last year to clean the sludge out of the sump and new valves on
the hyd. pump - lost interest in it and it just sat under a tarp.....
now, it's up and running again - good as gold.
8N transmission 009.JPG
8N transmission 015.JPG
8N transmission 017.JPG

yes, the Jubilee and "N" series are very similar.
We all enjoy reading the stories and seeing the photos of
old stuff in the "as found" condition and through the restoration process.
I find the same satisfaction in fixing up old farm machinery, cars and boats.
I found this 1952 8N tractor in a cow pasture where it has sat for unknown years.
The previous owner thought it would sell better on C/L if he slapped on some lipstick
and give it some good reviews in his ad.
LOL you can only imagine how that rattle-can orange paint job looked up close !!!!
Looking past the obvious cosmetics and 4 rotten tires, it looked salvageable.
we hee-hawed back and forth from $500 to $1500 and I got it for $900.
It still has the same sparkplugs, distributor and points as when found. It is staggering
how these old tractors can be well over 60 years old and with a little love, they
can get up and run and keep up with the best of them. And very easy to maintain.
Put about two grand into it and this is what it looked like "as found" and then two years
later with a whole lot of new stuff and some fresh paint.
Ford 8N as found.jpg
Ford 8N Tractor.JPG

Yea I hear they practically give those new rear tires away these days. :shock: There are lots of those size tractors of that era around this part of the country. A good friend has an international with all sorts of attachments for it.

I suppose it would be possible to use the PTO on the front of my tractor to drive that worm-screw splitter...now you've got me thinking about it again...**** it

The company I found on E-Bay can make the screws to your specs.
any size, right or left rotation, and connect to any shaft you have.
also, your specific PTO shaft.
My concern on the PTO is the torque and no way to shut it off if
you get caught up in it.......
I had a favorite uncle and his son-in-law have a very bad and almost
deadly accident with a 8N tractor and I have been ever so cautious
after seeing them go through that. (long story).
One must really have a PLAN B when working with something like this.
splitter drill.JPG
If one were to consider the PTO route, I would suggest having the drill
fit the standard round 1" shaft - - - then find an old PTO coupler and weld
a 1" round shaft onto that - - - thus preserving the interchangeability of the screw.

I'm not going to do it, i was just thinking it'd be possible. It's a belt driven PTO, so I'd need to fabricate a table that could attach to the side/front of the tractor so I could fix the distance between the tractor and the splitter...more fabricating than it's worth - cheaper and easier to buy an electric motor & move the firewood to the front of the property where I have access to a power outlet.

forget the gadgets...why hasn't anyone suggested Tannerite???

[youtube]_JHZjxq_9oQ[/youtube]

I am ashamed my first thought on this matter was anything but clearly the most time-efficient solutions of all 8)

onthewater102 said:
forget the gadgets...why hasn't anyone suggested Tannerite???

[youtube]_JHZjxq_9oQ[/youtube]

See page 1 :wink:

We do a lot of blasting for my work. Although I let my personal blasters license expire after 9/11 due to the massive regulatory changes that ensued....... my mind still quickly jumps to "Boom" for the solution to a variety of regular, around the house chores.

Back in the old days, you could just go to the hardware store, and ask for dynamite. They'd ask you "for ditching, or for stumping?" as from what I understand, there were 2 different types. You could also buy a Thompson submachine gun from the hardware store with no paperwork, no questions asked. Sadly, those days are long gone.

Not that all that regulation has made us any safer, since terrorists and criminals can still obviously get their hands on firearms from the black market, and they make their own IED's, as proven in the San Bernadino incident.

Depending on the state you live in Tannerite can be bought from Basspro Shops or Cabela's

Duckfish, I'm sorry - I was lazy and/or forgetful that yes, you did point it out. Good man.

e984f8abe5027bbca0b62fe936b6bfdc.jpg