The truth about Bait casters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't hunt squirrel with a .308. You don't hunt elk with a .22.

You don't trim a room with a framing hammer. You don't drive posts with a tack hammer.

There's a Country Song in the making right there! :roll:

Just sayin'

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326808#p326808 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » Today, 06:12[/url]"]Why switch hands at all?

Agreed.

I switched hands for quite a few years. Once I made the switch all I could do was wonder why I did it in the first place.

I prefer baitcasters to spinning reels, because bait casters aren't as prone to line twisting, which is very important when you are continuously reeling and casting, such as jigs, mirro lures, etc

i use them about 50%, i started with one when i was 8. my grandma bought me one, after me telling her how much better they were. i have atleast one in the boat at all times. i have always used them.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326808#p326808 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 21 Aug 2013, 09:12[/url]"]Why switch hands at all?

I just tend to show off that way. I can take a bait-chunker in both hands and cast to the same spot with uncanny accuracy, also.

Why switch hands? Because spinning reels rely on the rod to hoist in the fish whereas baitcasters rely on the reel to crank in the fish. You are suppose to use your favored hand for each. I also find it hard reeling the smaller handle of a baitcaster with my left hand. Feels goofy.

okay update. I finally did it. I got a lews speed spool and a decent rod. did everything everyone said. and it worked great. only one small bird nest all day, and it was my fault. I think I like it. I caught 6 fish on the baitcaster and got skunked on my spinning setup. so far baitcaster 6 spinning 1. Thanks for all the advise from everyone.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331026#p331026 said:
03sp500 » Today, 06:58[/url]"]okay update. I finally did it. I got a lews speed spool and a decent rod. did everything everyone said. and it worked great. only one small bird nest all day, and it was my fault. I think I like it. I caught 6 fish on the baitcaster and got skunked on my spinning setup. so far baitcaster 6 spinning 1. Thanks for all the advise from everyone.

You will LOVE that reel!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328131#p328131 said:
DrNip » September 1st, 2013, 11:26 pm[/url]"]Why switch hands? Because spinning reels rely on the rod to hoist in the fish whereas baitcasters rely on the reel to crank in the fish. .

LOL... HUH!?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325205#p325205 said:
QueDawg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 pm[/url]"]One tip with backlashes, strip off some line, put pressure on the spool with your thumbnail and reel in some line. Some times it takes a few rounds of doing this, but it works very well for me.

YES - People are always amazed when I show them this neat little trick

BTW I am almost 100% spinning and can do anything with my spinning reels that you can with your old baitcasters (except spinning sucks for throwing big spinnerbaits and such)

I love my spinning reel and it would be pretty hard to get me to change to a baitcast. I like fishing, not dealing with birdnests, which have been my experience with baitcasts. It would be nice if it was easier to throw big baits with a spinning reel though.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331149#p331149 said:
MiPikeGuy » 8 minutes ago[/url]"]I love my spinning reel and it would be pretty hard to get me to change to a baitcast. I like fishing, not dealing with birdnests, which have been my experience with baitcasts. It would be nice if it was easier to throw big baits with a spinning reel though.

Once you get good with a BC....it's not an issue.

There are places for both, and nobody forces anyone to throw either. To each their own.

I started fishing with bait casters before drags and free spool was widely available spooled with braided nylon or dacron. When spin casters became available, we went the Zebco 33 for light baits in fresh water and then took up spinning gear when it became popular.

The bait casting reels available today with mono line are a world apart from the old days. I fished braided line for years and truthfully have no use for braid except for certain applications. I have found several nice plugs on the flats with braid tied directly to the lure and a piece of braid tied to the lure. Mono stretches while braid breaks due to impact.

Spinning gear enabled people who could not cast with a casting reel an easy way to get into fishing. It is a shame, but a lot of people stop right there and do not master casting reels.

Learn to use both systems and you will find that they have different uses. If you want accuracy, the casting reel takes the prize. If you want very light lures, the spinning reel gets the nod.

We used Penn 60's for Salmon, but I never tried casting with them.
Mitchell 300's for Trout. Sold the Mitchells and went fly fishing only.
Now I'm down south.
I have Bait casters. Minimally I can get the bait in the water.
There is no better Reel for catching fish. =P~
But for Casting it makes an Angry Embarrassed and disgusted fisherman outta me. :twisted: And normally I'm a nice guy! :mrgreen:

Thudpucker, you sound like someone just one tiny step from mastering the casting reels. Keep trying it and all of a sudden your thumb is trained and you are good to go. Stop the cast by feathering the thumb pressure on the spool and do not wait for the spool to stop on its own.

Hopefully you are using mono of the proper diameter for the reel, have a decent reel to work with, and just need a little adjustment to master the tool.

The first adjustment is to hold the rod horizontally and adjust the spool tension so the lure just barely pulls line off the spool. As you become more comfortable with casting you can get by with less pressure on the axle of the spool.

Depending on the type of casting control on the reel, adjust it to retard the spinning of the spool during a cast. Then make gentle casts not trying for much distance. As you gain confidence, loosen up the cast control mechanism a little at a time. Here again when you gain experience you can lighten up that feature.

Then the best part - post and tell us how well you are doing :)

A handsome Reply. =D>
I'll be out the next sunny day with that thing (one of them things) and see if my Techno-Billy is all correct.
Then lookout Targets.

I'll have to find the Casting net too. :lol:

When trolling a conventional reel with a line counter makes it a lot easier to be at the depth you want where the fish are more likely to be hanging. There is also no memory effect as with line on a spinning reel.

It is not an either or situation as both have their strengths and weaknesses. I would rather use a spinning reel for 4-8 lb line and a conventional reel where I need a lot of cranking power. Lever drag and two speeds are found only on conventional reels and they can be great to have in certain situations.

Latest posts