The truth about Bait casters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baitcasters are like women; no matter how good they look or perform, every now and again they'll backlash like crazy for no apparent reason.

(Credit to Greg Knowles)

Still like my Abu 4601C3.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331038#p331038 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 02 Oct 2013, 08:05[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328131#p328131 said:
DrNip » September 1st, 2013, 11:26 pm[/url]"]Why switch hands? Because spinning reels rely on the rod to hoist in the fish whereas baitcasters rely on the reel to crank in the fish. .

LOL... HUH!?

A baitcaster is designed to be used like a winch. It's the reel that is used to retrieve the fish therefor the reel should be in your stronger hand.

A spinning reel is designed to pick up unloaded or loose line, not retrieve the fish like a baitcaster is designed for. The spinning rod is used to retrieve the fish therefor the rod is in your stronger hand.

Most people are right handed therefor more right handed baitcasters on the market.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336135#p336135 said:
DrNip » Yesterday, 9:54 pm[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331038#p331038 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 02 Oct 2013, 08:05[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=328131#p328131 said:
DrNip » September 1st, 2013, 11:26 pm[/url]"]Why switch hands? Because spinning reels rely on the rod to hoist in the fish whereas baitcasters rely on the reel to crank in the fish. .

LOL... HUH!?

A baitcaster is designed to be used like a winch. It's the reel that is used to retrieve the fish therefor the reel should be in your stronger hand.

A spinning reel is designed to pick up unloaded or loose line, not retrieve the fish like a baitcaster is designed for. The spinning rod is used to retrieve the fish therefor the rod is in your stronger hand.

Most people are right handed therefor more right handed baitcasters on the market.

I've never seen anyone winch a fish in...... Unless it's bluefin tuna...I think my off-hand can handle it. If you cast 500 to 1000 times a day, and switch hands doing it....you're doing at least 50% more work. Doesn't make sense.

I can cast with both hands there are times that I need to do this to get the bait where the fish are.
I also reel my spinning reel with my right hand I broke my left arm and have limited flexibility in the wrist.
Changing hands after a cast comes naturally to me and I don't think about it.
if growing up and all that you had was right hand reels I think you would have done the same thing.
when the left hand reels first came out you where limited to choices. now most reels offer both left and right reels
it may look stupid to some but it works for others.

I'm a righty and prefer to reel with my left hand, whether baitcast or spinning, and work the rod with my 'strong' hand.

It 'feels' right, and works for me, so I go with it.

I've never seen anyone winch a fish in...... Unless it's bluefin tuna...I think my off-hand can handle it. If you cast 500 to 1000 times a day, and switch hands doing it....you're doing at least 50% more work. Doesn't make sense.
Just simply telling why it is the way it is. Does it make since? Maybe to some and maybe not to others. Fish whatever way you guys want to. I have fished both hands and prefer the baitcaster to be in my strong hand simply because the short radius of the handle feels goofy in my left hand unlike a spinning reel.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325205#p325205 said:
QueDawg » 07 Aug 2013, 20:23[/url]"]One tip with backlashes, strip off some line, put pressure on the spool with your thumbnail and reel in some line. Some times it takes a few rounds of doing this, but it works very well for me.

Agreed, but I don't strip off line to start, I just rest my thumb lightly on the reel while I turn the handle about 4 times and then gently pull the line out. Unless the back lash is deeply set, this will release a lot of the back lashes. I don't know why but it is something I saw on TV.

Is your preference magnetic brake control, centrifugal or both? I am a novice at this but I own a couple of good centrifugal brake bait casters reels that I really do like. I would not have bought the second one centrifugal brake reel if I had used a cheap centrifugal brake reel first. I use my magnetic brake reels mostly for crappie, jigging or heavier lures and weights.

if you want to be the best fisherman you can be you must be able to use all the tools of the trade. being limited to just spinning gear severely limits your versatility to be able to use a lot of presentations that require a baitcaster no matter what species your after. a good mechanic can use every tool in his box to get the job done, if an angler has all this tackle to fish with and not the right gear most of his tackle is not gonna help him catch fish because he cant use his tackle effectively...

For the money this is hard to beat at the moment

https://www.basspro.com/Browning-Aggressor-Baitcasting-Reel/product/1311080715241/?cm_sp=COTWBrnAggBCMar2014_HM

$59 for a full aluminum frame and spool with both centrifugal and magnetic free-spool controls - good drag power too

Bait casting reels above most everything else You get what you paid for
Most of the cheaper reels just are not as smooth as the higher priced reels
I have seen many anglers start with a cheaper baitcasting reel and never figure it out

Reels, especially baitcasting reels, are pieces of machinery and should not rely on plastic parts. If the side plate covers are graphite it's no big deal, but you want an aluminum frame for the main body of the reel as it won't deform over time and will maintain the alignment of all the inner workings. Apart from that you want metal bearings - don't get caught up in the count, more might simply be compensating for lower production tolerances on the other components...just make sure they're metal and the reel has no play in it (wobble in the crank or the spool).

I've had excellent luck with BassPro Shops Pro-Qualifiers - but they'll set you back $80 even on sale (which they are)...the browning model they have up now isn't a bad price - but I've never held one to say whether or not its pinned together solidly.

I have owned just about every brand of bait caster made. My top 3 are Shimano, Daiwa, Abu Garcia. Between fishing about 12 bass tournaments a year and being store manager of a bait and tackle shop, I had the chance to try just about everything out there. The best bang for your buck I feel is the Shimano Citica.

I had to learn how to fish with a baitcast reel when I was young. My dad always had Ranger boats and tourny fished. His rules were no live bait in his boat and baitcasters only. I recently picked up a Daiwa Tatulu 100H and Daiwa rod. Going to try it out saturday

I learned on spinners, then decided to learn how to use baitcasters, with the help of YouTube and several dozen backlashes, I got it. I always carry both, as I use them for different applications. I do feel like the man loading my baitcasters though! :p

I bought a Lews bait caster looked at a bunch of youtube videos on how to untangle a nest. I got 2 nests the first time out and have been good ever since. I also carry both rods but the bait caster is my first choice as of now.. seems like neither one of the darn things attract any of them fish things. but that's a different story

www.bassresource.com

Great site for all different technique how-to videos without an overbearing amount of product placement. Stick to Gene Jenson's videos - he's the guy with the red hat and the goatee

I have a couple of Daiwa baitcasters that will cast a 1/16 oz. crappie jig or crank admirably. That being said, they retail for over $400 and are still $250-$300 in good used condition. Plus, they have a ton of upgrades internally(I'm a freak like that). I occasionally buy a spinning reel, only to sell it off before winter sets in. I do have couple of ultralight spinning set-ups for bream on bed and trout fishing, though.

Latest posts