What size TM do you run?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Board,

I've got a Smokercraft 168MG tiller steer boat with a 46# Minn Kota on the bow and a 40# Minn Kota on the stern. I don't troll with them but rather I use them to move around to fishing spots on smaller electric only lakes. I do have batteries for each motor. Either one moves the boat with 2 of us in it just fine but I think I will step up to a 55# motor on the bow in year or two.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I either run a maxxum 55 transom mount or a 50 endura. I always say i would rather run a big motor at low power than a small motor at high power

Minn Kota powerdrive V2 55lb bow mount on a 16 ft legend prosport.. Loaded with gear and gas I'm probably 900lbs+ and the motor has plenty of power. I also feel its better to run a big motor on low speed rather than a small one fast. My battery life is good - 8hr day on the water and battery still has life left... Haven't had a day or weekend yet where I thought the battery was dying.. And it's only a gr24 size.

im with gypsy and basstender, the bigger the better for battery use.. ive only had two over the years and always bought the biggest i could afford...and always minn kota. i got a pd 50 and im around 8-900lbs loaded down and it does ok for me but i only use it to putt around on the local no wake lakes going from spot to spot and rarely troll when fishing exept to control my drifts

(2) MK Endura 55# on the stern, (1) 45# MG on the bow

Splash said:
Im debating what size of trolling motor I should be looking at for my 16 foot aluminum crestliner. I want t new bowmount, and I also only want to still with one battery for it, so I think that limits me to 55 lbs.

With that being said, I always assumed more to be better and was thinking Id get the 55 lbs model, but im not really sure how necessary that is.

So how big of trolling motors do you guys run, and is biggest always better in this situation?

Splash.... Did you get your trolling yet? What you go with?

I ended up finding a slightly used Power Drive Original, 55 lbs bow mount. Unfortunately for me, I didnt buy it until the fall, so I am still waiting to finally try it out. Based on the opinions I've seen, it should be more than enough for my 16 footer.

I ordered the the MK PDV2 55 with a 48 inch shaft should be more than enough on my 14' princecraft fisherman. I'm just wondering about the quick connects has. Anyone used the two piece plastic ones are they any good?

I have my 21 ft triton and have a 109 lb thrust motor guide

my small tin boat has a 55lb thrust minkota on it and it is fine 90% of the time but when the wind comes up i wish i had my 109

Latest posts