wood options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabsandbottlecaps

Reaction score
Putting new floor and deck Down but don't want to use marine plywood what are some other options I can do I am going to wrap wood with vinyl cover like u see at the bass pro shop can I use a birch pressure treated plywood finish it with some type of sealer then vinyl it any good input would help

Pressure treated is a big no no, copper in it reacts with bare aluminum. I have never seen pressure treated birch ply, is it like the furniture grade stuff? I am using MDO ply for my decks and boxes, I have had good luck with it in the past. Planning to seal it with spar varnish.

You want an exterior grade plywood. ACX, BCX the X means its made with water proof glue.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339253#p339253 said:
crabsandbottlecaps » 21 Jan 2014, 12:28[/url]"]Md do u get at home depot or Lowes
And x wood same ?

MDO is called sign board. It has a resign inpregnated paper on the face, It is designed for outdoor signs. It will last a long time in the elements, especially if you seal the edges. MDO is good if you are going to paint because the face is nice and smooth, if you are going to carpet or vinyl the floor I doubt it matters much.

I used 5/8 plywood exterior grade. I then put 3 coats spar urethane on both sides and egde.

Thanks for posting Crabs, I have wondered the same thing myself. I have found 3 options here in my area of Ontario.

Retail prices from sepecialty lumber places:
-traditional marine grade 3/4" $146/sht-too expensive
-marine grade fir $100 sheet-
-marine grade pine $71 sheet (too far away and delivery in $200-250)
-something called LUMA $49.00 sheet (they were sold out)

I was able to find a wholesaler that will sell me traditional marine grade for $101/sheet. I am picking it up Thursday.

On another site a guy mentioned that he used Baltic Birch and coated the edges and surfaces with fiberglass resin before wrapping it with vinyl.

Thx for the picture posting tips.

Do the experienced guys on here recommend that marine grade be coated with something like spar varnish before it is wrapped in vinyl?

I think no matter what you choose sealing it with spar or epoxy can only help to protect it. Probably last a few seasons more. I would be really cautious about using baltic birch furniture grade plywood. I use it to build furniture and cabinets and have used the scraps to build temporary stuff. If any of it get rained on the glue lets go, it delaminates and falls apart. That stuff is for indoor use only.

i personally just used regular grade $25 sheet of 19/32 plywood from lowes. coated the top with resin, and kept my template. going on year two and its perfectly fine, and since i already have the template, if i have to redo the deck in 4 or 5 years, it'll take an hour to cut, carpet, and lay down the deck. do that 5 times in 10 - 15 years, and im still way ahead than spending $100+ for a single sheet of plywood.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339315#p339315 said:
JoshKeller » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:36 pm[/url]"]i personally just used regular grade $25 sheet of 19/32 plywood from lowes. coated the top with resin, and kept my template. going on year two and its perfectly fine, and since i already have the template, if i have to redo the deck in 4 or 5 years, it'll take an hour to cut, carpet, and lay down the deck. do that 5 times in 10 - 15 years, and im still way ahead than spending $100+ for a single sheet of plywood.
+1

Use exterior grade plywood and coat it with epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth on top and edges and about 2 inches in on the underside. Allow it to set-up properly and then glue down your vinyl or carpet and it will outlast which ever you're using. As long as air can circulate to help dry out the underside if it gets wet and you use a good sealant on any screws or whatever else your using to fasten down the flooring so moisture doesn't get inside the plywood it should last for quite some time.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340169#p340169 said:
crabsandbottlecaps » 29 Jan 2014, 18:26[/url]"]Looking at sanded pine plywood
Going to coat in spar then vinyl
Good idea or wood to soft for decking and box covers

Just make sure it has glue rated for outdoors. Most plywood in my area is fir which is about the same hardness as pine.